.......idle jottings

ho-hum

I suspect most of those views are Jim's, re-checking his spelling and grammar...

Busted! Hey, I lost a pint of premium bitter to Mr. Hum over this silly thread.:eek: But I will have fun drinking with him in his local, I am sure. Ragnar, have you ever taken your pony to Sedona? There is a very nice dog friendly 12 room hacienda there. El Portal. All rooms are different and it is convenient to most of Sedona. Our 17 lbs of attitude female Silky terrier went after a Bull Mastiff there. The Bull just shook his head in amazement and sat down. :D

Ho-hum, do you have a dog or dogs? If so how do you travel so often?

He-who-must-be-obeyed, below, will not let us travel without him often :o He lets us take him wine tasting around California, and to the many national parks in the southwest US, whenever we want. He gets the whole back seat. He does let us take a couple of two week trips by ourselves per year, as long as we leave him a new victim to subjugate while we are away :eek:

Holy moley !

What the be-jezus is that ?

Half horse, half rotweiller ?

Does he have a name ? Maybe Attilla. It looks like an Attilla. (Rhymes with "killer").

OK so now ho hum has calmed down.

It looks quite intelligent. Too intelligent for ho hum.

Maybe it could help out with ho num's SD booking handling though !

"OK Miami, if you dont sort out ho hum's booking, he will be sending round Attilla. Ho hum's trained negotiator" !

And is that, the first animal "selfie" ?

It's looking directly into the camera as if it took the shot !

Ho hum is beginning to like it more and more.

And it goes wine tasting with you !

Well I'll be damned !

What is it inclined to drink ?

A New Zealand "Dog Point" perhaps ?

Probably cant abide a "Cat"-auneuf-du-pape.

Maybe a "bone" dry chablis perhaps.

Oh you're so funny ho hum.

How old are you ? 11 ?

Haha

Sorry, to return to your question. No ho hum does'nt have pets.

But if he did, he would have two Jack Russells to chase the rabbits.

Our house is not that big, so small terriers would be perfect.

And we would call them Billy & Bolly after two of his favourite champagnes: Biilecart-Salmon & Bollinger that are neighbours together in the village of Ay.

Have visited them both, naturally. Exquisite champagnes.

Had a bottle of the B-S rose in fact last night, bought by a friend whom we met on SD and who we regularly sail with in the winter.

He hails from Sydney, Australia. Travels with his mother.

The crew adore them both, as do we.

He is visiting the UK and had a small party of business and personal friends on the roof top of this Conran hotel in which we are currently staying.

Christophe too is a fan of this hotel. So it must be good. We email to tell him of the stay.

We had a nice meal together on the hip hotel roof terrace (Boundary, Shoreditch, London).

The party was full of smart, intelligent, twenty-something lawyers. What a great bunch.

The roof terrace for the public was favoured by even more exotic hip young people who had to queue to get a place !

Lots of beautiful young men and women sipping exotic drinks and posing outrageously.

Abenaki you would adore this place. Attached is a photo of a smartly upholstered arm chair in the American patchwork style just for you.

Sorry, ho hum does get carried away. To return.

Ho hum would also love two cats. Tortoise shell cats. Would love them from kittens.

But we also have an abundance of wild life and birds around our house which give ho hum a lot of pleasure. So a cat would probably not be a good idea.

We do have carp in the pond, does that count ?

They dont really need feeding but we have an automatic feeder set up dispensing food supposedly appropriate to keep them healthy.

Ho hum has several SD chums who have pets and really love them and so miss them greatly when they are away on board. It must be difficult.

PS

May ho hum and blondie offer our services as dog sitters for the time you are away.

The thought of taking Attilla to wine tastings and the great parks in your part of the world sounds amazing.

Maybe we could drive over to Arizona to meet up with Jim and scare the "Be-jezus" out of him with Attilla.

But we would miss seeing you guys.

No we would see you at handover at the beginning and end. No that would work.

image.jpg.442d24b9aa68153c3ad8b1d108605bad.jpg

I need a scopolomine patch after looking at that headboard and chair :eek:

He-who-must-be-obeyed's name cannot be spoken, else he may arise. A pictogram of his name is below.

Jim, his highness has been to Sedona. He and his subjects stayed at the Hilton resort (Thanks Paris). The first floor room had a nice deck with a flagstone walkway out to the grounds. Very convenient.

Ho, an intriguing idea for the CC crowd to descend on Arizona and drink Jim out of house and home.

House sitters always in demand! The lair of HWMBO is in San Clemente, located halfway between Los Angeles (68 miles to LAX) and San Diego (65 miles to San Diego International). Should have the pool complete in the spring.

image.jpg.0f9ec57596c127d62c300fc1dc6a3eea.jpg

I need a scopolomine patch after looking at that headboard and chair :eek:

He-who-must-be-obeyed's name cannot be spoken, else he may arise. A pictogram of his name is below.

Jim, his highness has been to Sedona. He and his subjects stayed at the Hilton resort (Thanks Paris). The first floor room had a nice deck with a flagstone walkway out to the grounds. Very convenient.

Ho, an intriguing idea for the CC crowd to descend on Arizona and drink Jim out of house and home.

House sitters always in demand! The lair of HWMBO is in San Clemente, located halfway between Los Angeles (68 miles to LAX) and San Diego (65 miles to San Diego International). Should have the pool complete in the spring.

Ok, pictogram of HWMBO's name: Gargoyle? That's a he*l of a name for a pony.:eek: And if Yall can stand the heat, Jimbo can stand the bar tab. Come on down.:D

Hello Mr Hum

It is really quite astounding. 600 replies... And over 27,000 times, someone somewhere in the world has taken time from their busy day to stop and read your pure utter drivel.

And yet, Your legion of fans await each utterance, hoping that your morning offering to us will be of some import. It is a weighty responsibility, no doubt. After my coffee, spending 5 minutes with you is the highlight of each morning.

Only better when it is on Deck 4, my friend.

Cheers

I wonder, are you intending to disappear into thin air when you reach the heady heights of 50,000 views, and receive your, suitable for framing, award of merit? Another literary giant will be gone from our midst.....

Well between Jim and yourself Abenaki, ho hum thinks there is a compliment in your respective posts somewhere but it takes some searching !

"Pure, utter drivel" !

(Origin of the word: before 1000; Middle English dryvelen, variant of drevelen, Old English dreflian; akin to draff and slaver)

As an occasional fan of William F. Buckley, Jr. when he is being less pompous (a rare event indeed) ho hum would like to quote his famous reply to you:

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence."

On occasion (several occasions, no quite regularly in fact) perhaps ho hum may have wandered off piste from the "cut and thrust" of a well honed critique regarding SD but there have been many such critiques, ho hum assures you Abenaki.

So not all drivel, no matter what the quality (pure drivel only available on "....idle jottings").

Maybe ho hum should change the thread from "......idle jottings" to ".......utter drivel" though the former does border the latter, ho hum believes. Akin to the absence of difference between the countryside of Devon and Dorset: ie. no discernible abrupt boundary.

And who was the person who formerly demanded salacious gossip plus photos as well as better description of female fashionable attire (strictly from a haut couture point of view, naturally) !!!!

So high minded Abenaki, you old fraud. You doyen of drivel.

It wont be long before ho hum, blondie and your good self will be ensconced on SD with our mutual chums having another wonderful time, provided Miami has found ho hum's booking, of course ! Maybe ho hum's omission would be a delightful, un-expected bonus.

Well ho hum can't wait ! Daily evening colour themes required please Abenaki.

Ho hum suggests that YOU do a daily post on the crossing Abenaki.

You are so much more entertaining and observant than the more pedestrian posts emanating from old ho hum.

Think about it.

You have ho hum beaming away reading your languid style of smug, humour (that is why William F Buckley came to mind).

Ho hum will probably be disappearing well before 50,000 old friend (well there is only so much drivel in the well) and will settle for the occasional idle post.

Ho hum is in need of a sabbatical or a retreat to cleanse his soul and plumb the depths beyond mere superficiality trivia and drivel.

One interesting fact pointed out to ho hum which Abenaki might like to consider too, is that this silly thread is also the highest read thread over ALL Cruise Critic threads (not just Sea Dream) but Jim will no doubt correct ho hum if this claim is spurious.

How about that !

And do you know how many people have posted on SD's own blog since it first started...err just over ten ! Ten in five years !

Having said that they are really very informative and are refreshed very regularly every 4 days or so and are worth a look: they are very detailed with lots of pictures, maps etc..

They are created by a wonderful young lady in the Miami office but why so few contributions ?

SD began using Facebook a little while ago and it was quite encouraging but obviously the boy that started it has begun a prison sentence or got bored or found a girlfriend because there has been nothing for weeks.

Look, it takes no time at all to spout this drivel so why cant SD take a more professional approach and promote SD to new and existing clients by a dedicated publicist as opposed to Olaf (a friend of a friend who knows about computers and the internet) employed for a few kroner during his summer hols !

Or at least make a passing reference to their blog on FB.

No, the interesting point and the reason why this thread ever started was because of the complete in-difference to the legion of letters from ho hum to SD HQ outlining where they have got it so wrong combined with the overwhelming tomes of praise for the ship's crew. Now the praiseworthy sections were acknowledged and acknowledged gladly but there was a deadly silence concerning the considered critiques.

And so this thread was started.

Yes there were other other threads ho hum could contribute on and did so in the early days but very occasionally ho hum's irreverent and humorous side would come out and so, not to cause offence to others, he confided himself to the category A, secure unit of threads "... Idle jottings".

But still nothing from SD. And so all the while nothing is done, ho hum will remind SD of the fact that they need to "get things right" still.

Like throwing stones at Attilla's window.

And combined with that is ho hum's genuine appreciation for the remarkable men and women onboard SD who genuinely try to provide a great experience for ALL passengers: this, ho hum feels the need to regularly praise.

And so Abenaki before you know it another post is ready for submission.

Finally, ho hum has no problem with readers thinking this thread is harmless drivel but his biggest concern is that it is not viewed as cliquey, some sort of exclusive club.

Hell no !

Jim posts ! Cant be that exclusive ! Sorry Jim you know ho hum is pulling your leg.

Now there are others who read this and dont feel like contributing a post.

It is a divertissement from their daily round. And ho hum is fine with that.

It is likened to a curious looking "over the fence" to see what the screwball ho hum is up to followed by a shaking of the head and a self-congratulatory comment "well at least I have all my marbles".

But the more perspectives, the better.

So if you wish to add a comment, please feel free, this is an equal opportunity posting site for the "numb skulls" and the more considered posters.

And of course a sense of humour is favoured here.

Join us (and please return Frequent Traveller, your pardon finally arrived. We miss all that experience. Truly we do).

Topic jump:

The creepy dolls have even made the UK press....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705034/Mystery-creepy-dolls-left-outside-California-homes-resemble-little-girls-live-there.html

Poor old San Clemente will be known world over as Creepy Doll Village by the Sea :o

Too bad they weren't leaving Sea Dream cruise vouchers on doorsteps...

Spurious claim indeed. Just one little thread over at Holland America "What is your first ship" has 600,139 reads as of this am. I guess people just like to talk about their first time.:eek::D So, keep up the good work Mr. Hum. You have a ways to go.

Spurious claim indeed. Just one little thread over at Holland America "What is your first ship" has 600,139 reads as of this am. I guess people just like to talk about their first time.:eek::D So, keep up the good work Mr. Hum. You have a ways to go.

Ho hum was referring to number of current daily views old chap (not total).

Well we all know your first ship Jim.

The Mayflower !

Haha

Ho hum will probably be disappearing well before 50,000 old friend (well there is only so much drivel in the well) and will settle for the occasional idle post. .......................:eek: no, please don't disappear. Pops took Ho Hums advice and will be booking Emirates First class suites tomorrow. Unbelievable price. Just wondering if Ho Hum and Blondie sat in the middle two suites side by side or did they choose window suites? Would appreciate your recommendation.

I see you're offering doggy sitting services too. I've three dogs plus two cats and I'm heading off soon for a few weeks.

Can I have a quote for your services please? I can drop them off at yours or you can move in here. Bring your friends if you wish. Facilities incl 4bedrooms, 4 reception, 3 bathrooms (two new as you know), converted roof space with sea views. Roof space incl Sky TV (incl Sky Sports so one can watch their beloved Fulham) and wine cooler(so you don't have to run up and down two flights of stairs to top up). German kitchen come living with wine cooler (stocked, but maybe not stocked with HoHums posh stuff), sky tv (incl Sky sport in case Ho Hum wants to watch the Craven Cottage boys), fully stocked fridge and freezer, seven bi fold doors to the patio if you fancy a BBQ. Gorgeous park 2 mins away, beach 5 mins away. If you're really UNLUCKY in the park, like me, you will meet (sorry you won't meet him , he's a miserable ***) Van Morrisson most days, sitting on the same bench at the same time wearing the same clothes, as miserable as ever. Deal?:)

Ho hum will probably be disappearing well before 50,000 old friend (well there is only so much drivel in the well) and will settle for the occasional idle post. .......................:eek: no, please don't disappear. Pops took Ho Hums advice and will be booking Emirates First class suites tomorrow. Unbelievable price. Just wondering if Ho Hum and Blondie sat in the middle two suites side by side or did they choose window suites? Would appreciate your recommendation.

I see you're offering doggy sitting services too. I've three dogs plus two cats and I'm heading off soon for a few weeks.

Can I have a quote for your services please? I can drop them off at yours or you can move in here. Bring your friends if you wish. Facilities incl 4bedrooms, 4 reception, 3 bathrooms (two new as you know), converted roof space with sea views. Roof space incl Sky TV (incl Sky Sports so one can watch their beloved Fulham) and wine cooler(so you don't have to run up and down two flights of stairs to top up). German kitchen come living with wine cooler (stocked, but maybe not stocked with HoHums posh stuff), sky tv (incl Sky sport in case Ho Hum wants to watch the Craven Cottage boys), fully stocked fridge and freezer, seven bi fold doors to the patio if you fancy a BBQ. Gorgeous park 2 mins away, beach 5 mins away. If you're really UNLUCKY in the park, like me, you will meet (sorry you won't meet him , he's a miserable ***) Van Morrisson most days, sitting on the same bench at the same time wearing the same clothes, as miserable as ever. Deal?:)

Poppy darling you are flowing tonight: love it.

It's separate window seats for us.

Cant explain but just love seeing landscape below or sky.

Ho hum had you down for Putney but now ho hum is thinking Brighton.

Love your generosity but how many pooches and moggies ?

Holy moley !

Ho hum would be constantly pooper-scoopering !

So must decline.

And then ho hum loses reception.

Are you saying Van the Man sits in the park you frequent ?

Wow !

One of ho hum's favourite pieces of music is Van and The Band joining Roger Waters on "Comfortably Numb" in a 1990 concert in Berlin for some meaningful cause or other.

Check it out on link below;

"There is no pain you are receding

A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.

You are only coming through in waves.

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.

When I was a child I had a fever

My hands felt just like two balloons.

Now I've got that feeling once again

I can't explain you would not understand

This is not how I am.

I have become comfortably numb."

Wonderful stuff.

Well between Jim and yourself Abenaki, ho hum thinks there is a compliment in your respective posts somewhere but it takes some searching !

"Pure, utter drivel" !

(Origin of the word: before 1000; Middle English dryvelen, variant of drevelen, Old English dreflian; akin to draff and slaver)

As an occasional fan of William F. Buckley, Jr. when he is being less pompous (a rare event indeed) ho hum would like to quote his famous reply to you:

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence."

On occasion (several occasions, no quite regularly in fact) perhaps ho hum may have wandered off piste from the "cut and thrust" of a well honed critique regarding SD but there have been many such critiques, ho hum assures you Abenaki.

So not all drivel, no matter what the quality (pure drivel only available on "....idle jottings").

Maybe ho hum should change the thread from "......idle jottings" to ".......utter drivel" though the former does border the latter, ho hum believes. Akin to the absence of difference between the countryside of Devon and Dorset: ie. no discernible abrupt boundary.

And who was the person who formerly demanded salacious gossip plus photos as well as better description of female fashionable attire (strictly from a haut couture point of view, naturally) !!!!

So high minded Abenaki, you old fraud. You doyen of drivel.

It wont be long before ho hum, blondie and your good self will be ensconced on SD with our mutual chums having another wonderful time, provided Miami has found ho hum's booking, of course ! Maybe ho hum's omission would be a delightful, un-expected bonus.

Well ho hum can't wait ! Daily evening colour themes required please Abenaki.

Ho hum suggests that YOU do a daily post on the crossing Abenaki.

You are so much more entertaining and observant than the more pedestrian posts emanating from old ho hum.

Think about it.

You have ho hum beaming away reading your languid style of smug, humour (that is why William F Buckley came to mind).

Ho hum will probably be disappearing well before 50,000 old friend (well there is only so much drivel in the well) and will settle for the occasional idle post.

Ho hum is in need of a sabbatical or a retreat to cleanse his soul and plumb the depths beyond mere superficiality trivia and drivel.

One interesting fact pointed out to ho hum which Abenaki might like to consider too, is that this silly thread is also the highest read thread over ALL Cruise Critic threads (not just Sea Dream) but Jim will no doubt correct ho hum if this claim is spurious.

How about that !

And do you know how many people have posted on SD's own blog since it first started...err just over ten ! Ten in five years !

Having said that they are really very informative and are refreshed very regularly every 4 days or so and are worth a look: they are very detailed with lots of pictures, maps etc..

They are created by a wonderful young lady in the Miami office but why so few contributions ?

SD began using Facebook a little while ago and it was quite encouraging but obviously the boy that started it has begun a prison sentence or got bored or found a girlfriend because there has been nothing for weeks.

Look, it takes no time at all to spout this drivel so why cant SD take a more professional approach and promote SD to new and existing clients by a dedicated publicist as opposed to Olaf (a friend of a friend who knows about computers and the internet) employed for a few kroner during his summer hols !

Or at least make a passing reference to their blog on FB.

No, the interesting point and the reason why this thread ever started was because of the complete in-difference to the legion of letters from ho hum to SD HQ outlining where they have got it so wrong combined with the overwhelming tomes of praise for the ship's crew. Now the praiseworthy sections were acknowledged and acknowledged gladly but there was a deadly silence concerning the considered critiques.

And so this thread was started.

Yes there were other other threads ho hum could contribute on and did so in the early days but very occasionally ho hum's irreverent and humorous side would come out and so, not to cause offence to others, he confided himself to the category A, secure unit of threads "... Idle jottings".

But still nothing from SD. And so all the while nothing is done, ho hum will remind SD of the fact that they need to "get things right" still.

Like throwing stones at Attilla's window.

And combined with that is ho hum's genuine appreciation for the remarkable men and women onboard SD who genuinely try to provide a great experience for ALL passengers: this, ho hum feels the need to regularly praise.

And so Abenaki before you know it another post is ready for submission.

Finally, ho hum has no problem with readers thinking this thread is harmless drivel but his biggest concern is that it is not viewed as cliquey, some sort of exclusive club.

Hell no !

Jim posts ! Cant be that exclusive ! Sorry Jim you know ho hum is pulling your leg.

Now there are others who read this and dont feel like contributing a post.

It is a divertissement from their daily round. And ho hum is fine with that.

It is likened to a curious looking "over the fence" to see what the screwball ho hum is up to followed by a shaking of the head and a self-congratulatory comment "well at least I have all my marbles".

But the more perspectives, the better.

So if you wish to add a comment, please feel free, this is an equal opportunity posting site for the "numb skulls" and the more considered posters.

And of course a sense of humour is favoured here.

Join us (and please return Frequent Traveller, your pardon finally arrived. We miss all that experience. Truly we do).

Frequent Traveler has absconded to the Frozen North. Currently in Alaska to board a Silverseas ship. Doing a live review over at Silversea.:D

Just recalling the events onboard on previous voyages.

Once ho hum was onboard and a lady passenger had asked for a "Friends of Bill" afternoon to be announced.

Unfortunately everybody seemed to be "Friends of Zoltan & Shaun" (the barmen at the time).

She sat all alone until some kind soul asked her up to the TOYB !

Well she came, had a Virgin Mary and really enjoyed herself.

Her story was amazing.

Respect to all those re-claiming their lives from this most insidious and destructive disease.

Then a lovely couple of older guys asked for a "Friends of Dorothy" (please would someone explain this to Commodore Dave but being a naval guy maybe he is more worldly wise than ho hum gives him credit. And where the hell is Commodore Dave anyway ?).

A lovely, solitary, 80 year old English lady from Eastboune turned up and enthusiastically asked "how do you know Dorothy ? I used to sail with her on the old Queens".

Well that was as close to what they had in common but was not quite what they expected however all three seemed to have enjoyed one another's company as they all joined one another for dinner together, night after night. Aaaa, sweet.

There is a "Friends of Ho Hum" afternoon too but this involves just ho hum and his beautiful lady having a much needed "nappy poo" to be fresh for the evening after the liquid indulgences of a wonderful al fresco lunchtime meal accompanied by quaffable rose wines.

Just recalling the events onboard on previous voyages.

Once ho hum was onboard and a lady passenger had asked for a "Friends of Bill" afternoon to be announced.

Unfortunately everybody seemed to be "Friends of Zoltan & Shaun" (the barmen at the time).

She sat all alone until some kind soul asked her up to the TOYB !

Well she came, had a Virgin Mary and really enjoyed herself.

Her story was amazing.

Respect to all those re-claiming their lives from this most insidious and destructive disease.

Then a lovely couple of older guys asked for a "Friends of Dorothy" (please would someone explain this to Commodore Dave but being a naval guy maybe he is more worldly wise than ho hum gives him credit. And where the hell is Commodore Dave anyway ?).

A lovely, solitary, 80 year old English lady from Eastboune turned up and enthusiastically asked "how do you know Dorothy ? I used to sail with her on the old Queens".

Well that was as close to what they had in common but was not quite what they expected however all three seemed to have enjoyed one another's company as they all joined one another for dinner together, night after night. Aaaa, sweet.

There is a "Friends of Ho Hum" afternoon too but this involves just ho hum and his beautiful lady having a much needed "nappy poo" to be fresh for the evening after the liquid indulgences of a wonderful al fresco lunchtime meal accompanied by quaffable rose wines.

For clarity sake, a "nappy poo" means a short sleep in the language of ho hum and blondie, just in case you had mistakenly understood that it could mean anything else......