Would you buy pictures if they were cheaper?

kona_wahine

I asked this just last week on the Pride and was told that they sell around 20 percent on a bad week and near 30 percent is a great week. My wife has always been upset by the way they handle photos and would be more than happy to buy them all for a reasonable all inclusive price, but 20 a pic means we usually only buy a couple at best. I would also prefer them in digital format. I would pay 300 or so for the promise of every image on a flash drive. Bottomless Pixels!

I really hate the waste of printing them all. The same photographer told me that electronic kiosks had been tested by carnival and that sales declined and the project was abandoned.

I have to agree with you I would spend a lot more if every image was digital. Every amusement park I go in now gives you a card after you get your picture taken. And if you get another taken, you hand them the same card. Would save money on ink and paper and free up a lot of deck space for something else.

Carnival should at least do something like Royal Caribbean when we were on Explorer of the Seas last Summer for a family cruise. My SIL paid I believe $100 for a photo package that included every photo taken. Every night we went and searched for the photos we had taken, brought them to the counter and they were put in a folder. Since there were 8 of us it was a great deal and none of the photos were thrown out.

I also liked being able to swipe your card and view all of the photos on the computers they had. That would be great if you had the option to choose the size print you want.

Carnival charges so much for the pictures they print. Seems like they could charge less and make more.

They would have to Be less than a dollar for me maybe .25

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe I misread the ad but I thought there was some special that if you bought a number of the photos you got a thumbdrive (I assumed with the photos but didn't check it out).

If you think Carnival's prices are high, go to a professional photographer and see what they charge. Most of them will charge up to $100 just for the sitting, then any prints are above and beyond that. When our boys were little, we spent a fortune on "packages" from Sears, Olan Mills, etc.

THis is how I kind of thought of it after our first cruise. We got a few done and liked a lot from one particular photographer. I only bought one because of the price. Once i got home, I thought of it in these terms and wished I had bought a few more.

This last cruise we got them done a couple of times. I skipped the backgrounds I didn't like and the ones I did go to all did the same cheesy poses. I didn't buy any. If they were cheaper I might but I couldn't compare them to professional photos.

I am also really lucky that we have an amazing local photographer that has a really reasonable sitting fee and provides all the pics digitally to you. The only additional cost is printing them off. :D

Maybe I misread the ad but I thought there was some special that if you bought a number of the photos you got a thumbdrive (I assumed with the photos but didn't check it out).

You do. With any 3 photos you get a luggage tag, 6 photos a travel mug and with 10 photos you get a flash drive ship. I accidentally went home with the luggage tag and the travel mug, not because I tried but because I liked and bought 6 photos. I lost the luggage tag and I didn't need another mug so getting them made no difference in my decision to purchase any photos. I would have thought a discount on the photos would have been a better way to go than to get some cheapo giveaways.

I would buy a whole lot more if they were cheaper. Can't believe that they print them all out and throw them all away. What a shame.

I agree, you think they'd offer them as a package deal for a cheaper price at the end of the cruise instead of just throwing them away. We usually buy about 3 or 4 pictures each cruise but we'd buy more if they were cheaper or offered a fair-priced package deal. For ex, if you had bought say 3 or 4 picture during the cruise...you could get a deal on the rest of them at the end of the cruise...but if you didn't buy any during the cruise...you wouldn't get the deal (to weed out those that would just wait to the end to get the deal). They'd probably make a ton more money and ease up on the waste.;) I should add that we don't do the portrait pictures. We just like the random dinner and port ones.

Edited by mousey

My wife usually buys one of us on Elegant nights and if there is a good pic of us somewhere else. We would probably buy more if they were cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by vwrestler171

I don't buy many photos, but on most of my cruises me or someone in my party has bought at least one. We generally tell all photographers a polite no, and then get maybe one or two at a particular time that is important to us, like formal night.

I've purchased only 1 photo from each cruise.

Wish they would do the same as Disney World, photographers all over the place but not "in your face", have loads of photos taken on the "photopass" or whatever it's called, then buy the whole lot on a CD or download from their web site at the end of the trip. I would certainly purchase this way if Carnival had the option, even though it would cost more than the one photo that I do buy on a cruise.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

For about $150 I can pre-purchase digital files of ALL photos taken on a family trip to Disney. Since the program started, we have done it on every trip. (Which is only two, but will on the next as well.

We never purchased a single Disney photograper photo on ANY previous trip.

If Carnival did this I would definitely buy in.

That being said, I HAVE purchased a couple to a few photos on each cruise we have taken. But never anywhere near $150 worth.

I would ABSOLUTELY buy more if they were less expensive! They just cost too much for me to justify buying them. Wish Carnival would listen to these boards, lower the prices, and make themselves some more money than what they make now off the photos!

I would buy a whole lot more if they were cheaper. Can't believe that they print them all out and throw them all away. What a shame.

I don't let them take my picture.

I am not even going to look at them and I hate needless waste.

Just shake your head and keep walking...or eating.:)

Carnival charges so much for the pictures they print. Seems like they could charge less and make more.

I buy them if I like them. (We only pose on the "cruise elegant" nights, so there aren't that many to choose from.)

Im not very photogenic, so I probably would not buy more photos if they were less expensive. But I usually buy the one they take of you as you board the ship, so maybe if I found one other that was by some fluke very good, I might consider it.

Not sure about cheaper, but I might buy more if they were *smaller*. I have no room for a stack of 8x10 cruise photos, so I hardly ever buy more than the embarkation photo, if that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate the photographer & was happy to get a few family pictures. If I booked a photographer at home--the prices would be way higher. I do like the idea of a photo package.