Alaska or Norwegian fiords?

billyelliot

What are people opinions on these cruises?

We have done Alaska, and we are doing the Norweigian fiords in May.....

I hate to say it and know that I will be flamed but I was a little underwhelmed with the inside passage...😳 loved the cruise though

I have been fortunate to have visited both of those areas you mentioned. Both in their own way are unique and lovely. A preference? No, not really.

One other area that I highly recommend for you to visit is Fjordland National Park on the South Island of New Zealand. Sailing through Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound, and Milford Sound on a day that was crystal clear, not a cloud in the sky was nearly magical.

The inside passage isn't as mountainous as Norway that is definitely the case. However- the Alaskan cruises tend to be more affordable for Americans. Having done both- I keep doing Alaska because it is much less expensive for us to fly round trip to Seattle.

I loved my Norway cruise but there seems to be more in the way of wildlife on the Alaskan cruises. I didn't notice any wildlife in Norway, which for me is also a big draw. I like whale watching, dog sledding and just the tranquility of Alaska.

If I lived in Europe, I doubt I would fly all the way to Alaska though. Norway is very stunning.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I have been fortunate to have visited both of those areas you mentioned. Both in their own way are unique and lovely. A preference? No, not really.

One other area that I highly recommend for you to visit is Fjordland National Park on the South Island of New Zealand. Sailing through Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound, and Milford Sound on a day that was crystal clear, not a cloud in the sky was nearly magical.

We have also cruised all three of the places you mention: Alaska - all about the wildlife and glaciers; Norway - stunning, palpable scenery; NZ Fjords - panoramic views at a distance. Obviously, only my personal opinion ;).

I have done both as well and did Norway on the Eclipse last Fall. It was amazing. I loved Norway and your itinerary is fantastic. If you are at all able then get out and explore some of the interior as well. I am not big on cruise ship excursions but I was solo on thiat trip so I did two all day trips that I can not recommend enough.

The first was in Flam. Everyone will tell you to do the railraoad and yes it is beautiful (The railway in Skagway, Alaska is longer). However, there is an all day option to go to Voss, etc as well. I did this trip and it was an incredible day. You drive deep into the interior stopping at many dramatic vistas and waterfalls. You have time at a hotel and a lot of time in the town of Voss. Then you get the rail experience as well. It is a long day, but a great opportunity to see so much.

The second all day tour I did was in Alesund. There is an option to take the "Path of the Trolls". This is another all fday trip into the interior and man does it ever amaze. You drive through beautiful barren vistas to a High Pass and a road going down the mountain that is insane. You spend time in a valley waith a great lunch then it is on to the Troll Wall and much more. Again, a long day, but oh so worth it.

If you are intersted in the scenery then you will not be disappointed at all. Just sailing down the fjords is hours and hours of beautiful sights (and on an impecably beautiful ship). After nearly 30 cruises this was easily a favorite.

I have taken both cruises. Loved both. My favorite cruise was the Norwegian Fjords. It is very different from Alaska. Scenery is fabulous. Watching while we sailed in and out of the fjords was gorgeous. Norwegian people were extremely friendly. Enjoy!

We will be going to Norway on the May 2 Eclypse also. We booked the Voss overland, but the celebrity is not offering an all day interior from Alesund :mad:

We have done Alaska several times and loved it, also New Zealand, it was also great. So really excited about Norway. Haven't heard anything negative accept a little pricey to eat on the land.

Can you walk on your own in Alensund?

Did you go to Stavanger?

I have done both as well and did Norway on the Eclipse last Fall. It was amazing. I loved Norway and your itinerary is fantastic. If you are at all able then get out and explore some of the interior as well. I am not big on cruise ship excursions but I was solo on thiat trip so I did two all day trips that I can not recommend enough.

The first was in Flam. Everyone will tell you to do the railraoad and yes it is beautiful (The railway in Skagway, Alaska is longer). However, there is an all day option to go to Voss, etc as well. I did this trip and it was an incredible day. You drive deep into the interior stopping at many dramatic vistas and waterfalls. You have time at a hotel and a lot of time in the town of Voss. Then you get the rail experience as well. It is a long day, but a great opportunity to see so much.

The second all day tour I did was in Alesund. There is an option to take the "Path of the Trolls". This is another all fday trip into the interior and man does it ever amaze. You drive through beautiful barren vistas to a High Pass and a road going down the mountain that is insane. You spend time in a valley waith a great lunch then it is on to the Troll Wall and much more. Again, a long day, but oh so worth it.

If you are intersted in the scenery then you will not be disappointed at all. Just sailing down the fjords is hours and hours of beautiful sights (and on an impecably beautiful ship). After nearly 30 cruises this was easily a favorite.

We will be going to Norway on the May 2 Eclypse also. We booked the Voss overland, but the celebrity is not offering an all day interior from Alesund :mad:

We have done Alaska several times and loved it, also New Zealand, it was also great. So really excited about Norway. Haven't heard anything negative accept a little pricey to eat on the land.

Can you walk on your own in Alensund?

Did you go to Stavanger?

You certainly can. It is yeat another Norway town that burned to the ground and was rebuilt all in the same style. Interesting architecture. There is also a big rock in the center that offers great views of the town and much more. I didn't have time to go up there, but I heard it was nice.

Stavenger was our last port. I did a group tour that was formed here on Cruise Critic. We took an explorer boat down Lysefjord. That was very intersesting because the fjord is much different then the others you sail to. You also go past the famous "Pulpit Rock". The town of Stavenger is pretty quaint. There is a harbor area with stores, shops, etc. There is also an old section composed of these nice white wooden houses. On the whole though, the whole town can be covered rather quickly.

Alaska is beautiful and dramatic. The wildlife and glaciers make it a wonderful experience. Norway is vast as well, but on a more quaint level. The towns are unique and interesting. Just wait till you pull up in Flam and Geiranger. They are basically little villages with a huge cruise ships pulled up to it. Like Alaska, there is still quite a bit to see outside the port towns. Enjoy! I would go again tomorrow if I could.

I really don't think it would matter too much. There are amazing views from all sides. I suggest goingthrough the Fitness room to the fromt of the ship. I spent hours out there sailing down the fjords. Also, a lot of people do not realize the deck is out there. I had it virtually to myself at times.

I will say that (my mistake) I sprung for a Concierge Cabin and was quite annoyed. I had one on the resort deck with the huge overhang directly above me. This blocked a lot of my view from eye level up. Not at all ideal when you are transversing tall fjords. I couldn't get the whole picture from my balcony so I spent little time out there.

We did Norway last summer and absolutely loved it. We have cruised Alaska a few times and felt that there were some great similarities and vast differences. Both are beautiful in their own special way. Geiranger was one of the highlights as this gorgeous inlet is green and lush and gorgeous. We enjoyed walking through Stavanger - actually one of our favorite ports for wandering. We too took the long train to Voss and enjoyed the extra time on the train and waterfall extravaganzas!! We went out to the glacier as well and thoroughly enjoyed the hike and visit. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong anywhere in Norway. It is truly majestic. Enjoy!

We've done the Norwegian fjords (twice) plus New Zealand but not Alaska.

The three in New Zealand are pretty and were impressive from the helicopter deck but Norway blows them away. We were talking with people who'd done Alaska and they reckoned Norway was like Alaska on steriods, because some of the flords seem narrow and very close up.

Gerainger is pretty good, Flam is just awesome. Most are pretty great if you are fortunate to have a window seat for early dining on the way out. Some of the excursions up into the mountains are breathtaking.