First Ever Cruise, sorry crossing - Queen Mary 2

Robbiechops

Hi everyone - still finding my sea legs on here so hoping some more experienced seafarers can give me some great advice to make the most of my upcoming transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in May from UK to US.

It will be a grand affair and we have booked a Q5 room to make the most of our 40th Birthday celebrations. I have a number of questions so hope someone won't mind taking the time to reply, as I'm not finding the Cunard website that helpful!

1. What time can you usual board QM2 on departure day, and are the facilities open from the word go? What is the usual departure time and procedure and is there a big fanfare of a send off?

2. On here there seem to be conflicting reviews about what is gratis in a Queens Grill Room and how helpful the butlers are?

3. Any top tips that can be shared to ensure we have a most enjoyable journey - most likely to be once in a lifetime for us.

4. How informal is life on board during the day - i.e. can we get away with smart trousers and polo shirt for breakfast and lunch?

5. What is the disembarkation procedure like at Brooklyn please? And do we get breakfast before disembarkation? How long does it take to clear immigration as we have an internal flight to catch mid-afternoon!

6. Should I make Cunard aware of our birthday celebrations and dietary requirements (I have a food allergy)

7. I want to make the most of my time onboard - what would regular and first timers on QM2 recommend please?

Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies

We just sailed QM2 in a basic verandah cabin, and had a great time. I understood from some Queens Grill passengers that the cabin staff fulfilled virtually every request. You will gave your own dining area and tea services. Dress is not very formal during the day - weather permitting, shorts and polo shirt would be OK. Sadly, there is little fanfare about sailings these days- as a Q passenger, you will enjoy priority boarding, and all facilities are available upon boarding - you would want to show up by about 11:00 AM. Make sure you take advantage of the planetarium - usually several different presentations. Debarkation was rather well handled, we were off and cleared (after a good breakfast) shortly before 10:00 AM. Your Queens Grill Maître d' will be glad to accommodate your dietary concerns - see him as soon as possible - also mention your birthday.

I hope you booked port side - sunny every day on a westbound. Your special assignment: find the bas relief image of Homer Simpson watching TV.

It's not a cruise, it's a crossing, so there's an apology in the title for getting it wrong.

AH!!!!

Well, technically, it is a cruise because your sailing on a ship....All crossings are cruises but not all cruises are crossings.......