New to Carnival

SoALcruiser

My husband and I have booked a July cruise for our entire family. We have cruised with Royal for a long time. We waited too long to book for our large group so Enchantment was fully booked. We love Port Canaveral, so we decided to jump on over to Carnival. I may have questions that seem silly to you veterans of Carnival . If my questions annoy you or you think they are silly, then by all means please don't share that . First, I read that each adult is allowed to a bottle of wine on board. Will your steward bring you an ice bucket for it? If you take a bottle of your own to Main dining room, are you charged a corkage fee? . I think I read somewhere that you can bring some 20 ounce colas and bottles of water on board---True? I feel a little antsy, since I am a newby here. We will have our daughter and son-in-law and 4 grands---11,10,6 and 6. Kids have never cruised and are so excited. We adults are eager to see how we fit on Carnival. I am sure I will have more questions. Thank you in advance for your help.:D Kaye

Yes, each adult is allowed one bottle of wine. Your steward will bring you ice if you ask. If you take the wine to dinner, there is a 50/50 chance you'll be charged a corking fee. I've had a number of cruises where I was charged, but just as many where I wasn't charged. My last couple of cruises, I was not charged.

I hope you, and your family, enjoy your cruise.:D

First, welcome to Carnival. I hope you will be as happy with their product as I have been. I always said He** would freeze over before I sailed them and about 5 years ago, when I wanted to take a last minute cruise, in fact, HE** had frozen over and I booked with Carnival. Although there are some things that are different that other cruise lines, we found they offered a good product at a great price. I now have my 5th cruise booked with them. Now, back to your question. Yes, you may take on wine and up to 12 bottles or cans of non-alcoholic beverages per person. You must carry them on the ship in your carry on, not checked through. The cabin steward will bring you a corkscrew if you need one, otherwise you can get them opened at any bar for free. As far as the main dining room goes, there policy is you will be charged a corkage fee. But with that said, they have opened champagne for us and we have never been charged. The cabin steward will also bring you a bucket of ice for chilling it, as will room service. Some people will just open the bottle in their cabins and pour a glass of wine and take it to the dining room. You are supplied with wine glasses in your cabin. Enjoy your cruise!!!

My husband and I have booked a July cruise for our entire family. We have cruised with Royal for a long time. We waited too long to book for our large group so Enchantment was fully booked. We love Port Canaveral, so we decided to jump on over to Carnival. I may have questions that seem silly to you veterans of Carnival . If my questions annoy you or you think they are silly, then by all means please don't share that . First, I read that each adult is allowed to a bottle of wine on board. Will your steward bring you an ice bucket for it? If you take a bottle of your own to Main dining room, are you charged a corkage fee? . I think I read somewhere that you can bring some 20 ounce colas and bottles of water on board---True? I feel a little antsy, since I am a newby here. We will have our daughter and son-in-law and 4 grands---11,10,6 and 6. Kids have never cruised and are so excited. We adults are eager to see how we fit on Carnival. I am sure I will have more questions. Thank you in advance for your help.:D Kaye

We just got off the Legend yesterday and I brought a bottle of wine on board ( 1 per person over 21). They do charge you a corking fee if you bring it to the dining room. You are also allowed to bring a 12 pack of pop or 6 pack bottles on as well as water. We however did the pop card since we didn't want to keep going back and forth to our room for drinks and haul them around if our room wasn't ready. Our room steward actually brought us a bigger bucket to keep our wine in to keep it chilled along with the normal ice bucket. Just ask and they will deliver. Have fun with the planning!!!!:D

Lots of folks will be glad to answer your questions here, but Carnival also has an FAQ page: http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Here's their answer to your bringing beverages on board question:

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

I hope you and your family have a fantastic cruise. We have enjoyed all our Carnival cruises and the one we took with our kids was the best. It was so nice having dinner together each night and discussing what each one did all day. I just wish I could afford to take all my kids and grandkids on another cruise. Someday...:)

Well, all your questions, so far, have been answered. Feel free to ask away because, as you know, CC is the place to get answers. Hopefully you and your family members will have a grand time. We've cruised with a number of different cruise lines and they each have their positive aspects and perhaps some minor things that were not quite as favorable. We actually have very little negative to say about any of the cruise lines we have cruised with because we simply love to cruise. Hope you have a fantastic time. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

Welcome to Carnival, I hope you enjoy your cruise with your family.

Yes you can bring one bottle of wine or champagne each per adult. I cannot say on the corkage fee as our never make it out of the room ;)

We alwasy bring a case of water along with carry on.

Thank y'all so much for the prompt answers. I think I will miss my perks on Royal, but dang it, they shouldn't have filled so fast,,lol

We really are excited to try something new; and your anwers were very helpful. I'm sure you'll hear from me again. Kaye

Thank y'all so much for the prompt answers. I think I will miss my perks on Royal, but dang it, they shouldn't have filled so fast,,lol

We really are excited to try something new; and your anwers were very helpful. I'm sure you'll hear from me again. Kaye

Welcome to Carnival. Which ship are you sailing?

We will be on the Sensation. So far, our favorite ship is the Freedom of the Seas-----not interested in anything larger than that. Aha! I've already thought of another question. What time does the ship start boarding? We are probably going to buy the FTTF, so about what time can we board? THANKS AGAIN! Kaye