NCL cancel future calls to Tunisia

isdoo

Here are two follow-up articles that HuffPost Maghreb published a few days later, after pressing for a few more answers from the Tunisian authorities:

Amel Karboul: Généralement, les Israéliens doivent demander un laissez-passer pour venir en Tunisie

(Executive summary: The Tunisian minister of tourism insists that the Israeli passengers needed a visa and that this has to be arranged ahead of time and cannot be obtained upon arrival. And that Israelis were not specifically targeted in this incident; they were just applying Tunisian law.)

Touristes israéliens - La décision était politique et préméditée, les autorités tunisiennes nient

(Executive summary: Everything the Tunisian minister of tourism went on record as saying turns out to be completely false.)

And neither one of those stories would be even slightly biased and should be believed as 100% true...

And neither one of those stories would be even slightly biased and should be believed as 100% true...
And if something isn't proven to be totally unbiased and 100% true, it must be dismissed as 100% made-up. That way, we can selectively ignore anything that anyone says and just follow our blessed little hearts.

And if something isn't proven to be totally unbiased and 100% true, it must be dismissed as 100% made-up. That way, we can selectively ignore anything that anyone says and just follow our blessed little hearts.

Often, people confuse belief with fact.

Having faith in something means no proof is required.

No facts can affect strong faith.

• 3 weeks later...

Who does NCL intend to punish? Their passengers? We booked believing we would have a certain number of ports and sea days. We don't want another sea day to replace Tunis. We want another port. Any port. What about Casablanca? I don't think it is right for NCL to stiff us.

Who does NCL intend to punish? Their passengers? We booked believing we would have a certain number of ports and sea days. We don't want another sea day to replace Tunis. We want another port. Any port. What about Casablanca? I don't think it is right for NCL to stiff us.

NCL is striving to obtain equal treatment for all their guests.

The Tunisian government restricted the Israeli guests without giving NCL the courtesy of ANY advance notice.

NCL made the correct decision to abandon this port and it may seem to be a disservice to you, but how would you react if it had been your race or ethnicity that was not allowed to disembark at a port.

Bear in mind, it could happen at any port at any time to anyone if the cruise line did not take affirmative action quickly.

Edited by swedish weave

To get to Casablanca instead of Tunisia would involve a trip (as the crow flies) of over 1000 miles (cruise ships do not deal with African deserts well by the way!):rolleyes:

Edited by SteveH2508

We have previously discussed the impact of the NCL decision on the two following similar cruises and it is clear that the decision had a significant impact on costs because the change removed an EU dispensation to charge VAT as well as removing a port call that was part of the original itinerary. The VAT issue will remain to affect the fall/winter cruises unless an alternative non-EU port call can be fitted in (probably not logistically possible in the event).

The two decisions (initiation and resultant) that precipitated the issue are both difficult to fathom but the ramifications of those two decisions seem out of all proportion to the crucial event. It would appear that it was a nationality (passport/border) issue affecting a very small group, between two countries that have been involved in complex and difficult political relationships for many years not an ethnic/race issue because others who might otherwise have been affected were apparently not. It is really hard to see how the management of a a second tier cruise company can possibly think that they are going to solve a problem that has evaded the United Nations and many very eminent international politicians for many years, so it would be really interesting to see beyond the PR smoothing story to see what the reason for cancellation really was - I doubt we will ever know. Could it possibly be that they will make more money from a sea day than would have been the case from poor take-up of trips due to local instabilities and this dispute made the decision to cancel any more visits easier to justify? A straight commercial decision would certainly make more sense, albeit not so easy for the NCL PR gurus to make the into the proverbial silk purse.

I do hope that NCL can find a cost-effective solution that will compensate for the change for those taking fall/winter cruises that were due to call in Tunis, mind you finding EU countries with stable borders to deal with around the Med/Adriatic must be hard enough, never mind looking at some of the others in the region.

We have previously discussed the impact of the NCL decision on the two following similar cruises and it is clear that the decision had a significant impact on costs because the change removed an EU dispensation to charge VAT as well as removing a port call that was part of the original itinerary. The VAT issue will remain to affect the fall/winter cruises unless an alternative non-EU port call can be fitted in (probably not logistically possible in the event).

The two decisions (initiation and resultant) that precipitated the issue are both difficult to fathom but the ramifications of those two decisions seem out of all proportion to the crucial event. It would appear that it was a nationality (passport/border) issue affecting a very small group, between two countries that have been involved in complex and difficult political relationships for many years not an ethnic/race issue because others who might otherwise have been affected were apparently not. It is really hard to see how the management of a a second tier cruise company can possibly think that they are going to solve a problem that has evaded the United Nations and many very eminent international politicians for many years, so it would be really interesting to see beyond the PR smoothing story to see what the reason for cancellation really was - I doubt we will ever know. Could it possibly be that they will make more money from a sea day than would have been the case from poor take-up of trips due to local instabilities and this dispute made the decision to cancel any more visits easier to justify? A straight commercial decision would certainly make more sense, albeit not so easy for the NCL PR gurus to make the into the proverbial silk purse.

I do hope that NCL can find a cost-effective solution that will compensate for the change for those taking fall/winter cruises that were due to call in Tunis, mind you finding EU countries with stable borders to deal with around the Med/Adriatic must be hard enough, never mind looking at some of the others in the region.

Tunisia attempted to put NCL into the middle of their dispute and didn't have the courtesy to let NCL know they were going to take this action.

Tunisia didn't have the courtesy to inform their own people who were in Miami to promote tourism of their action either.

I applaud NCL's decision to abandon this port and hope other cruise lines do the same.

It is petty to accuse NCL of doing this for financial gains. You should be ashamed of your accusation !!!

Tunisia attempted to put NCL into the middle of their dispute and didn't have the courtesy to let NCL know they were going to take this action.

Tunisia didn't have the courtesy to inform their own people who were in Miami to promote tourism of their action either.

I applaud NCL's decision to abandon this port and hope other cruise lines do the same.

It is petty to accuse NCL of doing this for financial gains. You should be ashamed of your accusation !!!

Ditto. Proud that they are not going along with prejudice action by this one port.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There is another potential banana skin now come up concerning visas in Turkey. They have changed their rules from 10 April 2014 and it will not now be possible to get one at the airport if you are arriving there like you used to be able to do. It shouldn't make any difference for cruise stoppers since they do not need visas as things stand but the danger that something might go wrong as they begin the changes must be there. Passengers arriving by air starting cruises that from Turkey will be affected (obviously not NCL at the moment).

Just to show how these things can go wrong when politicians and computer programmers get involved, have a look at: http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014/04/19/after-visa-change-cypriots-urged-to-avoid-turkey/

• 10 months later...
Although NCL pulled out of Tunisia for different reasons, security needs to be improved in Tunisia following the killing of 20 passengers from the MSC Splendida.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/11479898/Tunisia-attack-tourists-taken-hostage-at-museum-near-Tunis-parliament-live.html

This is so sad and scary. Prayers for all the victims and their families. :(

Although NCL pulled out of Tunisia for different reasons, security needs to be improved in Tunisia following the killing of 20 passengers from the MSC Splendida.
The victims include passengers from MSC Splendida and Costa Fascinosa. Both cruise lines have obviously cancelled further calls to Tunisia for the foreseeable future.

Cruise Lines Cancel All Calls to Tunisia Following Terrorist Attack

Bravo NCL for supporting your guests I knew there was a good reason I liked you so much

I hope other companies do the same ..hint hint HAL

Now if we could boycott Russian ports because of what is happening in Ukraine

Tourist dollars are very important ...maybe that will change the agression going on in the world if it hits the economy or pocket ..bravo bravo NCL?..i will choose you again ...soon I hope

Your statement, tourist dollars are very important is so true! So is the fact that people working together can move mountains. Kudos ncl I can't imagine how horrifying for the people being denied entrance!! We must be a better example for our children!

The government of Tunisia refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the Port of La Goulette, Tunis on Sunday, March 9, 2014. In response to this discriminatory act, Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that it has cancelled all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

“We want to send a strong message to Tunisia and ports around the world that we will not tolerate such random acts of discrimination against our guests,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s CEO. “We are outraged by this act and the fact that we were not notified in advance of this practice. We apologize sincerely to our guests who were affected and want them to know that we have taken the appropriate action in response.”

Thank you NCL for not putting up with this kind of discrimination, hopefully all the other cruise lines will follow suit.

Could it possibly be that they will make more money from a sea day than would have been the case from poor take-up of trips due to local instabilities and this dispute made the decision to cancel any more visits easier to justify? A straight commercial decision would certainly make more sense, albeit not so easy for the NCL PR gurus to make the into the proverbial silk purse.

Wow! NCL was standing up against discrimination of any of their passengers and you think it was because they could make more money if they had a sea day...just WOW again. Edited by NLH Arizona

The victims include passengers from MSC Splendida and Costa Fascinosa. Both cruise lines have obviously cancelled further calls to Tunisia for the foreseeable future.

Cruise Lines Cancel All Calls to Tunisia Following Terrorist Attack

So sorry to hear this. I was one who was very sorry to miss out on Tunisia (Carthage in particular) when our port stop was canceled for April, 2014. Palma replaced it....beautiful port, but we booked specifically to go to Tunisia and had already been to Palma twice before on NCL cruises. NCL obviously made the right decision, ahead of disaster.

Looks like Tunisia is permanently off the bucket list.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims...and for those in Tunisia who depend on tourism for income.

Saw a feature on one of the travel channels recently about a MSC ship and its itinerary which included Tunisia.