Freedom Thruster Issue?

just of her for a B2B- divers in the water after the first week for more thruster repairs. However, we did NOT notice any issues either week that effected the cruise.

Enjoy!

Does anyone know when they are going fix the problem?

just of her for a B2B- divers in the water after the first week for more thruster repairs. However, we did NOT notice any issues either week that effected the cruise.

Enjoy!

That is fantastic to know.

Thank you. And hope your B2B was spectacular. Would love to do one someday.

Thruster repairs will generally not affect a cruise's itinerary or safety. It may require a tug to assist with docking/undocking, but that generally only affects the pristine white paint job (which is why the lines don't like using tugs).

I once had a thruster that required repair, and we carried a crew of divers around for a week, with them working on the thruster underwater at every port, and securing the loose parts in the thruster tunnel for every transit between ports. It was one of the more impressive repairs I've seen in my career. Depending on diver availability in the ports involved, and what exactly is wrong with the thruster, it could take a few weeks to finish work, and also the fact that there may be up to 5 thrusters on a ship, and maybe they are repairing/maintaining all of them. While this is usually done in drydock, there may be a reason that the thruster(s) need maintenance before drydock.

It's been ongoing for some time now. So, not right away I assume.

It was posted on one of the threads after the last long delay that they were doing work when they are on the eastern itinerary since Coco Cay is so close, a delay in departure does not cause any issue with the itinerary.

Noticing that Freedom is getting assistance from a tug. Does she still have thruster issues? We sail her in 4 weeks. Hope all is well.

Hello!

I would not have any worries. I am sure the thruster issues would have been fixed if there was a problem. Your cruise will not be affected in any way if they do happen to have the thruster issues.

Hope this Helps

It was posted on one of the threads after the last long delay that they were doing work when they are on the eastern itinerary since Coco Cay is so close, a delay in departure does not cause any issue with the itinerary.

We have been watching her on the web cam and noticed that on the Eastern route weeks, she leaves very late at night, thanks for the update ! We are on her next month but on the Western route. Fingers crossed that all goes well !

Thruster repairs will generally not affect a cruise's itinerary or safety. It may require a tug to assist with docking/undocking, but that generally only affects the pristine white paint job (which is why the lines don't like using tugs).

I once had a thruster that required repair, and we carried a crew of divers around for a week, with them working on the thruster underwater at every port, and securing the loose parts in the thruster tunnel for every transit between ports. It was one of the more impressive repairs I've seen in my career. Depending on diver availability in the ports involved, and what exactly is wrong with the thruster, it could take a few weeks to finish work, and also the fact that there may be up to 5 thrusters on a ship, and maybe they are repairing/maintaining all of them. While this is usually done in drydock, there may be a reason that the thruster(s) need maintenance before drydock.

Welcome back. I've missed your interesting posts.:)

We left about 3 hours late on the 2/9 sailing so the divers could finish their work, but noticed absolutely nothing once we sailed. Hit all of our ports and were really flying when we needed to cover a lot of distance. No worries.

On the subject of tugboats. Do they get paid while they are standing by, or do they only get paid for actually providing assistance?

We were on Freedom Feb 16-23 and asked Kjell Evensen , Chief Engineer about the problem. He stated that they are repairing the thrusters and were ordering parts for the repairs. This is an ongoing project and that the ship can navigate fine without any thrusters at all. The thrusters are used mainly for docking. The repairs take time since they are all underwater repairs with special divers and equipment. These guys do a great job in keeping everything running efficiently and making it a safe trip for all. No big problem that would has an affect on any enjoyment of a trip.

Enjoy your cruise!! We did!!

On the subject of tugboats. Do they get paid while they are standing by, or do they only get paid for actually providing assistance?

If they are called out, you pay. A lot depends on whether the Captain has pilotage for the port in question. If he has pilotage, he does not need to take on a local pilot for entering port or docking. Some larger ports require both a harbor pilot to bring the ship in/out, and a docking master, who takes over when actually docking. If a docking master is required, his fee generally includes the cost of one tug, whether it does anything or not. In many places, it is just local politics that determines whether the ship needs to pay for a pilot, a docking master, and/or tugs, whether the ship needs them or not, and is considered just a cost of doing business in that port. Even if local regulations require a tug, most cruise ships don't need them, and don't use them, as the tires used to cushion between the tug and ship tend to mar the white paint.

And to for the previous poster who stated that the ship had a "port" thruster problem, I'm not sure if you meant that the thruster was for "in port", or that there are port and starboard thrusters. There aren't. The thruster is a propeller in a tunnel that goes all the way through the hull, and depending on which direction the propeller turns, it pushes the ship to port or starboard.

And to for the previous poster who stated that the ship had a "port" thruster problem, I'm not sure if you meant that the thruster was for "in port", or that there are port and starboard thrusters. There aren't. The thruster is a propeller in a tunnel that goes all the way through the hull, and depending on which direction the propeller turns, it pushes the ship to port or starboard.

Poster might have been confusing terminology between thrusters and azipods.

We were on Freedom Feb 16-23 and asked Kjell Evensen , Chief Engineer about the problem. He stated that they are repairing the thrusters and were ordering parts for the repairs. This is an ongoing project and that the ship can navigate fine without any thrusters at all. The thrusters are used mainly for docking. The repairs take time since they are all underwater repairs with special divers and equipment. These guys do a great job in keeping everything running efficiently and making it a safe trip for all. No big problem that would has an affect on any enjoyment of a trip.

Enjoy your cruise!! We did!!

My stress level just dropped a notch ! Thanks for the update !