A few comments-just off the NA

brichar499

It's been 18 months since we cruised HAL but we go way back with the line and are 3 star Mariners. HAL is our favorite cruise line.

We did the western itinerary last week on Nieuw Amsterdam. The ship, HAL's newest, is a marvel. No evident wear and tear nor should there be with a four year old ship that was in dry dock less than a year ago. The NA manages the 2,000 passengers as well as the passenger loads we've seen on Vista, R and S classes.

Yes, some cutbacks were obvious. You certainly can't call Adagio a string quartet any longer (it's now a piano and a violin). But there was much more live music around than on some recent cruises with competitors. Main showroom entertainment was first class on most nights but the venue was dark one night with the only offering being an 11pm crew show.

Dine In burger place is an attempt to compete with Carnival's Guy's Burger Joint and they have come close. Much better product than the Terrace Grill it replaced.

Food overall was great with little noticeable decline with one big exception. The buffet on Half Moon Cay has sunk to such lows in selection and quality that we have resolved to leave our favorite island early and go back to the ship next time for lunch. This observation was noted by several other passengers.

We traveled with another couple this time who were cruise novices and they provided an interesting perspective. Without any basis of comparison, they thought it was one of their best vacation weeks ever and they raved about the MDR, the Lido, their cabin, and the ship's activities and entertainment.

I know it's tacky to note this but count me among those who miss the last day rendition of "Love in any language." This is the first HAL cruise among ten that we did not get to enjoy this sentimental moment.

Finally, a big shout out to Cruise Director Eric Dowis. Eric is the only CD we have been with on another ship and we remembered him fondly from a few years ago on the Noordam. Eric is an unusual combination of being a secret introvert but having a winning on stage presence and wonderful dry wit. I have never seen a CD with such attention to detail and guest concern. I was out at the Lido pool just after 7am and observed Eric with shoes off and pants rolled up walking around the pool, kneeling every few feet and staring intently at the water (it appeared a little cloudy to me). And who can forget his last evening "impromptu" dance routine.

We understand Eric is leaving the line soon to head to NYC with his talented singer/dancer wife. He will be missed.

Sailed the NA for the first time last December. Beautiful ship, and I agree with your overall assessment. I too was appalled at the low quality of the HMC bbq food - ribs that were nothing but bone and gristle (sp?), tough corn on the cob, etc. I ended up eating again in the Lido when I got back on the ship!

Roz

Thanks for your review. We, too, loved the Nieuw Amsterdam. We cruised on her in the Med last fall and on the TA back to Florida.

She is in such great shape...a joy to cruise on. We had Eric Dowis on the Ryndam last year and his wife/Carrie who is the lead singer, was there, too. I read on FB that he and Carrie are headed to NYC...HAL loses in that scenario.

It's been 18 months since we cruised HAL but we go way back with the line and are 3 star Mariners. HAL is our favorite cruise line.

We did the western itinerary last week on Nieuw Amsterdam. The ship, HAL's newest, is a marvel. No evident wear and tear nor should there be with a four year old ship that was in dry dock less than a year ago. The NA manages the 2,000 passengers as well as the passenger loads we've seen on Vista, R and S classes.

Yes, some cutbacks were obvious. You certainly can't call Adagio a string quartet any longer (it's now a piano and a violin). But there was much more live music around than on some recent cruises with competitors. Main showroom entertainment was first class on most nights but the venue was dark one night with the only offering being an 11pm crew show.

Dine In burger place is an attempt to compete with Carnival's Guy's Burger Joint and they have come close. Much better product than the Terrace Grill it replaced.

Food overall was great with little noticeable decline with one big exception. The buffet on Half Moon Cay has sunk to such lows in selection and quality that we have resolved to leave our favorite island early and go back to the ship next time for lunch. This observation was noted by several other passengers.

We traveled with another couple this time who were cruise novices and they provided an interesting perspective. Without any basis of comparison, they thought it was one of their best vacation weeks ever and they raved about the MDR, the Lido, their cabin, and the ship's activities and entertainment.

I know it's tacky to note this but count me among those who miss the last day rendition of "Love in any language." This is the first HAL cruise among ten that we did not get to enjoy this sentimental moment.

Finally, a big shout out to Cruise Director Eric Dowis. Eric is the only CD we have been with on another ship and we remembered him fondly from a few years ago on the Noordam. Eric is an unusual combination of being a secret introvert but having a winning on stage presence and wonderful dry wit. I have never seen a CD with such attention to detail and guest concern. I was out at the Lido pool just after 7am and observed Eric with shoes off and pants rolled up walking around the pool, kneeling every few feet and staring intently at the water (it appeared a little cloudy to me). And who can forget his last evening "impromptu" dance routine.

We understand Eric is leaving the line soon to head to NYC with his talented singer/dancer wife. He will be missed.

You have to know what work was done while the NA was in drydock?

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 2 weeks in November -- sailed on in 2010 as well.

She is a lovely ship.

We gave up the BBQ on HMC a long time ago.

The reason you only had the Crew show one evening -- that was the evening you stayed longer in Cozumel -- and they expect people to eat and do things ashore.

We had a different CD when we were on the ship -- don't remember his name -- new to us.

I agree that BBQ on HMC last time was not as good as it was a couple of years ago.

However, we have never had more than a bite there because we are there for swimming and sunbathing that is not compatible with substantial meals.

Even without the BBQ, I cannot imagine myself leaving one of the most beautiful places on Earth to have luch on a ship :).

Thanks for your comments.

I totally agree about the BBQ on HMC. Horrible.

HALs BBQ is actually pretty good when compared to the MSC offerings at GSC, Hamburgers and hot dogs with cookies for dessert.

Thanks for your review!

We were spoiled to have Carrie as the lead singer for the initial roll out of the revamped entertainment (Droom, etc). She definitely set the bar high and will be missed. Eric was a hoot, too! Sad to hear HAL will be losing both of them.