Who is booked for an Alaskan Cruise in 2015?

lovetotraveltx

Yes we considered the DIY and could change to that later on in our planning. At this time I prefer someone else to do the "driving" for our first trip to Alaska.

Once the kids are in college my wife and I will go back and do a DIY trip for a couple weeks.

Oh, you don't have to drive yourself on a DIY trip. You can book the train yourself at https://www.alaskarailroad.com/‎ and you'll be amazed by how much you'll save. If you book the hotels yourself, expect to pay about as much for one room as the cruise line will charge per person. You'll pay for food anyway, since land portions do not include food. BTW, if you go in either May or September, you can book the Denali Princess Lodge for $99 per room per night (go to http://www.princesslodges.com/denali-lodge.cfm and then scroll down till you see Special Offers under Hotel Information on the left).

We booked a suite, a mini and a cabin on the Pacific Princess in May, 2015 for my DH and me; my son, DIL and grandson; and my daughter and a friend, and I just finished looking at what it should cost for land.

Of course, we can't book the train or hotels till it's one year out, but it looks like I'll be able to book 3 rooms, 2 nights, each, in Fairbanks, Denali, and Anchorage, plus train for 7 people (Fairbanks to Denali and then Denali to Anchorage), all for less than $4000. That is a 6 day land tour for 7 people for a total of about $4000, and we'll be going where we want, instead of where the tour stops. That also includes a tour into Denali park for all, as well as the cost for the Fairbanks steamboat tour for all.

Princess would charge about $1000 per person for the 6 days, according to their website, but we'd not spend time in Anchorage, according to their website. So my savings will be about $3000, which isn't an amount to sneeze at.:eek:

Charlotte

Edited by Trash Queen

I was on the Coral Northbound with a land tour last August. I loved the Coral. I am now booked for June of next year with 5 days on land first then going Southbound on Star Princess sailing on July 4th.

I had a wonderful time last year and can't wait to go back. Alaska is so beautiful and so much to see.

A group of us that met last year are all going together next year. I realized after last year that I needed more time on land and want to relax coming back.

I'm hoping by going at the end of June/beginning of July that I might get a chance to see McKinley. It rained the whole time on my last trip except it always stopped when I got to my excursion and when we were in Glacier Bay. This time I will get to experience the 20 hours of daylight since we will be there 1 week after the solstice.

I can't wait to try different excursions but one thing that will stay the same is whale watching with Harv and Marv. They were great and it was only 12 of us on the boat.

I now have a new Canon Rebel EOS camera so I'm looking forward to getting some great shots.

Forgive me if I posted on the incorrect forum.

I am curious about the reason you folks are booking a year ahead. Trying to convince my DH that I could have the cruise paid for without digging so deep and also the prices may be cheaper.

We aren't newbies, but he never plans ahead, always last minute.

Thank you for your input.

I am curious about the reason you folks are booking a year ahead. Trying to convince my DH that I could have the cruise paid for without digging so deep and also the prices may be cheaper.

Since this topic is about 2015 bookings, you should probably start a new topic with your question.

My answer to your question is because we wanted a particular cabin.

Edited by Italy52

Since its our 30th anniversary we booked early to have our pick of shops, itineraries, cabin etc.

We booked early because we have a group of 6 and we wanted specific cabins :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What type/location of cabin did you get this time and last time. Any pointers on the land tour and/or the Millennium?

Thanks!

I booked a balcony for both my husband and I and also for my Son and his wife. I do not think I could handle just a small window to look out or no window. And prices were not too bad.

I picked the Celebrity Millennium tour/ cruise mainly because I wanted to return to Hotel Alyeska. And if you look at the tours that Princess does on their land tour they do not stay in Girdwood at all. Also I loved the Talkneetna Alaskan Lodge for one night and then onto Denali for 2 nights then our last night at Hotel Alyeska. Althought I am sure Princess has wonderful Hotels also I just wanted to return to the one I so loved. Also at the Hotel Alyeska there is a lift that takes you up to the Mt and you can have lunch/dinner up there and that was something I also did not see at the other Hotels.

I think Holland did go to Girdwood and stay at Hotel Alyeska but it actually was a bit more in $$ and I was very happy with Millennium in every way. The only thing I wished they had was a self Laundry onboard. lol but I think that I got that figured out and worse case I will just turn in a bag of jeans for the special they have on the ship.

To experience another ship sort of made me want to go on another tour/cruise just to try it but the choice of Hotels in my opinion is what made me want to stick with Celebrity. But whatever your choice is I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas on June 12, 2015, rt Seattle. This is my second cruise to Alaska, my husband's first. We have some friends joining us for the cruise, so looking forward to having some fun!

I book way ahead because I like to get first pick of the cabins. I wanted a hump room and was able to get it. Also, the tour I most wanted to do (Anan Creek Bear Tour) only allows 40 permits/day. I wanted to make sure I was able to get this tour by booking it early.

I did because I am putting a group together and I wanted everyone to be able to schedule time and also some people need more time to be able to pay for it

We're booked for the Radiance Vancouver RT in September 2015! This will be our first trip to Alaska. We're bringing the kids & both Grandmas. I've been doing a lot of research as one in our party uses a motorized wheelchair, which changes the types of excursions & transportation available to us. Luckily we live in Vancouver, so there's always a chance for glacier & whale tours on another trip. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them. I'm also hoping to read a few reviews of this iteniary this May or from the charter this September. If anyone here is on either of these cruises I'd love to read your review after you return. :)

I booked my 06/14 cruise in March 13. I booked the airline the day I could and got 1st class for the same amount of points you would use for economy. You can always cancel the reservation with a full refund but you can never get the room you wanted again!