Who is booked for an Alaskan Cruise in 2015?

lovetotraveltx

I will be on the Pearl in September. First time to Alaska and soooooo excited!!! Starting to do more planning now....Hotel in Seattle, transfers, shore excursions. All recommendations are welcome! :)

What ports? We travel in June. Rented a car in Juneau. Two excursions in Skagway. Van trip to Yukon with Dyea Dave the cruise excursion in the afternoon to liarsville for salmon bake and gold panning. Ketch an we are just eating lunch and walking around and Totems some way. We also go to icy straight point where we'll whale watch privately with fishes.

We are celebrating our 25th anniversary on the July 29 southbound sailing of Coral Princess. We are spending a week prior to the cruise on a DIY land tour to include Seward, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage, and then a day post-cruise in Vancouver. I've been planning since November and can hardly wait! First time to Alaska for both of us.

We're one of the earlybirds - Vancouver to Whittier on Pacific Princess May 19-25 and a conoisseur landtour to follow :D:D

I am even earlier......sailing May 8th.......;)

I am researching the two cruise lines, Holland America and Princess. My husband and I are planning a cruise to Alaska for our 35th anniversary. We have chosen a 7-day inside passage cruise beginning May 16, 2015. As I have not booked a cruise before (my daughters took me on a 3-day cruise to Ensenada, MX on the Crown Princess in January of this year) I am attempting to get educated. I loved the Crown Princess cruise to Ensenada, but am not sure if that would be the best cruise line for our Alaskan cruise. I realize that the Westerdam ship with Holland America is smaller, and that may be better for my husband who does not like large, loud crowds. I am asking for input from this critic board as to what I need to consider in making a decision. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I loved the Crown Princess cruise to Ensenada, but am not sure if that would be the best cruise line for our Alaskan cruise.

A lot of lines offer great Alaskan cruises. But, Princess was one of the original lines that opened up Alaska to the cruise world. They know the area very well and do a wonderful job in the region! You won't be disappointed!

I am researching the two cruise lines, Holland America and Princess. My husband and I are planning a cruise to Alaska for our 35th anniversary.

I am asking for input from this critic board as to what I need to consider in making a decision. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

This question is asked frequently .... look over the first several pages of this forum to read past threads.

For me the itinerary would be far more critical than the ship. Choose an itinerary that visits ports you want to see. Make sure you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for planned activities. ie 8am-8pm is better than 7am-noon. Do you have a glacier viewing priority. I've only seen Glacier Bay but it was spectacular and a national park for a reason.

And for a RT I would choose Vancouver over Seattle. Vancouver trips sail between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland so very scenic. Seattle trips sail on the west side of V Island which is basically open sea ... no scenery and greater potential for rougher seas. If flights to SeaTac are significantly cheaper it's easy enough to reach Vancouver.

Have you read any trip reports to pick up comments? There are about 60 detailed trip reports from last summer, posted in a STICKY near the top of the page. Many are photojournals with photos of the ship, excursions, sights, cabins, even meals. Most people enjoyed their trip regardless of which ship they chose, but there were a few negative. A common complaint was, I wish we had more time in _____.

Have fun with the research !

p.s. I would encourage you to open a thread of your own for future questions, otherwise you'll be lost in long long thread that people don't read anymore. I only opened this thread by accident :>)

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

My husband and I are cruising to Alaska aboard The Radiance of The seas from Vancouver August 21st. It will be my second cruise (My first was to the Caribbean when I was 11) First time for my Husband. I am so excited!! Love that I found this site to help with questions and planning.

(Although I am still trying to figure it all out!)

We've booked this cruise it's my brother-in-law's 60th birthday. We'll actually be away for his birthday, so looking forward to it. I'm looking at all the trips, wondering what to do, there's so much!!!!

I'm like tropicgirl52, I want to pack now, but I'm used to packing for sunnier climates, decisions, decisions.

We have 4 couples sailing on the Princess Star Northbound on August 8th. We are also doing the railway trip to Fairbanks when we get off the ship. This will be everyones first trip to Alaska. So excited for August!

Booked our first Alaskan cruise, love RCCL on other cruises hope I made a good choice! Since this is a bucket list cruise I need help booking the best excursions no matter the cost! We are doing Vancouver to Seward then 4 day land and flying home from anchorage ! Which is the beat port to do helicopter to glacier, dog sledding etc??? TIA!!

What ports? We travel in June. Rented a car in Juneau. Two excursions in Skagway. Van trip to Yukon with Dyea Dave the cruise excursion in the afternoon to liarsville for salmon bake and gold panning. Ketch an we are just eating lunch and walking around and Totems some way. We also go to icy straight point where we'll whale watch privately with fishes.

You can take the city bus to Totem Bight Park in Ketchikan and see the totems there.

We are taking the HAL 14 night cruise on the Statendam on July 27. It will be our 50th anniversary celebration cruise.