Cozumel

MzMelissa26

Ok so I'm trying to keep things budget friendly but I don't like to be crowded lol. Apparently there are seven ships in Cozumel the day we are there and we are like the 4th one to arrive. Now I see that Paradise Beach is free but I assume many will flock to the free option. ...I was also looking at Sanchos AI option but it looks like the AI side may be just as crowded. Idk... I'm very indecisive on this one. Also I am very fair skinned so I need some shade but I don't want to be stuck in a regular chair all day...I would prefer a lounger. I have to consider also that I'm visiting three other ports but I'm thinking 7 mile Beach in Cayman is an easier option to just pop in anywhere so I'm thinking I need to reserve a spot in Cozumel asap as I leave in 10 days. Any suggestions? I don't drink a lot but I have a 16 year old boy who can eat a house lol

Edited by MzMelissa26

Look at Chankanaab -- the $20 admission keeps the crowds down, nice beach plus a snorkeling area, chairs, food, drinks, service, etc. Only about a $10 cab ride from the piers.

Edited by JohninDC

Just to clarify Paradise Beach has a 3.00 admission and the water toys are 12.00. they also ask that you order 10.00 ea for food or drinks. Of all the beach clubs on this side of the island Planacar Beach would have less tourist because of its distance from the piers. 20.00 for the cab ea way.

Edited by runner15km

Palancar is wonderful! Beautiful, quiet, no cover charge and the food and service is excellent and not to pricey. There are a few very small huts there with people selling things but no one is pushy. We loved our day there, we arrived at about 10:30 and nearly had the place to ourselves until probably 1 when it got a little busy but nothing terrible. Decent snorkeling right off the beach too.

Edited by jaasb0808

Palancar is wonderful! Beautiful, quiet, no cover charge and the food and service is excellent and not to pricey. There are a few very small huts there with people selling things but no one is pushy. We loved our day there, we arrived at about 10:30 and nearly had the place to ourselves until probably 1 when it got a little busy but nothing terrible. Decent snorkeling right off the beach too.

It has been a few years back, but we had a nice day at Palancar with 7 or 8 ships in port. We arrived early and had our pick of chairs. About 10:00 people started showing up and most left by 2:00. There was good service, food, hammocks and cold drinks. I wasn't impressed with the snorkeling from shore. Too much sand. It takes coral or ironshore to hold a lot of fish. Places like Chankanaab, Playa Corona, Playa Uvas or Money Bar are better shore snorkeling, but Palancar's boat trip to the reef is well worth the money. We had only 8 people when we snorkeled the reef. I would pay $30 to do it again. Oh, I almost forgot, you need to try their shrimp fajitas. Two Thumbs Up!;)

How long is the taxi ride to Palancar?

About 15 minutes from Puerta Maya pier. Taxis are always waiting there outside the pier when you arrive and the process is quick. All the drivers know where Palancar is. On the way down you will pass the other beach resorts-Nachi, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia, etc and Palancar is the furthest one down the coast. Probably why it is less crowded. There will be taxis also waiting at Palancar to take you back. Every time we've been our waiter has told us that if there aren't taxis there when we are ready to leave he will call one for us but we've never had to. This place is laid back, good food and bar, not much to do except enjoy the beach. I think you can arrange snorkeling and I've seen them parasailing out there a few times. They do have massages available also but they will not bother you if you don't want one. All in all, this place is the best part of my trip to Coz.

But then Palancar looks good lol. ... sigh

We also enjoy Palancar very much because it is quiet but a word of caution since you asked specifically there are not many, if any, loungers with palapas or umbrellas (see above photos and google images). Also I am not sure what your 16 year old is interested in doing but there are no organized activities other than snorkeling and water sports, (extra charge).

For AI near the port I would suggest looking at Park Royal, (no taxi require from International or Puerta Maya), although to be honest I am having trouble getting them to respond to my current emails regarding day passes so perhaps they have stopped them.

Also consider Buccanos to the north

http://www.buccanos.com/Buccanos-Bar-Grill.htm

They have shaded loungers to right hand side of property. I wrote a short review here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41523190&postcount=2

Yep.... I'm thinking maybe pay for Mr Sanchos in Cozumel and use my OBC for something in Cayman.

Also if you plan on using the pool at Sanchos, remember, the ala carte side has a tiny pool that is very shallow, versus the AI side has a larger pool with tables in the water and a swim up bar.

So if the use of the pool is important, it might be worth the extra $$ for the added amenities.

mr_sanchos_02.jpg

non AI pool

mr-sanchos-cozumel.jpg

AI pool

Overhead view of the property.

cozumel_mr_sanchos_beach_parasailing_excursion_72-22.jpg

AI pool to left and non AI to the right

I know the pool at Nachi is important to me, but DW could careless, as long as she has her spot under a palapa.

Best of luck finding a perfect beach day in Cozumel.

Edited by bguppies