Room Decorations ??

Has anyone ever ordered the stateroom decorations?

How do they look?

does the cruiseline put them up in the room before you arrive?

I'm thinking about this for my girls' room since I put them "in a tiny, dark hole" of an inside stateroom (while we have a balcony across the hall) ;) says my teenager.

I was thinking about the Bon Voyage style. Any opinions, advice is appreciated!

If you went to a dollar store with a crisp $5 you'd have the same thing (or possibly better/more decorations). Your kids are probably going to be thrilled to have their own room, decorated or not. Your dime, your call.

Last May our daughter and her roommate we given a cruise (by the parents) as a "We finished our Masters" present. We purchased the Bon Voyage package. The room was decorated and everything in place before the announcement was made that cabins were available. The decorations were a little cheesy...OK, maybe more than a little...but you would have thought Martha Stewart had spent thousands decorating the cabin based on the response we got.

Yes you can get the same thing at the Dollar Store, but then try to get them in your luggage without getting them damaged and then trying to sneak to put them up. I think its so much easier to pay the ship to put them up before they arrive...its a nice surprise. You can always take them down if they get tired of looking at them.

Yes you can get the same thing at the Dollar Store, but then try to get them in your luggage without getting them damaged and then trying to sneak to put them up. I think its so much easier to pay the ship to put them up before they arrive...its a nice surprise. You can always take them down if they get tired of looking at them.

It's pretty easy to put decorations in a suitcase. Most are sold "flat" or plastic wrapped. If your goal is for them to see the decorations at arrival, you have a point. But if you just want to give them some palm tree cutouts, streamers, tiki huts, flamingos, etc for fun I'd rather not spend $30+. For $5 it's a laugh. That's just me though.

It's pretty easy to put decorations in a suitcase. Most are sold "flat" or plastic wrapped. If your goal is for them to see the decorations at arrival, you have a point. But if you just want to give them some palm tree cutouts, streamers, tiki huts, flamingos, etc for fun I'd rather not spend $30+. For $5 it's a laugh. That's just me though.

Isnt it all about the element of surprise?:D Seeing them walk in that room to see the decorations is priceless. After spending 1000 for the cruise, its my opinion that another 30 bux isnt gonna hurt to see my DD smile and get excited.

Isnt it all about the element of surprise?:D Seeing them walk in that room to see the decorations is priceless. After spending 1000 for the cruise, its my opinion that another 30 bux isnt gonna hurt to see my DD smile and get excited.

You're right, anyone spending thousands on the cruise can afford it. And if you are looking for a reaction, well, maybe it's good money spent.

My opinion is all this nickle/dimey stuff is getting worse and worse because people go "well, its just a few bucks." I like better meat, not more gravy; if you catch what I mean.

I won't fault you for spending money how you wish and enjoying what you enjoy, but I think it's also important that the OP understand that the decorations are the equal of what $5 from a dollar tree will get.

thank you for everyone's opinions - they are all welcomed and appreciated!

I kind of figured they'd be $8 worth of decorations for $31 but then again, I have tried putting up decorations in a hotel room once (6 year old's birthday) What a pain in the butt it was - climbing on furniture, making sure to remember the tape, etc...

What got it started was my TA called and said most of the "gifts" were probably not something we'd really care about so she's just giving us some cash to spend as we see fit (my TA is my mom ;) ) so I started looking to see what they had and that's when I came across the room decorations and thought it would be fun for my girls. We'll see - I have another week to decide.

Does anyone have pictures by any chance?

I get the anniversary ones for my wife when we cruise and I like them a lot, as does she. They hang something in the room going across the ceiling and they put a sign on the door (that I can live without). Room has always been decorated before I got to it even when I go right as they are available including the flowers, cake, fruit, champagne and other things I populate the room with on day one. Must be there for a while before we go because the room is very very fragrant when we walk in

My family surprised us with the bon voyage decorations one time and we really enjoyed it. I think it is fun coming into the room and seeing the decorations. One time for my birthday we stopped at the dollar store and got birthday mylar balloons and as we were standing in line to check in I got all sorts of birthday well wishes from other passengers and they even sang Happy Birthday to me. It was really cool. Now we have the picture that was taken as we got on board with my balloons and I will always remember that birthday! A surprise is a surprise is a surprise!!!

I'm surprised by the negative responses. Obviously it's some inexpensive decorations, but it's only 30 bucks. It's not "nickel and diming" by RCCL, it's the customers choice! We had our room decorated for our daughters 15th birthday last year and she loved it when she walked in to the room:)

We went on allure for our honeymoon and my parents called royal and order decorations for us. We were very surprised and that they were fantastic. They stayed up the whole time and the door sign is great help with finding your room (since all the doors look the same lol)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I decided to order it. I googled pictures and they look okay. Since we aren't wasting any money on excursions or anything, it's not a big deal to spend $31 to make their room festive.

I'll be sure to take pictures if anyone is interested for future cruises.

Good for you! On our very first cruise the TA ordered us the Bon Voyage package. Not only were we surprised, we loved it! The couple next to us were very ticked off at their TA hadn't done anything for them ever and this was their 6th cruise! We got comments all week long welcoming us to our first cruise! The girls will love it! :)

Good for you! On our very first cruise the TA ordered us the Bon Voyage package. Not only were we surprised, we loved it! The couple next to us were very ticked off at their TA hadn't done anything for them ever and this was their 6th cruise! We got comments all week long welcoming us to our first cruise! The girls will love it! :)

Yeah :) Thank you! I'm excited for them to see it when they open their door :D

My travel agent ordered Birthday decorations as a surprise on my last cruise. There was a very large hanging banner in the bedroom and a sparkly chandelier

type thing hanging from the ceiling. There was also a shiny banner on the door. The decorations were nice and had RCCL "crowns" on them so they were a bit unique. It was fun to walk into the room and see them, but I am sure that you could bring something just as nice yourself. I did bring them home as they can definitely be used again.

I did the birthday decorations in August for DH on Freedom - they were nice, a really fun and colorful surprise, and he loved 'em! We left them up for the whole week, and we actually packed them home and have used them twice since then for family birthday dinners.:D

The pic below shows the major stuff - a long banner type decoration over the bed, and a chandelier type decoration. There was also a birthday decoration thing on the vanity (looked like a big light blue foil-wrapped Hershey's kiss with fireworks coming out the top) and a foil fringed magnetic strip for the door. The decorations were colorful, festive, fun, and really pretty nice quality - I'd definitely do it again. (And they were there when we got to our cabin on boarding day, so it was fun to see DH open the door and see them.)

Judy

JS1364.jpg

Edited by foxgoodrich