Visit from the upgrade fairy

Aegis1984

I know it has been hit and miss with price-drop situations, but we recently had success in our endeavor.

We are departing on the April 7th Panama Canal Sunfarer aboard the Zuiderdam. We had booked an inside J cabin, as luck would have it, being the same cabin as we were in to Alaska. A couple days ago, we received an e-mail saying they would upgrade our cabin for a 'modest' fee (my wording, not theirs). However, we looked into some pricing. Vacations 2 Go had listed J category cabins at a much lower rate, and checking HAL's site, it was nearly $200 less per person! Needless to say, we were questioning this and having been past our final payment date, concern set in that we would be told "Nope, too bad."

Well, we called up HAL and the person was quite amiable! Not only did they sympathize with us, but they upgraded us to a different cabin at no extra charge! We've gone from an inside J to a partially obstructed G. That is fantastic. Sure, it may be smaller however we don't spend much time at all in our cabin.

They weren't as receptive as to give me my own cabin, and leave my parents with one of their own, but you can't blame a guy for trying. Single supplements are terrible, however I can see the logic behind them.

For myself and my parents who are getting on in years, it should be just fine. All I need to do now is pack my earplugs. :o

I am doing a 2 week TA on the NA on April 6. I originally booked an inside, then saw a price drop and my TA was able to get me a free upgrade to an obstructed OV. Then my TA called me yesterday with an offer from HAL-I could upgrade to an unobstructed OV for $80 or a balcony stateroom for $198(I am travelling solo this time). I took the balcony and was able to choose from a few different cabins. I am a 3-star mariner and I had marked my reservation do not upgrade so perhaps they would have moved me up a bit anyway with no charge but I like choosing where I am on the ship and feel this was a very good offer.

Edited by lizziebargain

I am doing a 2 week TA on the NA on April 6. I originally booked an inside, then saw a price drop and my TA was able to get me a free upgrade to an obstructed OV. Then my TA called me yesterday with an offer from HAL-I could upgrade to an unobstructed OV for $80 or a balcony stateroom for $198(I am travelling solo this time). I took the balcony and was able to choose from a few different cabins. I am a 3-star mariner and I had marked my reservation do not upgrade so perhaps they would have moved me up a bit anyway with no charge but I like choosing where I am on the ship and feel this was a very good offer.

If you marked your cabin do not upgrade it's unlikely but not impossible that it could ave happened. I think you made a wise choice and that is a good price. Upsells do go out to folks that have their cabins marked do not upgrade.

Yes you are absolutely right Cruz chic-what I meant to say( and not very clearly) was that perhaps if I had NOT marked do not upgrade they may have upgraded me a bit anyway without charge but I like to know that I have a cabin in a quiet place rather than have it randomly chosen by HAL.

Yes you are absolutely right Cruz chic-what I meant to say( and not very clearly) was that perhaps if I had NOT marked do not upgrade they may have upgraded me a bit anyway without charge but I like to know that I have a cabin in a quiet place rather than have it randomly chosen by HAL.

Yes, you are correct. That could happen. It's never happened to me in 300 days but I think Hal does nothing to reward loyalty. In my mind, I'd rather pay the small upsell for the balcony but I do realize that not everyone is in the same boat. I remember reading one person not wanting to pay $49 for an upgrade to a balcony. That floored me. I'm in the same solo situation. Have a wonderful cruise on your balcony:).

Thanks so much I will enjoy it-I am with you I would grab a balcony upsell at $49 too- but if it is very expensive I would rather spend money on activities ashore. I guess we all have different preferences and budgets-my sister doesn't like inside cabins but I don't mind them if it means I can cruise more often!!

Thanks so much I will enjoy it-I am with you I would grab a balcony upsell at $49 too- but if it is very expensive I would rather spend money on activities ashore. I guess we all have different preferences and budgets-my sister doesn't like inside cabins but I don't mind them if it means I can cruise more often!!

I agree. Sometimes activities or shore ex are more important.

Newbie question - when you say upsell for $49 - is that per day? We choose an obstructed view vs inside because I was worried I'd get claustrophobic on my 1st....but if an offer came and it was reasonable amount, I'd consider it. How does that usually work? I understand it won't likely happen until closer to cruise time

Edited by Mytime2014

Newbie question - when you say upsell for $49 - is that per day? We choose an obstructed view vs inside because I was worried I'd get claustrophobic on my 1st....but if an offer came and it was reasonable amount, I'd consider it. How does that usually work? I understand it won't likely happen until closer to cruise time

No that would be for the entire cruise.

Mytime-did you mark it do not upgrade or not. If you did check that box it is possible that HAL might give you a free upgrade-but it may not be an upgrade in your mind-for eg it could be a noisier location. Perhaps if you mark do not upgrade like I did there may be a chance of an upsell offer for a price-I am no expert in this and a lot of us think it is quite random and not sure how HAL decides who to make offers to.

Edited by lizziebargain

Mytime-did you mark it do not upgrade or not. If you did check that box it is possible that HAL might give you a free upgrade-but it may not be an upgrade in your mind-for eg it could be a noisier location. Perhaps if you mark do not upgrade like I did there may be a chance of an upsell offer for a price-I am no expert in this and a lot of us think it is quite random and not sure how HAL decides who to make offers to.

Good question - my friend is the primary on the trip, we did reservations on the phone and don't remember anything about upgrade coming up. Would that be on her check-in information and should she watch for email or phone? I'm an email addict - she's not!!! so I'll remind her to keep an eye out. We had "issues" with 3 components of our initial reservation, so when she talked to the customer service supervisor [and at my insistence] she told them to mark our file for any possible upgrade fairy visits. They were chatting like old friends by the time everything was fixed, so maybe we'll be in the magic.

seriously tho - just being on a cruise ship is going to be magic

Good question - my friend is the primary on the trip, we did reservations on the phone and don't remember anything about upgrade coming up. Would that be on her check-in information and should she watch for email or phone? I'm an email addict - she's not!!! so I'll remind her to keep an eye out. We had "issues" with 3 components of our initial reservation, so when she talked to the customer service supervisor [and at my insistence] she told them to mark our file for any possible upgrade fairy visits. They were chatting like old friends by the time everything was fixed, so maybe we'll be in the magic.

seriously tho - just being on a cruise ship is going to be magic

I believe that people that book directly with hal have a better chance of seeing an upsell although folks will disagree. My upsells have come into my email. Time is of the essense.

Edited by cruz chic

thanks cruzchic - I'll nag her about checking her email frequently.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm checking mine several times lately. The ones I have received haven't shown up in my email until about 7 pm mountain time or 6 pm Seattle time.