Top 5 things about cruising ncl?

hbooden

Ok so I have 250 or so days left ( yes I am counting) and just want to be wowed about what you love about cruising and cruising ncl:)

Back ground is we have never cruised before and we are going on the gem!

What are your ncl must dos? (We have a balcony but not a suite).

Do you ever skip a port and stay on board? (We are considering since we have 6 port days).

Do you count days like I do? So excited!!!!

Really any tips, highlights, or not to miss things would be great to hear!!!!

Heather

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

1) Make up your mind to have a good time. 00% of being happy or not is in your head!

2) Go with it. Remember you are on one heck of a vacation. It is OK to plan but (IMHO) too much planning of things every day makes a vacation too much like being at home.

3) EAT! Try all kinds of food. DRINK! But try not to over do it, you want to have a good time and remember your cruise... EVENTS! Go to some of the shows, play some of the organized games, etc.

4) When you go into the ports, If you are not part of an organized excursion try not to venture off from the well traveled parts of the port. You be safe at the ports but as with anywhere there are places to go nad not go. Straying off into uncharted places is usually not a good idea.

5) Don't be tempted by the 'sale of a lifetime' hawks. You can usually do just as well at home. If you do buy anytign even slightly high dollar, dicker prices and when you get to the absolute best price walk away. Check other places. They will ALWAYS come down a little more. This is especially true in the art gallery. Google them and you will read all about what I am saying.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Some very good suggestions from the last post.

Let me add:

Go the ROLL CALL for your cruise.

Visit the PORTS OF CALL for help on tours.

Read though past reviews, but understand you will find some really nasty ones. And you will find people that cruise over and over.

Scroll down through posts from the past few weeks. Lots on questions answered you did not even know you had.

I love these already! Planning this vaca is my happy place;) not over planning but researching and being happy (our first vaca since having kids...with no kids!!!!)

Thanks for indulging me:)

Best thing about NCL is Freestyle! Don't plan anything. Especially dinners. Why would you? Just go with what you feel like at the time. Yes, we have skipped a port or two and just stayed onboard. Loved it. We're more interested in the ship, usually, than the ports.

Must do? Just grab a lounger and vegetate on the deck every once in awhile. You're on vacation. Strike up conversations with other passengers. You'll be reminded that it really is a small world.

Throw a towel over the TV! :):):)

I thought you meant 100 so either way lol

You will be fine. Our first cruise was in 2011. We are NOT normally the 'planned vacation' type and as such we were a tad apprehensive to day the least. I have to say that our NCL cruises have been the absolute best vacations we have ever taken!

Here are are few more tings to do... Book your cruise EARLY to get the EXACT cabin you want.

Come back to the ncl.com web site frequently and watch prices, if they go down call back in and they will adjust the price for you.

Prices lock in at final payment, so don't worry if prices go on fire sal last minute, it WILL happen most likely. Remember that you got a great price already...

Sometimes at the last few weeks they will upgrade or upsell you to a better cabin cheaply (sometimes even free).

Get a PCC (presonal cruise consultant) if you do not have one. If you need one, well we cannot technically give that info here but if yo go to FB and ask for helkp 'someone' will help you.

Do others count down-YES! 46 days til my next cruise:D

Skipping ports? Yes, but only if I have been there before and there is nothing more I want to see. to each his own-some cruise for the ports, some cruise for the ship-you will figure out which you like... it may be a mix...

Tips/highlights-

try a specialty restaurant if it appeals. The ones I have tried were worth it.

The balcony experience is awesome-if you do not want to hit the sail away party-grab your drinks from a bar and watch from the balcony...or order bottle of wine/choice of alcohol from room service and same...it was nice to sit on a balcony for sail away-different experience from a sail away party.

Most of all and this is a repeat of what others say-relax and enjoy your vacation!

Countdown? Ummmmm check my signature! ;) You can make a countdown clock to insert in your signature here on CC...and then look at it and be happy all the time!

Definitely check out some of the info and threads on here about packing. There were some great tips that I picked up that will help you be prepared with everything you need, while also not overpacking.

Wander all over the ship on the first day to get a handle on the layout. You'll have fun exploring, and you won't worry about getting lost later when you want to find all of the places and activities you're looking for. Also, go eat in the aft main dining room for lunch on embarkation day. You'll avoid the massive buffet crowds and kick off your vacation with a classy, leisurely lunch until you can head to the cabin!

Check the Freestyle Daily every day so that you know what great activities, games, and entertainment you'll want to participate in/watch.

You are going to have an amazing time, and you'll be hooked on cruising in no time! :D

Freestyle, the only way to enjoy a cruise. As others have said, do what you want, eat when, and where you want, enjoy the entertainment, explore the ship. The one thing that I always enjoy is the crew entertainment show on the last sea day, especially "fountains"....not to be missed.:)

Ok so I have 250 or so days left ( yes I am counting) and just want to be wowed about what you love about cruising and cruising ncl:)

Back ground is we have never cruised before and we are going on the gem!

Cruising is like taking a little break from the real world. On NCL you don't have to plan stuff in advance (though you can) and just do whatever you feel like doing at the time.

What are your ncl must dos? (We have a balcony but not a suite).

Enjoy your balcony! I like to spend some time there in the afternoon, just being with the ocean.

Go find the Bridge Observation Room and visit the Gem Mermaid, if she is still there.

Do you ever skip a port and stay on board? (We are considering since we have 6 port days).

Constantly. I really like being on the ship... and on port days most of those pesky other people get off and leave the ship to me. You can get a good spot by the pool, the buffet isn't busy, and sometimes you can get a discount at the Spa.

Prices lock in at final payment, so don't worry if prices go on fire sal last minute, it WILL happen most likely. Remember that you got a great price already...

Yes remember that you got your stateroom at the best price at the time

and also you got to pick your stateroom location.

At the last minute those staterooms that are offered on the cheap may not

be so inviting such as obstructed view out your balcony cabin or maybe under

a noisy deck above where there is partying all night or maybe next to a high

traffic area (elevators and stairwells) crew servicing areas etc.

So booking early has its advantages to your advantage and some of the

last minute changes may affect your OBC (On Board Credit) spending and

other amenities.

Relax you got the best deal and you will get better ones in the future.

And foremost "Get me to the Church (No I mean the ship) On Time" you

would not want to miss any of the fun.

First time cruising opens you to an exciting event - take it all in and enjoy

everything - it will make memories for years to come !

You always remember your first time....(your first cruise, that is...!)

For us, it was our honeymoon and I still have so-o-o-o many pix of the two ports we went to and just about every feature of the ship (pix of food, the cabin, stairs, pool, atrium etc). The experience definitely hooked us big time on cruising!

Wander all over the ship on the first day to get a handle on the layout. You'll have fun exploring, and you won't worry about getting lost later when you want to find all of the places and activities you're looking for.....

Check the Freestyle Daily every day so that you know what great activities, games, and entertainment you'll want to participate in/watch.

Dorhead covered my # 1 & 2!

1. Take time to explore the entire ship.

2. Read the entire. Freestyle Daily that will be in your room every day.

3. Plan to spend twice as much money on the ship as you might expect. Drinks and odds & ends can really add up quickly if you aren't watching closely.

4. Watch the sunrise from a lounge chair on the deserted upper deck at least one early morning.

5. Don't worry about what others are doing/wearing/eating, etc. It's your freestyle vacation to do your way! Don't over plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nice to see so many thoughtful tips posted by CC's to help not only this first time cruiser but they also help to remind veteran cruisers about some tips they may have forgotten about! :)

We love NCL because of the Freestyle cruising...do what you want, when you want, with whom you want! We love to have dinner alone, just the 2 of us and we never have a problem getting a table, usually by the window or in a quiet corner. I lounge by the pool while my husband explores the ship so by dinner we haven't seen much of each other so it's nice to sit and relax during dinner with each other, without having to be with a group. Not sure you can do that on any other big cruise line.

We do get off the ship at the ports but don't always do an excursion. Sometimes it's just nice to get off, walk around the shopping area that is usually right at the port, take some pictures, pick up some souvenirs, and then head back to the ship and relax with a glass of wine on your balcony! We always bring 2 large bottles of our favorite wine, pay the corkage fee ($15 per bottle) at embarkation so that we can keep it in our cabin and enjoy whenever we want. We also spend our share at the bars on the ship...and the poster who said plan to spend double what you think you will spend is right! We check our account every couple of days just to make sure there are no mistakes. Waiting to do that the night before your cruise is over will find you waiting in a long line!

We love the Gem and I know you will too! Have a great first cruise!

Positive attitude is very important for success. Sounds like you are well on your way to success.

Make some memories: Have someone take your pictures together (if traveling with a companion) at someplace important to you. Possibly at one of those flotation rings with ships name on it.

Do something unexpected for your companion. Could be flowers; reservations at Specialty Restaurant; Spa massage or something during a shore excursion.

You'll have fun just planning it along with the reaction to them receiving it.

You don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to make a great memory. Many times its the little things that are the best. Just like kids playing with the box and wrappings rather than the expensive gift that came in it.