Annual multi trip travel insurance help

Not sure how it works?

I have paid in full for my June 14 cruise so need to purchase insurance soon.

We cruise in june but I want to cover my April 2015 and possible November 2014 cruise cruise with one annual policy.

I can purchase the Annual with an April 23rd 2014 start date April 22nd 2015 finish date but if something drastic happens between now and April 23rd 2014 when the policy starts will I be covered for travel arrangements that have already been booked and paid for that take place after the April policy start date:confused:

Not sure how it works?

We cruise in june but I want to cover my April 2015 and possible November 2014 cruise cruise with one annual policy.

I can purchase the Annual with an April 23rd 2014 start date April 22nd 2015 finish date but if something drastic happens between now and April 23rd 2014 when the policy starts will I be covered for travel arrangements that have already been booked and paid for that take place after the April policy start date:confused:

If a situation occurs (that is covered by the policy) that causes you to cancel you can claim your out-of-pocket expenses. Naturally the insurance premium you paid will not be recoverable.

Lucky you - your three cruises will be covered by the one annual policy.:)

Not sure how it works?

the annual insurance is for 12 months only so you would have to start the insurance cover now just in case something happens for your june cruise, you would not have cover for your april 2015 cruise

depends on the conditions of the policy but if you were on a domestic trip 200kms from home you could be covered also in the 12 month period

I would think that if April 23rd is the start date then anything that happens prior to that date would not be covered. It would also be treated as a pre-existing condition for when the policy does start. If it were covered then you'd actually have an annual policy that lasts for more than one year. I very much doubt that the insurance company would agree to that.

So you either take the risk, or you take out a yearly policy to cover 2 of the cruises and a single policy to cover the third. You could work out whether it would be cheaper to cover the first one or the last one separately. Or, a better idea, plan a fourth cruise for late 2015, take an annual policy out now and then renew it next year! :D

I would think that if April 23rd is the start date then anything that happens prior to that date would not be covered. It would also be treated as a pre-existing condition for when the policy does start. If it were covered then you'd actually have an annual policy that lasts for more than one year. I very much doubt that the insurance company would agree to that.

So you either take the risk, or you take out a yearly policy to cover 2 of the cruises and a single policy to cover the third. You could work out whether it would be cheaper to cover the first one or the last one separately. Or, a better idea, plan a fourth cruise for late 2015, take an annual policy out now and then renew it next year! :D

This is what I was thinking but! If I take out a single trip insurance as usual It starts the day I start my trip and finishes the day I finish, so If anything happens to me before my trip starts am I covered for any pre paid out of pocket? I always thought I was?

My trip starts 30th May 2014 and ends 28th June 2014, if i want to be covered in case something happens to prevent me from starting my trip would I need to buy a policy that starts today 23rd March and runs to 28th June:confused:

Most people say they purchase travel insurance the day their trip is paid for but they only purchase the days the trip runs for/

This is what I was thinking but! If I take out a single trip insurance as usual It starts the day I start my trip and finishes the day I finish, so If anything happens to me before my trip starts am I covered for any pre paid out of pocket? I always thought I was?

My trip starts 30th May 2014 and ends 28th June 2014, if i want to be covered in case something happens to prevent me from starting my trip would I need to buy a policy that starts today 23rd March and runs to 28th June:confused:

Most people say they purchase travel insurance the day their trip is paid for but they only purchase the days the trip runs for/

if you take out an annual policy today you will be covered but it only runs for 12 months so for your cruise in april 2015 you will have to buy something else

the annual insurance is for 12 months only so you would have to start the insurance cover now just in case something happens for your june cruise, you would not have cover for your april 2015 cruise

depends on the conditions of the policy but if you were on a domestic trip 200kms from home you could be covered also in the 12 month period

So a single trip policy also works this way? A single trip insurance only runs for the duration of the trip! If something occurred before the trip began to prevent travel how can you claim for unforeseen cancellations?

I am pretty confused on this, I have always purchased insurance but never needed to claim.

I can actually purchase my annual policy to start on any day from today to 23rd of April. If I purchase it to start April 23rd and between now and April 23rd if something drastic happens and I cannot go I cannot claim for lost travel that would be within the policy period?

if you take out an annual policy today you will be covered but it only runs for 12 months so for your cruise in april 2015 you will have to buy something else

The insurance company allows me to nominate my annual policy start date from Today or any day through April 23rd, so I can start my policy April 22 but purchase it now.

Also if you pre purchase a policy for travel in the near future As most do) and you get sick before the trip it is not classed as a pre existing because you didnt have a pre existing when you purchased the policy:)

The insurance company allows me to nominate my annual policy start date from Today or any day through April 23rd, so I can start my policy April 22 but purchase it now.

We also use TID. My understanding is that you can nominate the 'start date', but if something covered under your policy happens between now and then that prevents your travel, you can claim. I suggest you phone TID and clarify this point.

didnt you say you have made final payment and if so why dont you start your policy now and if you get sick and cant cruise you are covered

We also use TID. My understanding is that you can nominate the 'start date', but if something covered under your policy happens between now and then that prevents your travel, you can claim. I suggest you phone TID and clarify this point.

This was what I was thinking because the policy only covers costs for the policy period.

If I had an accident now that still prevented me from travelling in May and the policy was already paid for then I am covered for not being able to travel in May same as a single trip policy I buy now once I have paid up a trip.

I know I cant claim anything before the policy starts but my travel arrangements are all within the policy period.

didnt you say you have made final payment and if so why dont you start your policy now and if you get sick and cant cruise you are covered

Because I dont intend to travel anywhere until May 30th.

When you pay in full for a cruise do you buy a policy that starts the day you make final payment or the day you start your travels?

Most travel insurances are purchased before the travel dates to cover travel dates only for unforeseen problems preventing you travelling on or during your travel dates.

If I start my annual policy 23rd April and pay for the policy today it will also cover my April 2015 cruise:)

If I pay for it today and it starts today it will run out just before my April 2015 cruise:(

When you pay in full for a cruise do you buy a policy that starts the day you make final payment or the day you start your travels?

Most travel insurances are purchased before the travel dates to cover travel dates only for unforeseen problems preventing you travelling on or during your travel dates.

If I start my annual policy 23rd April and pay for the policy today it will also cover my April 2015 cruise:)

If I pay for it today and it starts today it will run out just before my April 2015 cruise:(

if you start your policy 23rd april it will run out on the 22nd april 2015 so if your april 2015 cruise finishes before the 22nd april you'll be fine

if you start your policy 23rd april it will run out on the 22nd april 2015 so if your april 2015 cruise finishes before the 22nd april you'll be fine

Yes but I have never purchased a yearly before and am a bit confused as I cannot find the T&C,s:) lol

If I buy a single trip worldwide for my dates it is $320 (family) If I buy an annual policy its only $440 (Family)

I travel more than once a year so i will possibly start to buy the annual policy every year anyway:)

I THINK your reasoning is correct, but it would be best to check with TID.

tid:)

Here ya go:

http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/pds

It turns out it's a bit of a compromise between the guesses above.

Cover does start from when you buy it for cancellation cover, as with other policies. BUT you can only buy 30 days before the start of your first trip. e.g. if you buy it earlier they wouldn't cover you if something happened e.g. 45 days out as you weren't compliant/covered.

See this note:"This policy must be purchased within 30 days

before the start of your period of insurance."

So, in terms of your dates, sort of good news that you can have the one policy to cover the three cruises IF you are willing to only buy in May and wear the risk until then.

Here ya go:

http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/pds

It turns out it's a bit of a compromise between the guesses above.

Cover does start from when you buy it for cancellation cover, as with other policies. BUT you can only buy 30 days before the start of your first trip. e.g. if you buy it earlier they wouldn't cover you if something happened e.g. 45 days out as you weren't compliant/covered.

See this note:"This policy must be purchased within 30 days

before the start of your period of insurance."

So, in terms of your dates, sort of good news that you can have the one policy to cover the three cruises IF you are willing to only buy in May and wear the risk until then.

Always pays to read all the fine print.

There are a lot of policies out there with many variations on coverage. Our policy does not have a pre-existing condition exemption. I started it on the first of a month because it would be easier to remember. It covers trips up to 45 days. We take several cruises a year(5 this year) plus travel by car to see our children so it is a much better deal for us than shorter term policies. When I researched this type of insurance, I found that many insurance companies offer travel insurance. You may want to check with a company you already deal with for other insurance. Found these policies vary country to country and sometimes within a country, for example by state in the US and by Provence in Canada.

Edited by lakelorain

We buy a normal policy at booking time and a month before the cruise we cancel it and buy a 12 month policy. It's a good option if you'd like to cover 2 or more cruises. Pre-existing is easily arranged (with an added premium of course) over the phone with a few questions. We buy both Suresave policies via our TA as she gets a discount. All the best with this.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

We buy a normal policy at booking time and a month before the cruise we cancel it and buy a 12 month policy. It's a good option if you'd like to cover 2 or more cruises. Pre-existing is easily arranged (with an added premium of course) over the phone with a few questions. We buy both Suresave policies via our TA as she gets a discount. All the best with this.

Can you please explain.

Do you buy a normal policy at booking time to cover you in case you need to cancel prior to the 30 days prior to your cruise, when you would be able to buy an annual policy?