Switching rooms once on the ship

We switched people around in rooms last summer on the fascination. People involved in the switch went up to the desk and they switched the room access. sign and sail accounts remained with the original ones booked in the room though.

It's easy to switch rooms with someone else in your party. I'm not sure you will have much success asking the strangers in the next cabin to switch. I suppose it never hurts to ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Nope, and honestly, I would most likely be a little ticked if I was asked. I take time to make sure I book the room I want and book early enough to get that room.

I wouldn't switch b/c someone booked last minute and just wanted to change.

It's easy to switch rooms with someone else in your party. I'm not sure you will have much success asking the strangers in the next cabin to switch. I suppose it never hurts to ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

True, but that would feel rather weird walking up and down the hallway asking strangers to switch to a different cabin, different deck.

Hi there, we had a family knock on our cabin door on a cruise on board the Disney Fantasy literally right after we walked in our cabin for the very first time. They had booked 2 cabins one on either side of our cabin. Apparently the cabin we were assigned wasn't available when they booked. We had booked a gty so didn't selected our room specifically. Well the cabin we were assigned happened to connect to one of their rooms so they asked if we would be willing to swap. I could honestly see no reason not to swap. The cabins were all identical and we hadn't unpacked or even gotten our luggage yet so it was no big deal to us. I was happy to help, we all simply went to guest services explained the situation and they were happy to make the change. I will say that guest services did seem amazed that we were willing to do that for complete strangers but I really felt like it was a total non issue to be asked. I guess I may have felt differently if we had actually chosen that cabin. But you never know unless you ask :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

For the majority of our cruises I would not have cared if someone asked, and in fact as long as we'd not already unpacked, I'd gladly have switched.

There are 2 cruises in particular where we chose specific rooms so would not have traded. However, wouldn't have been offended if someone had asked nicely.

If you do end up trading with someone, it would be nice if you then had something, such as chocolate covered strawberries, sent to their cabin. ;)

I hadn't considered the option of asking another guest to switch, I honestly thought the OP was talking about switching to an available room. I know they do that at check in. I wouldn't mind switching with someone like the Disney problem listed above as long as it didn't really impact our experience. There are so many factors that impact why a person chooses a particular room finding someone who would swap would probably be a slim hope...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Never heard of such, lol. Definitely switched people in our party with other rooms we've booked but never been assigned a cabin and then gotten on board and traded it for another room.

I've never even heard of being able to upgrade or switch rooms upon checkin, as we've always been told that the ship sails full.

Has anyone ever asked another cabin to switch with them like switching seats on the plane? Can this be done? SIL may not book until last minute and the odds of her getting a room next to us or near us are slim to none.

You could also run into people like my wife. She specifically likes to sail on the starboard side of the ship and a door that faces the main elevators. The reason being is she likes to show off our door decorations and she wants the most amount of exposure. DW would be very picky about switching rooms.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree if we hadn't unpacked and someone asked and rooms were about the same we would trade.

When we travel with friends I always book a room in between ours and theirs just for more "privacy". So if it put us right next door to our friends then no I wouldn't.

Have them book one category UP. Ie if you have an oceanview, book a balcony or better oceanview. It'll give incentive. If someone offered to swap an oceanview for my interior, I'd jump at it. Free upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I would have no problem at all to SwAp my cabin to help someone out for that purpose...not just bcuz they dont like their location!! :) good luck!! Happi CrUsInG

(funni bcuz until this post, never crossed my mind to sWaP)haha

Edited by got2shop

• 4 years later...

I was hoping that switching rooms with someone would be easy. We are cruising in May with our friends, they are totally new to cruising. I got them in a corner aft. We sailed an aft on princess and I will always go for them. But... Royal wouldn’t let us book the corner aft on the other side because it’s for 3 guest. Our friends have a toddler.... they are soooo lucky getting that huge patio with the beautiful view! Royal said they’d open the rooms for two the closer we get to sailing but now there’s no corners left and probably by then, no afts at all.

i’m secretly hoping that Our friends hate the room and offers to switch rooms with us!

we got a mid deck, mid hump room, which I hear is great, plus convenient to the elevators/stairs.

but man, I love, love love the aft rooms. Convenience is nothing compared to that solitude and view you get with the aft.

On 3/25/2014 at 11:17 AM, pbsteve said:

Have them book one category UP. Ie if you have an oceanview, book a balcony or better oceanview. It'll give incentive. If someone offered to swap an oceanview for my interior, I'd jump at it. Free upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This is what I was going to recommend. If you really want to be together, book then a category higher.  I would definitely switch if someone was wanting to trade my oceanview for a balcony!