Monte Carlo departure 10pm?

Hello,

I'm not sure where to locate this information and don't want to bother the TA right now (she's had to deal with gramps afterall!)

Our cruise departs Monte Carlo at 10pm.

Any idea what the earliest we can be on the ship is? Around lunch time?

Trying not to get too excited, need to finish my spring semester in grad school first. blech! (and lose some lbs).

Sara - Be sure to let us know how your trip goes along the way. I'd like to "follow along" with you and "Gramps". As I recall, this will be your first cruise on Regent. I would like to hear your impressions - "The good, the bad, and the ugly". I also travel with my Dad on Regent (he's 96) an he has a wonderful time - especially when the bartender hands him that first "single malt" after we arrive onboard!

Just some simple precautions I might suggest. The ships are big and all the passageways and stateroom doors look the same. Don't assume that he can "find his way back" to the right room by himself from anywhere he might be alone on the ship.

Make use of the elevators as much as possible. If you have to use stairs (and on the gangways) stay right in front of him while going DOWN stairs. And make sure both of you have a hand on the handrail. When going UP stairs, make sure you're right behind him. In both scenarios, the object is for you to cushion/block/prevent him from falling. You will be the "pillow" in case he accidentally trips or stumbles. :o

Make sure he doesn't stand up too quickly after sitting at meals, in lounges, or coming out of arm chairs or patio lounges. It is easy for older folks to feel a little dizzy after sitting a while. particularly after a meal or a drink.

Make sure he always has his room card/ID pass with him. He could very easily forget what stateroom he is staying in. Be careful when he's climbing onto or off of tour buses. Be close by to help him. Hold his hand when crossing streets in cities and in busy intersections.

I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing ;), but I've learned these things from my own experience with my Dad, and I don't know if you've had much/any experience in traveling with "more seasoned folks". You don't want your trip to be ruined by an "emergency trip" to a hospital.

Two final cautions in that regard - Take frequent rest breaks when walking around - just to allow him to rest the legs and catch his breath. Secondly, when older folks (in particular) travel, it can "throw off" their normal "restroom cycles schedule". Strange (and richer) foods, drinks, meal times, and walking more than they normally are used to, can cause unexpected short-fused "emergencies". As Jack Nicholson said in "The Bucket List", "Never take a bathroom for granted".

I'm sure you both will have a wonderful time. Keep us posted. Regards.

Ping Pong! I appreciate the tips! I will do my best to review and such the trip - as I love taking pics and reviewing trips/restaurants/etc (I'm a big yelper! (yelp.com) I'm hoping to do a guest post on my friend's travel/finance blog so I'll be sure to put a link in my signature once its posted later this summer :D

While I have not traveled with my grandfather, I do know he will need my arm in Europe when walking up steps and such. I do the same with my mother in law currently on a regular basis because steps are hard for her.

We plan to take wheelchair service throughout the airports while traveling to alleviate any walking. and we definitely plan to utilize the elevators always!

He doesn't have the vertigo issues - my dad does however, but he knows how to manage.

Right now all of our excursions are the 4 hour ones, except for one in France which is 8 hours and I'm reconsidering that one. its also a possibility if gramps feels too tired that he may send me on my own to an excursion. We think the 4hour ones will be perfect, that way when they end, we can grab lunch in port or on ship and then he can take an afternoon nap! I do wish all the 4hour excursions didn't start at 8:30am - that is terribly annoying. It would be nice to sleep in and not have to rush to an excursion. We will probably have to do room service breakfast because gramps takes a while with his routine of getting ready and such ;)

I was trying to decide what sort of bag to bring to carry my camera, and I definitely will take my cross body bag to keep my hands free so I can help him. He is a slooooooooow walker so we will have to deal with that as it comes.

I'm bringing a magnetic dry erase board for our door to help with communication on ship. (I wish I had done that with my friends on our last Carnival cruise last year!)

He keeps saying he will go to the gym and walk prior to June - but I am not sure if he has followed through. I'm also not sure if he has lost some weight either...hmmmm all things that would speed him up, but it is what it is.

As for the tummy/potty issues - those are NORMAL for BOTH of US on a REGULAR day. So yes traveling will exacerbate things for him. He was worried to my mom that I might spend forever in bathroom getting ready - she assured him that I am rarely in it, and I can do makeup and such out in the bedroom. My showers are quick.

I would suggest a lanyard to attach to the room key for easy access. The cabin walls most likely are metal and a magnet or two can help with posting the daily schedule/misc. notes. == Bon Voyage!

ps I also appreciate the tips posted by other cruisers. Mom may be wanting to travel abroad later this year or next: she is an alert but not spry 89 yo.

You will be able to board at noon and have lunch even though your suite won't be ready till later, usually around 2:00. We will be disembarking that day.

I highly recommend against any tours longer than 4 hrs given your grandpa's age. I get tired on them! 4 hrs is about right, and will give you an opportunity to either explore around the port on your own a bit or enjoy the ship on a very port intensive cruise.

Thanks for the tips everybody. The lanyard is a great idea - maybe the service desk aboard RSSC will have them (I know Carnival did). He's usually pretty good about keeping his wallet and such on his person.

I am definitely going to change the 8hour tour in France to a 4hour tour and I re-looked at some of the ones we chose and will go over them with him again to be sure he thinks he can do it.

Also - I'm not above just saying eff it to one of the port days and staying on board the ship if he's tired. I'll likely be tired too :D

I have his key on a lanyard at my house - so we can use that. I'm sure he has plenty of other lanyards laying around from various doc and other business offices LOL i'm willing to bet. maybe even his hobby flying group.

Regent will definitely NOT have a lanyard. And I don't know how you would attach your room key card to one even if you had one.

And Sara, I hate to say this, because you sound like a really sweet person, but there is no similarity between regent and carnival at all except for the fact that their ships both float on water. This is a totally different experience.

Lanyard is least of my cares at this point. Somebody has one floating around and a hole is easily made in those cards - ppl do it all the time on cruises, at offices and at universities ;) managing resources to your advantage

The only thing I have to compare to is carnival and I keep mentioning it bc it's the one that is fresh in my mind from last year. Yes I know. It doesn't compare. Luckily mom just booked us a family cruise for January on celebrity, cc class so I will have a broad range to compare to once that happens ;)

Tho I'm convinced regent will ruin me. Ah well. What can u do ;)

One thing I would not do in your place - don't bring the "dry erase board". No one puts things on their doors on Regent and for a very good reason! There is a large clip sort of thing on every door which staff use to put invitations, reminders etc into for the room occupants. Instead use that to put notes as to where you are or what time to meet etc. It is very handy!

Sailing out of Monaco after dark is magical! Be sure to be on deck if you can.

Your grandfather will most likely become the cruise mascot! have a great time.

Edited by Hambagahle

Thanks for the tip! Removed the dry erase board from my "packing pile" :D I've save it for the Celebrity cruise I'm going on in Jan with my parents and husband instead - probably will be useful there too!

Lightens the load a bit for Regent trip!

Thanks for the tip about Monocao - I was hoping to get some nighttime photos - we depart at 10pm so I'm sure I can sneak up on deck to watch as we leave.