Packing for Riviera transAtlantic April 7th

sailorgirl

We have always transited the Atlantic on a more southerly route and now I'm beginning to think that it might be a whole new ballgame on this crossing. As in chilly. I'm even wondering if I'll be swimming my way across the ocean (in the pool!) like other cruises. Are others packing with long sleeves and jackets etc.? Anyone have some experience with this route and this time of year?

We have always transited the Atlantic on a more southerly route and now I'm beginning to think that it might be a whole new ballgame on this crossing. As in chilly. I'm even wondering if I'll be swimming my way across the ocean (in the pool!) like other cruises. Are others packing with long sleeves and jackets etc.? Anyone have some experience with this route and this time of year?

Layer,Layer,Layer

Jancruz1

DH and I have done TAs in all seasons, including going from the northern to the southern hemisphere, summer/winter. Now, that one was a real challenge. In all situations, layering is it.

Mary

I have done the southerly route in both directions, once in November and twice in the spring.

It is the southerly route that Riviera takes... and in fact we shall be on board next year for the same crossing.

From Miami (temperatures in the mid to high 20°s C - I suppose low 80°s F - you go north to Bermuda. There expect temperatures to be in the low 20°s - around 70-72°F.

From Bermuda you go directly east to madeira. Madeira and Bermuda are just about on the same line of latitude. And in Madeira the temperatures are about the same as those in Bermuda. So expect your time between the two to have temps in the low 20°s as highs.

then you go slightly north and into the Mediterranean. Daily temperatures should be a little but not much lower than Madeira/Bermuda.

The one thing you cannot predict is rain. And it can rain anytime anyplace on this crossing. Let's hope it doesn't because sitting around a pool in the sunshine with a 23°C temperature is very pleasant indeed.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. And I hope my sailing date arrives quickly! A year away...

Thanks, Hambagahle, for the crossing rundown. Our last crossing started in Puerto Rico and went down the island chain before heading across to Morocco. But this was on Celebrity and was indeed a more southerly route than we're taking. It was warm and gorgeous the entire trip. Apparently, like us, you enjoy those days at sea rather than something port intensive.