How many cruise without travel insurance

bugtyler

17 Cruises completed = NO INSURANCE.

5 cruises booked = NO INSURANCE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds very well but I sincerely hope you do not end up like the 42 year old guy who did not buy insurance because he was "healthy" who had an heart attack a week before his HAL cruise. He survived but missed his cruise and was pissed that HAL would not give him a free cruise.

this was posted on another forum some years back and I did feel badly for him but did not get his "I have been a loyal customer of HAL so they should have given me a free cruise" line.

I also have to say I did not think it was necessary until my step grandmother died while we were on an Alaskan cruise in May 2001. thankfully my family did not tell me until after we returned not wanting to ruin our trip for us. then in 2003 my hubby had a gallbladder attack and emergency surgery 5 weeks before a scheduled cruise. we made it as he was off of most of his restrictions except diet (which is hwy we may would have canceled IF we had bought insurance-that was a downer for him) by the cruise so we were able to go.

I kept thinking since what brought it on was his eating left over cheesecake after Lasagna we had for dinner had brought the attack on-what if if it not happened that night? what if I had not fixed lasagna until after the cheesecake was gone? then it surely would have happened on the cruise the way he pigs out on food on cruises, as his gallbladder was very diseased.

That was the last time we did not buy insurance. Two years ago we would have used it too if we had not switched cruises to an earlier cruise. Hubby and I had booked a Med cruise for fall 2012. Then because our teacher daughter wanted to go with us we switched to a late June cruise. Well, Labor Day weekend my 80 year old MIL became very ill and ended in the hospital for a week and then was recuperating another 2 months. She could not be left alone. we had to help care for her- (wanted to help)so yes we would have missed that cruise.

We will never go without buying insurance. The bit of money spent is WORTH the piece of mind.

Regarding the question about finding an annual Travel Med policy, we are happy with our Annual Travel Med policy issued by GeoBlue ( part of Blue Shield). This particular policy costs us $349 a year (total cost to cover both DW and moi) and gives us $250,000 of medical and $500,000 of evacuation. this policy covers the first 70 days of each and every trip we take during the policy year. It does not include and cancellation coverage.

Just about anyone can buy this policy online. There are some other similar annual policies such as one offered by AMEX to their card holders.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the info.

I'm 28 and have now completed 16 cruises and never once bought any trip insurance and honestly don't plan to ever buy it.

I figure life happens and that's what savings is for, but who knows maybe I'm doing it wrong...

I am also 28 and have been buying travel insurance since I was 19, I do have a free European Health insurance card but I buy extra too as it covers basics and only the EU countries. I always travel out of the UK (Europe,Africa and Asia) so travel insurance is a must.

I am about to embark on my most expensive trip yet to America and a Panama Canal cruise which cost £4000+ ($6000+) so the £100 ($69) for insurance is a small price in comparison.

Edited by Velvetwater

Looking on line at insurance options for medical and emergency evacuation, it seems medical insurance for folks 80+ is very limited, $10,000i. My DH is in excellent health at 82, so want insurance just in case -- wonder if I am missing something, anyone in there 80s find more adequate health insurance policies?

I can't believe anyone would go on a holiday without travel insurance. If you had to be air-lifted off a ship, have heart surgery etc the cost of this would just be so expensive. For paying out a few pounds I would far rather have

Peace of mind and our travel insurance has been used a couple of times when holidays had to be cancelled when close family members died unexpectedly just before we were due to go on hols. I would never travel without it.

Regarding the question about finding an annual Travel Med policy, we are happy with our Annual Travel Med policy issued by GeoBlue ( part of Blue Shield). This particular policy costs us $349 a year (total cost to cover both DW and moi) and gives us $250,000 of medical and $500,000 of evacuation. this policy covers the first 70 days of each and every trip we take during the policy year. It does not include and cancellation coverage.

Just about anyone can buy this policy online. There are some other similar annual policies such as one offered by AMEX to their card holders.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I entered info for us, it said Not available in Maryland. Don't know why.

When I entered info for us, it said Not available in Maryland. Don't know why.

Interesting. You live in a state that has a government with a long history or meddling (some call it being progressive) so not totally surprised. We would assume it is because the policy is not registered/approved by your insurance commission. If you have an AMEX card their policy is quite similar (in price and benefits although the covered period (per trip) used to be a few days less then offered by Geo Blue.

Another option (according the Squarmouth.com) is a policy issued by "April" which is not quite as cheap as GeoBlue, but is still a pretty good deal.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Looking on line at insurance options for medical and emergency evacuation, it seems medical insurance for folks 80+ is very limited, $10,000i. My DH is in excellent health at 82, so want insurance just in case -- wonder if I am missing something, anyone in there 80s find more adequate health insurance policies?

GeoBlue offers annual policies with a $50,000 per person limit for those 80+.

Hank

Interesting. You live in a state that has a government with a long history or meddling (some call it being progressive) so not totally surprised. We would assume it is because the policy is not registered/approved by your insurance commission. If you have an AMEX card their policy is quite similar (in price and benefits although the covered period (per trip) used to be a few days less then offered by Geo Blue.

Another option (according the Squarmouth.com) is a policy issued by "April" which is not quite as cheap as GeoBlue, but is still a pretty good deal.

Hank

Thanks for the info.

I can't believe anyone would go on a holiday without travel insurance. If you had to be air-lifted off a ship, have heart surgery etc the cost of this would just be so expensive. For paying out a few pounds I would far rather have

Peace of mind and our travel insurance has been used a couple of times when holidays had to be cancelled when close family members died unexpectedly just before we were due to go on hols. I would never travel without it.

I agree the cost is relatively low compared to what we paid for the cruise. It is less than the cost of doing 1 excursion in 1 port, and I am 60 so I pay a good bit more than someone that is 40. Heck, many people's bar bill for 1 day on ship costs more than my Travelguard does. We pay like $75 or $80 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise in a balcony room. Even Europe with air and 12 day cruise was only $150. I would rather just do a shopping day near the ship and skip an excursion in one port, or cut down on my bar bill if that is the only way I can afford the insurance. Or even one less dinner out BEFORE we go on vacation would pay for it. I need that piece of mind. I guess it depends on what people consider their priorities.

When we were younger I think we were clueless, never gave it a thought. Fortunately we were very lucky.

Over time, parents becoming elderly and ill, hearing and reading of others misfortunes made us wake up.

We always get travel insurance!

Another thread on this board "Getting last minute refund" is about the Fox News report blasting NCL for not having a heart for a family with a child just diagnosed with cancer. Experienced CC respondents to the thread overwhelmingly support the cruise line since the family opted not to purchase insurance.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/27/cruise-line-refuses-to-re-book-family-vacation-after-5-year-old-diagnosed-with/

When we cruise we are entering into a contract with a for-profit organization.

You choose how to spend your money, but if an unexpected event happens, don't blame the cruise line.

What is insurance if not covering the odds.

Life is a gamble.