P&O Tours to Rome

Yeti72

Thinking of booking one of the Med cruises next that includes Rome. With the distance between the port and the city, and two children in tow I think this is the one stop that I'd book directly with P&O. Can anybody tell how much they've paid in the past for a coach tour around the main sites?

Have a look here. There may be other companies doing hop-on hop-off tours, but I'm sure this one is typical.

You probably know that there are other ways of getting up to Rome but they all involve added effort & stress, so it probably depends on your children's ages. For what it's worth, my recommendations, especially for younger children (< 12) would include 'the building with the hole in the roof' (the Pantheon); the Colosseum; Trevi Fountain - they'll enjoy the buzz; maybe the Spanish Steps (again, lots of buzz); and gellato. If they're teenagers then a walk down Via Condotti - past all the luxury shops - will go down a treat.

(And my apologies if you know all this already....)

Have you used them ? I would be interested in any feedback.

We used them last year in Iceland. The identical tour to the ships tour was half price. It was run by the same tour company. I would recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We used Romeinlimo and they were fantastic. It was the highlight of the trip. Also, if you want to see inside the Colliseum, make sure to buy your tickets online from the official website...EU citizens get a discount.

Hi, we have done two P & O Rome excursions with our children. The 3 hour coach one and the Introduction all day one - sorry I am being vague on names but I can't remember!

The all day was good, the only thing I was disappointed with was it didn't include the Trevi Fountain, other than that we saw most of the "sights" with a nice break for lunch in the Piazza Novona. The children liked the reassurance of P & O excursions and also enjoyed the trip. I didn't plan too much the day before or after as it is a long, hot day.

Enjoy your planning!

Suzy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you have any doubt at all in your mind about taking an independant excursion go on a P&O one. You will have the absolute confidence that, if anything should go wrong, P&O will sort it out for you. Rome is a long way from Civitivechia and the ship will wait for a late excursion but only if it is a P&O one.

We went to Rome on the train, once there we did the hop on and off bus tour, we found this much more relaxing than the coach trip we did the first time we went, I don't know if this trip is available on your cruise

Personally I would never do an independent trip if there is any distance involved, I like the security of knowing the ship won't leave if it we are on an organised trip but that is only me, I know they work very well for other people

We did the P&O tour to the coliseum with our ten year old which was very good and had the unexpected benefit of being able to jump the horrendously long lines for independent access. Frankly we would never have hung around had we turned up on our own as the wait looked like a good couple of hours and you had to run the gauntlet of aggressive but very tacky photo gladiators.

I would suggest that if you want to go to the Vatican and the Sistine chapel it might be equally beneficial to go in an organised group. if you are happy to see these two attractions from the outside then I would look for a transfer only deal and do your own thing. You can then respond more flexibly to your kids preferences as you go.

Can recommend the Pantheon. Amazing building.

We did the Vatican and Sistine Chapel on our first trip, it was packed and it took about 3 hours to see everything, if it is your fist time in Rome, unless this is your main attraction, I would see the other sites, or do a tour where you have some sort of express pass.

We missed so much of Rome the first time due to the time at the Vatican, the Pantheon is not far from the Trevi Fountain but we missed it as we thought it was a long way and we didn't have time.