An Open Letter to CCL on "Kids Sail Free"

T2C

Dear CCL Beards,

You really need people who can and do use common sense when it comes to the promotions/sales CCL puts out.

The "Kids Sail Free" thing really makes me crazy. It's stated that kids, as a 3rd and 4th passenger sail free but that not even how CCL has it set up.

The price for my cruise, when I just checked it, says the price is $770 per person. Now, that, comes to $1540 for the 1st 2 people and if the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin are kids and they "Sail Free" then the price should still be $1540.

CCL however is not letting the "Kids Sail Free", they add the $770 per person for them also and the price is $3,078.00. That's not letting the "Kids Sail Free"! That's obviously charging them.

Please, see how stupid doing this is. If you are going to run a "Kids Sail Free" promotion then live up to it and let them "Sail Free". Heck, this not only looks like an out and out bold face lie, it is! Heck, just charge the 1st 2 passengers $1540 each and then actually let the 3rd and 4th passengers (Kids) "Sail Free". At least that would be being honest.

John, you got to get in the ears of the beards because this kind of bullock drives people crazy and does not help the CCL brand shine.

I agree 100 % with what you are saying but below is the carnival disclaimer. the only rate that this special applies to is the fun select rate which is the highest rate they have listed for each cruise. if you price our that rate your 3rd & 4th kids are free with exception to port fees & taxes. the rates you quote are a different rate than what is on the sale. those rates are also much cheaper. so therefore their sale is not dishonest just a little misleading.

Disclaimer

3rd/4th/5th guests are free combinable with Carnival’s Fun Select rates only. $50 per person non-refundable deposit is applicable to sailings outside of final payment due date. Final payment due date is only 30 days prior to sailing for cruises between May 1, 2014 and August 28, 2014. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Offer is for the cruise fare only and does not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $42.38 to $324.27, and are assessed on a per guest basis for all guests according to the itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom, but a minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Offer is applicable on new bookings made between March 26, 2014 and March 28, 2014 EST on select cruises that depart between May 1, 2014 and August 28, 2014.

Dear CCL Beards,

You really need people who can and do use common sense .

Lost my attention right from the start. Beginning with an insult gains you zero interest. Try again, start differently; get the readers attention; maybe then you can get your point across. Remember your audience. Composition 101.

Edited by LKYGSR

I haven't looked closely at the details, but I'd be willing to bet that it's not available on all cruises. I'm sure it's only on selected dates, so it sounds like the "Kids Sale Free" promotion isn't available on your sailing date. Not exactly what I'd call a "bold face lie", in my opinion.

The price for my cruise...

...You didn't mention if the "price for your cruise" was booked under the "Fun Select" rates. The "Kids Sail Free" is only combinable with that rate.

...You went on a long rant, that started with an insult (as another poster wrote) but didn't tell us the full story. The promotion is very clearly stated in the Disclaimer. Hopefully, you'll be back on this thread and let us know under what rate code you booked.

Sales like this one are nothing but dishonest

...Sorry, but I disagree. People, myself included, sometimes don't take the time to read the conditions and disclaimers. If Carnival is going to do a "Kids Sail Free/3rd, 4th, 5th Free" promotion and clearly state that this promotion is only good if you sail under the "Fun Select" rate, why would one consider it dishonest??

...If the promotion stated that it was good for every sailing and every rate code, then I'd agree that it was dishonest. Not the case here.

Lost my attention right from the start. Beginning with an insult gains you zero interest. Try again, start differently; get the readers attention; maybe then you can get your point across. Remember your audience. Composition 101.

You replied. They had your undivided attention. :P

...Sorry, but I disagree. People, myself included, sometimes don't take the time to read the conditions and disclaimers. If Carnival is going to do a "Kids Sail Free/3rd, 4th, 5th Free" promotion and clearly state that this promotion is only good if you sail under the "Fun Select" rate, why would one consider it dishonest??

...If the promotion stated that it was good for every sailing and every rate code, then I'd agree that it was dishonest. Not the case here.

They are being deceiving which to me is dishonest. They should say kids sail free if the first 2 guests pay 215% of the cheapest fare.

They should say kids sail free if the first 2 guests pay 215% of the cheapest fare.

...LOL. It's not that I don't see your point. It's just that the majority of us are able to book under one of the other less expensive rate codes. Seems to me that "Fun Select" is the rate code for first-time Carnival customers. For them, they can try the line and bring the 3rd/4th/5th for free.

I see it no different than rates with OBC or bar credit that Carnival comes up with from time to time.

We sailed the first Imagination cruise out of LA. We had several booking fares to choose from. The one with $60total bar credit was $80total more than the lowest chose your own cabin rate for the exact same cabin. We booked after final payment.

It looks like what they're doing on the website is showing you the average price per head in the room. They don't say that the fare for one person is actually that person's individual fare. They say that the total price for the room with that number of people equals the price shown per head.

Go back to the exact same cruise and book the exact same room with two people in it. You'll find the total price for two matches the total price for four...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Yillup

Dear CCL Beards,

You really need people who can and do use common sense when it comes to the promotions/sales CCL puts out.

The "Kids Sail Free" thing really makes me crazy. It's stated that kids, as a 3rd and 4th passenger sail free but that not even how CCL has it set up.

The price for my cruise, when I just checked it, says the price is $770 per person. Now, that, comes to $1540 for the 1st 2 people and if the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin are kids and they "Sail Free" then the price should still be $1540.

CCL however is not letting the "Kids Sail Free", they add the $770 per person for them also and the price is $3,078.00. That's not letting the "Kids Sail Free"! That's obviously charging them.

Please, see how stupid doing this is. If you are going to run a "Kids Sail Free" promotion then live up to it and let them "Sail Free". Heck, this not only looks like an out and out bold face lie, it is! Heck, just charge the 1st 2 passengers $1540 each and then actually let the 3rd and 4th passengers (Kids) "Sail Free". At least that would be being honest.

John, you got to get in the ears of the beards because this kind of bullock drives people crazy and does not help the CCL brand shine.

If its any consolation I am on your side, I dont even have any Kids! lol

Kids sail free only if you are astute enough to pay a higher price than you need to because you are astute enough to realize a marketing ploy that most looking for a bargain wouldnt;) Oxymoron:)

Sales like this one are nothing but dishonest

Um, no.

People can't be bothered to read the fine print but can spend their time coming here to rant and rave.

Every retail outlet has "sales" now and then, if not all the time! If people can't comprehend that they're just marketing ploys to get your interest and drag you in, then that's the individual's problem, not the company that is trying to sell you things.

Every time there's a "sale" on Carnival, people come here to start threads to whine about "that isn't a sale!!!!!" Like they're SO shocked to find out that they aren't able to book a cruise at a significant discount from what it was advertised the previous week.

Prices go up. Prices come down. It's simple economics and marketing. There isn't a single thing "dishonest" about it.

I disagree with your comment that it is an insult. Respectively.

I think it is a statement of "please write your sale option in plain English. State clearly, and concisely, which rate goes with the sale. And do it in less than five sentences."

To this day, after fusses and fueds, and being Platinum and buying FTTF, for my Daughter's family.............I still don't know the differences between FTTF and VIP. When we boarded together..we did not sit down anywhere, for fear of being in the wrong place. We were processed very quickly, all of us, and it was not an issue. Thankfully. AND I am not trying to get that pot stirred again...........I am only saying............that sometimes Carnival needs to be very consistent. Very short worded. And very plain in what they are selling and how much it costs. Their communication skills.............need to be more concise.

paying for my toddler grand daughter..in a cabin with her parents...decreased when I found the "more for the Merrier sale", but no one told me. I just read this board each day, and learned to check that out.

As I may book another cruise for Next March ( 2015) please. Post all known information. I paid...taxes. Gratuities. $300+ on my Toddler grandbaby. I am not complaining. But if it says free....they should be very specific about which rate is applicable.

We loved the cruise. Had a great time. worth every penny. But....

Edited by AmberTeka