Deadly peanut allergy

We have only cruised princess but would like to try oasis of the seas in feb. My 11 year old has a peanut allergy and princess was really good every night we went to the main dining room our waiter and the head waiter and manager kept coming to the table checking on him and running back to the kitchen after he put in his order to double check ingredients. I would assume it would be the same on the oasis but would like to check before we book anything. They sent us a email just before our last cruise to let us know the ship has been notified about his allergy. Anyone with food allergies and how do they treat these issues on the oasis? Thanks

I also have a serious (deadly) food allergy... and although I'm an adult I've never had to tell a waiter or head waiter more than once... they are on top of it. They will check and double check. The problem comes in at a buffet (which I stay away from) -- but if you like the buffet find the manager rather then just a server to make sure they are aware of the difficulty. Make sure they take the time to walk you though the 'danger' areas and if they do not... make sure you ask to speak to the Food and Beverage Manager or Hotel Manager. But I've never had a problem... I've had dinner with the ships doctor a few times and they are well aware that allergies are serious and the staff is well trained. I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

We have only cruised princess but would like to try oasis of the seas in feb. My 11 year old has a peanut allergy and princess was really good every night we went to the main dining room our waiter and the head waiter and manager kept coming to the table checking on him and running back to the kitchen after he put in his order to double check ingredients. I would assume it would be the same on the oasis but would like to check before we book anything. They sent us a email just before our last cruise to let us know the ship has been notified about his allergy. Anyone with food allergies and how do they treat these issues on the oasis? Thanks

I know how hard it can be to travel with someone with a peanut allergy. Yesterday I had the opportunity to view the revealing of the Quantum Dining and Mr. Goldstein mentioned that his son has a peanut allergy and they are aware of the various allergies and dietary needs.

With that being said I would contact special_needs at rccl.com. Tell them about your son's peanut allergy. I would advise them and fill out the Special Needs Form no later than 60 days before your sailing which is why I suggest you book early.

There are forums that you can Google that talk about traveling with a peanut allergy.

Be sure you have a Doctor's note, extra EpiPens and an emergency course of action and Travel Insurance(that covers a pre-existing condition).

Good luck and I hope this helps.

I know how hard it can be to travel with someone with a peanut allergy. Yesterday I had the opportunity to view the revealing of the Quantum Dining and Mr. Goldstein mentioned that one sons has a severe peanut and they are aware of the various allergies and dietary needs.

With that being said I would contact special_needs at rccl.com. Tell them about your son's peanut allergy. I would advise them and fill out the Special Needs Form no later than 60 days before your sailing which is why I suggest you book early.

There are forums that you can Google that talk about traveling with a peanut allergy.

Be sure you have a Doctor's note, extra EpiPens and an emergency course of action and Travel Insurance(that covers a pre-existing condition).

Edited by travelplus

You can indicate any allergies on your RCL profile and it's a good idea to do so, so they will have a heads-up even before you board. You can, of course, also discuss any issues with the waitstaff and they will make sure you are accommodated.

In the mean time, peanut allergies are easily treated under an allergist's care, so you might just want to get that taken care of so this will not be an issue in the future. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62301-6/abstract

He has seen a allergist and we hoped he would outgrow his allergy but they say his numbers are off the charts so he will never outgrow it. He does carry a epi pen everywhere he goes but we try to take every precaution we can.

I know how hard it can be to travel with someone with a peanut allergy. Yesterday I had the opportunity to view the revealing of the Quantum Dining and Mr. Goldstein mentioned that his son has a peanut allergy and they are aware of the various allergies and dietary needs.

Great advice!! If he plans to go to the Adventure Ocean, make sure you tell the counselors there too.

I can't have hard nuts because I have diverticulitis. On a recent trip to the Promenade Cafe I asked one of the crew members if a cookie contained nuts. He asked me if I couldn't have nuts and when I replied "yes" he told me he wouldn't give me any cookies, even without nuts, because all cookies was baked in the same pans.

This is something you might want to consider when picking up cook is in the buffet.

Even though we know the pans are washed thoroughly at night I'm wondering if they are washed in between bakings.

I have two children with mild peanut allergies but severe tree nut allergies. We are sailing on Allure this year but our experience on Freedom was excellent. I had emailed rci regarding this allergy and was informed that the main dining room was the best place to eat due to cross contamination in other venues. We saw the head waiter each night who brought out special breads and food for them that was prepared they said in a different area of the kitchen. We had epipens and benadryl with us but never had a reason to use them. I checked with everyone before the kids ate anything. Again we felt they really took great care with our children on board. I hope our experience on board Allure will be just as attentive. Good luck planning your trip but if you are extremely diligent as i am at home then you will surely take the best precautions and follow the. Great advice from previous posters. Have a great trip!

Barb

Plunker, I have no idea how to private message you. I had a very very big problem on the Oasis last year with my 12 year old son. They are not that helpful. They were rude to me when I kept asking for the answers I was promised when I booked this cruise. People do not understand what a severe peanut allergy means. You have to be so careful with your child. If you can PM me or figure out how to get in touch with me, I would be willing to tell you what occurred with us. A few weeks before we went on our cruise a guest died of a peanut allergy on the Allure. Figuring we were on the Oasis and everyone was supposedly on high alert due to this we would have been treated better. I do have a review of the Oasis sailing last year in April posted on cruise critic. :eek:

And for those ignorant people who say peanut allergies don't exist. You don't know how hard it can be unless you know someone with a severe peanut allergy.

There were stories online about people getting upset on the airplane when the flight attendant instilled a buffer zone where no peanuts can be served and they asked them if they brought peanuts or other nuts and kindly asked them not to open them.

Well the people got so upset and were quite demanding and the family refused to fly and were delayed until a later flight for fear of an allergic reaction in the air.

I have worked with individuals who have food allergies and I make sure not to eat any nuts and to wash my hands with warm water and soap and to make sure I brush my teeth if I had a candy bar or other food item that contained nuts.

It almost makes me wonder if the cruiseline has a special area of the dining room for other families or individuals with nut allergies so they all know what they are going through.

I can imagine a dinner onboard when a diner wants to order the Pecan Pie. The waiter says"I'm sorry sir but one of our guests at the table has a severe peanut allergy and gets sick when he comes into contact with nuts"

The diner goes on to say" Well I paid for my cruise so I can have whatever I want now just bring me the pecan pie". Maitre D' Comes by and says "I'm very sorry sir but we cannot bring you a pecan pie at this moment but perhaps we could box it up for you to take with you to the theater". Diner says" No you better bring me that pecan pie whether that person is here or not".

My point is people can become so defensive when the allergy has nothing to do with them and they think peanut allergies are just a made up allergy. This is not the case its just like someone having an allergy to shellfish or a medical condition etc.

I wish people would just understand that they cannot have that piece of pecan pie but they can wait and get it later.

If were at the table with your son and you and you said he has a nut allergy I would do everything in my power to ensure he doesn't come in contact with nuts and if I wanted something with nuts I would see if I could get reseated or just not order it.

Just my 2 cents.

We were on the Allure last week. I have a severe allergy to shrimp but it has to be eaten Unlike the nut allergies that I am familiar with from working in a school. Anyway. I had noted the allergy when making specialty dining reservations. When I ordered crab cake in Giovanni's the waiter quietly said that he would ask that I order something else as the crab comes from somewhere else and he couldn't promise that it had not come in contact with shrimp. I thought that was very kind of him as well as observant as it was noted on my reservation

I can imagine a dinner onboard when a diner wants to order the Pecan Pie. The waiter says"I'm sorry sir but one of our guests at the table has a severe peanut allergy and gets sick when he comes into contact with nuts"

The diner goes on to say" Well I paid for my cruise so I can have whatever I want now just bring me the pecan pie". Maitre D' Comes by and says "I'm very sorry sir but we cannot bring you a pecan pie at this moment but perhaps we could box it up for you to take with you to the theater". Diner says" No you better bring me that pecan pie whether that person is here or not".

My point is people can become so defensive when the allergy has nothing to do with them and they think peanut allergies are just a made up allergy. This is not the case its just like someone having an allergy to shellfish or a medical condition etc.

Some people maythink it's made up, but that's only because people these days seem to claim allergies if they just don't like something. Some people have genuine, life threatening allergies. Other people just don't like peanuts (or seafood, or whatever).

In your scenario above, why on earth would the person with such a severe allergy force themselves on other people? Your family/friends will presumably be aware of the allergy and dance around it, but why would you expect to share a table with a bunch of strangers, and then dictate what they may or may not eat? If you have to share a table, it would be far more reasonable to say "hey guys, I'm deadly allergic to that, so if you'll excuse me, I need to remove myself from this location before the food arrives".

Honestly, I know this may sound callous and it's not meant to, I promise...but if my child's allergies were THAT life threatening, I really don't think I'd take a cruise at all. There are so many hundreds of people handling/cooking/serving food that I would be terrified the whole time that one misstep along the way would mean disaster. I don't know that I would want my child going into anaphylactic shock on board or in a 3rd world Caribbean port...and trust that they would get the attention they would need. I know it stinks to miss out on certain trips, but as a Mom, I would be a wreck worrying. Yes they should accommodate you, yes they probably will do everything in their power to honor your requests....but when it comes down to it, mistakes happen, even when they are trying their best. I just don't know that I'd have the confidence to put my child's life in the hands of hundreds of other people.

At least at a land based restaurant, they're cooking for far fewer people and when when word comes in that attention should be paid to someone, they can usually micromanage their procedures. I just don't know that they can effectively do that on a ship that cooks and serves thousands of people in a short time frame.

Good luck and hopefully other people who have cruised with allergies can give you the inside scoop on what the best procedures are to follow!

Edited by aimathy

We are traveling with a friend who has two severe allergies. Thus we opted for MTD and our own table so she won't be sitting next to someone who could order items that would be problematic. Seems like the sensible thing for anyone with these kinds of issues to go. We wouldn't expect a table mate to refrain from ordering something to accommodate her allergies. We are happy to do so though.

Some people maythink it's made up, but that's only because people these days seem to claim allergies if they just don't like something. Some people have genuine, life threatening allergies. Other people just don't like peanuts (or seafood, or whatever).

In your scenario above, why on earth would the person with such a severe allergy force themselves on other people? Your family/friends will presumably be aware of the allergy and dance around it, but why would you expect to share a table with a bunch of strangers, and then dictate what they may or may not eat? If you have to share a table, it would be far more reasonable to say "hey guys, I'm deadly allergic to that, so if you'll excuse me, I need to remove myself from this location before the food arrives".

I wanted to say that I'm disconcerned by your response. Let's just say someone brings their Autistic child onboard and wants to eat in the Main Dining Room. They have the same right to be there as others without Autism.

The individual with the nut allergy is not forcing themselves on other people just like people who keep Kosher. I think you need to take a moment and think if this were your son or daughter wouldn't you like to dine with other people and meet new people if you did not request your own table?

I'm really sure parents of these children would like to have as normal of a dining experience as possible. If someone said they are deadly allergic to peanuts I would be kind and do my best not to eat nuts of any kind and be understanding.

There are laws about not discriminating against someone with a peanut allergy. The person with the peanut allergy is not imposing on their fellow diners because they were seated at that table in the first place. If there was a case of being seated at a wrong table the family would be dealing with this with the Maitre D.

My point is if you keep Kosher you are not imposing yourself on others.

I think you are not getting the gist of the post that I made in which you replied to.

Perhaps your the one who should not be eating your meal in the Main Dining Room. People come from all cultures and have various medical conditions. Perhaps I'm not understanding your reply and I apologize in advance but my point is we need to accept people and try our best to help them and would want the same if we have a medical condition or other special-need.

Not to bash you. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by travelplus

I'm thoroughly confused by what you're trying to say (and this has gone very far off the original question from the OP). I'm going to take it paragraph by paragraph to see if we're saying the same thing.

I wanted to say that I'm disconcerned by your response. Let's just say someone brings their Autistic child onboard and wants to eat in the Main Dining Room. They have the same right to be there as others without Autism.

Absolutely. As do allergy sufferers, and those with religious constraints. Everyone on the ship has the right to eat in the main dining room.

The individual with the nut allergy is not forcing themselves on other people just like people who keep Kosher. I think you need to take a moment and think if this were your son or daughter wouldn't you like to dine with other people and meet new people if you did not request your own table?

As a parent I might like to meet new people and dine with others. However I can't insist that other people dine with me. If someone doesn't want to dine with children, I can't force them to dine with my children, even though we all have the same right to be in the dining room.

I'm really sure parents of these children would like to have as normal of a dining experience as possible. If someone said they are deadly allergic to peanuts I would be kind and do my best not to eat nuts of any kind and be understanding.

There are laws about not discriminating against someone with a peanut allergy. The person with the peanut allergy is not imposing on their fellow diners because they were seated at that table in the first place. If there was a case of being seated at a wrong table the family would be dealing with this with the Maitre D.

I don't know where those laws are (American?), but they are not universal, or even global. In other countries, for example, discrimination is outlawed in the provision of employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services. On that basis the cruise line could not discriminate against an allergy sufferer, but there is no law against other diners not wanting to cater to the allergy/religious requirements. Perhaps American laws are different.

My point is if you keep Kosher you are not imposing yourself on others.

True. If I am keeping Kosher, and am sharing a dining table with strangers, then my menu choices don't impact anyone else. What if I request that no-one else at the table eat shellfish or pork? What if I start demanding that no-one else at the table eat those things?

I think you are not getting the gist of the post that I made in which you replied to.

I'm not really getting the gist of this one either.

Perhaps your the one who should not be eating your meal in the Main Dining Room. People come from all cultures and have various medical conditions. Perhaps I'm not understanding your reply and I apologize in advance but my point is we need to accept people and try our best to help them and would want the same if we have a medical condition or other special-need.

Not to bash you. Just my 2 cents.

Accepting other people and helping them is a good thing. Leave the lifts/elevators free for people who need them. Hold doors open for others. Offer your seat to people who may need it more than you. Allowing strangers to dictate your menu choices isn't reasonable accommodation.

Share a table with strangers by all means. Explain that someone has a peanut allergy. But don't expect/demand the strangers rearrange themselves around you/your child, though they may decide to do so.

I recall being sat on on a flight from Heathrow to JFK some years ago when the flight attendant came round to warn of a nearby fellow passenger with a peanut allergy. My wife gave me one of her withering looks as she had just watched me wolf down two Snicker bars….:eek:. I sat feeling guilty that i might have just caused mayhem from recirculated Snicker particles in the planes air conditioning system.

We have been fortunate to do many cruises on several different lines. Our granddaughter has a peanut allergy, and we would like to take her on a cruise in the next few years. EVERY time we cruise, I seek out the food manager and ask what they do on board with a peanut allergic passenger. I do think that a small child would rather not sit in the dining room for all 3 meals. There seem to be many items on the buffet (fruit, packaged cereals, eggs,etc) that an allergic person could consume, but the worry is cross contamination. I do notice that on Princess, there are open tubs of peanut butter on the morning buffet, whereas on RCCL, there are pre-packaged small containers of the same item. Nothing in life is 100% safe, but we can try our best to eliminate risk.

Royal is fantastic about accommodating people with allergies.

My husband has an allergy to shellfish. I don't mean he "doesn't like it." I mean he can swell up and go into anaphylactic shock. The only time we had any problems was in the Windjammer where there were some noodles that had all (we thought) the allergens listed on it and he took a bite and there was some kind of shrimp in it. He immediately spit it out and took a Benadryl and we spoke to the management about it. He was fine. The next cruise the noodles were marked as having shellfish in them. Yes, we took a risk and should have asked specifically, but in my opinion they were very responsive.

He also has an allergy to cocoa/chocolate that will give him migraines with stroke like symptoms. There is a lot of "hidden" cocoa in items and RCI was very careful with everything. If they weren't sure, we didn't eat it.

The head waiter greeted us every night and interacted with the waiter to ensure we had what we wanted and that it was safe.

We could not be more pleased with our interactions.

We were on Jewel last January and a man at our table in the MDR had peanut allergies. He had notified RCL ahead of time, and each night he was brought the menu for the next night's meal and the "safe" items were pointed out to him. He would select what he was going to want and then the staff made sure his meal did not come into contact with "contaminated" food during preparation. He didn't have an allergic episode while onboard so it must've worked.

And the rest of us enjoyed looking at the next evening's menu to get an idea of how excited we should be...... :)

Anyway, make sure you let RCL know before sailing and they should take care of it. They don't want passengers going into shock on their cruises.

We sailed on Oasis in February, and the dining staff - especially the headwaiter for our section in the MDR (Glenn) was extremely solicitous and helpful about my son's mild lactose intolerance. They bent over backwards, making him special desserts and entrees lactose free, although he doesn't follow a strict lactose-free diet at home. He was told that they take allergies and intolerances very seriously - especially so since someone with a severe nut allergy died after eating something in the Windjammer that contained nuts. Didn't get all the details, but it seemed he had not been as careful as he should have been, and he died of anaphylactic shock. There are signs up in the Windjammer about things that contain nuts, etc., but I've heard of people who can't even eat something that may have been in close proximity to their particular allergen, and that would be very scary.

Edited by TequilaToo