MUST HAVE foods on NCL

vent1020

We were off the Jewel out of Houston a week ago. The new chocolate Volcano molten cake is quite good. In O'Sheehan's, we enjoyed the chicken pot pie and the prime rib night was surprisingly good. We usually avoid the buffet, but found ourselves eating there a few times more than previously. There were some special buffet nights (Caribbean night and Halloween night which were enjoyable. The lamb in Le Bistro is excellent as is the creme brule. I'd say the Italian specialty restaurant was a bit disappointing but nothing terrible.

O'Sheehan's Chicken Pot Pie. Yum!

Also, on my last cruise, there was a Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Raspberry Sauce in the main dining room one day at lunch. Oh man. It was amazing. I wish I'd been able to have it every day of the cruise!

I'm usually not a big fan of raspberry.. but the waiter saw that I was eating the panna cotta without the sauce and he said I should try it with the sauce. So glad I listened!

Dessert crepes with banana or apple filling, and chocolate sauce over, with side of scooped ice cream. Makes a big dessert !

We both finished ours it was that good, but we said in the future we would order one and split it.

I'm gonna add, Everything they make. Because when they do the cooking------I don't have to.

Don't have to clean up & do dishes either.

This. :) And the fact that we try to keep a close handle on what we eat while we're at home, so everything that we eat on vacation is doubly delicious. With all the walking I don't gain as much as I probably should either.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to copy and paste this into word, this is pretty much the list of everyone's suggestions:

Must have foods

The mushroom soup in Le Bistro. Scrumptious!

Pretzel buns!(I saw this mentioned a bunch of times.)

Yes escargot !!!(This too)

The waffles are amazing. Buttery and crispy. I also really liked the Hawaiian burger in the buffet for lunch. Ate one every day.

creme brûlée and rack of lamb(At Le Bistro)

Chocolate croissants(This too was mentioned over and over again. I want to try them)

Chicken Pot Pie at Blue Lagoon

Herring! It's not an NCL cruise without pickeled herring on the breakfast buffet.

My wife loves the Potato soup served at Cagney's. I concure, it is really good.

My husband loves the portabello mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese and pine nuts. It's an appetizer served at lunch in the MDR but my husband sometimes orders two as his entrée. My favorites are the mushroom quesadilla appetizer, the filet and the crème brulee at LeBistro and the lamb at Moderno's.

Chateaubriand in MDR soooooooo good

chocolate croissants, escargot, osso bucco, and the turkey dinner!

I am not a huge French toast fan, but I LOVE the French toast in the buffet! I also can't wait to get some chocolate-raspberry truffle cake in the MDR this summer. At Moderno, pretty much everything on the salad bar is fantastic, but I was almost embarrassed by the amount of grilled pineapple I kept asking for...I think I ate more of that than the meats!

I dream about the muesli at breakfast in the buffet. I have tried every brand in our supermarket and none taste as good as this. One morning on the Epic, it was made with fresh pears and I ate nothing else for breakfast but that!!!

Focaccia bread from the Italian restaurant along with the lemon ricotta cheesecake. Also, the bread pudding and of course those yummy pretzel rolls!

In addition to the delish chicken pot pie in Blue Lagoon, i love their wings and burgers, too. They serve a pretty maen breakfast there, too.

I love the lemon sorbet with that cookie/wafer-type thing in the MDR! So yummy after a filling dinner. :-) Both my husband and my dad enjoy the chocolate raspberry truffle cake in the MDR and the beef/pork slider -- burger, topped with pulled pork and cheese.

buffalo wings in Blue Lagoon, mushroom soup and escargot (if you like it) in Le Bistro; also end the meal with fondue if you have any room left for dessert. Cream of broccoli soup in the MDR, eggs benedict in the buffet, ceasar salad at the buffer, pretzel rolls at the buffet.

My favorites were: Creme Brulee in Le Bistro (best dessert I had all week) French Onion Soup in Le Bistro (I thought it was MUCH better than the MDR) Crab Cakes in the MDR (they were fabulous) Key Lime Pie in the MDR. There were so many great dishes, but these were my faves.

Don't know if you're in a suite or not but Cagney's at lunch has a banana cream pie to die for!

Half the reason we stay in a suite is so my husband can get the fruits de mer en brioche (some lobster/poached egg concoction) for breakfast in Cagneys!

If it's available to you, try the Crab Cakes Benedict at Cagney's for breakfast.

Spring rolls in the mdr for supper! So yummy!

Crepes when the crepe station is open...delish!!

This is going to sound ridiculous - but the specialty burgers they make at the BBQ and the french fries - they are heavenly to this guy.

My "must-haves" on any NCL ship are as follows:

* Rack of lamb at Le Bistro

* Filet du boeuf (tenderloin steak) at Le Bistro

* Fruit-de-mer (seafood) specialty at Le Bistro

* Warm bread pudding (dessert) at MDR - even if I have most of my dinners in a specialty restaurant

* Beef Carpaccio at La Cocina (it is a starter, but I have often had one as starter and another as main course)

* Affogato (dessert) - ice cream topped with warm espresso at La Cocina

* Fish'n Chips at Blue Lagoon

* Spring Rolls at the Asian restaurant

Everything on the menu that they cook, and I don't have to.

Food items to try out on this cruise are pretzel rolls; chicken pot pie, artichoke dip and ice cream sundae from O'sheenan; escargot from Le Bistro or MDR; almost all the appetizers, pasta and entree from La Cucina; salad bar, sides and flan from Moderno; sushi from the sushi place and noodle soup or rice dishes from the Noodle bar.

On the Sun, cheeseburger in main dining room on embark day for lunch, had a big spoonful of pulled pork on it, it was great ... and we had chocolate/peanut butter cheesecake (its only available for lunch in the main dining room) its the best, also don't forget poolside BBQ on seadays .. also breakfast in Moderno .. the (small waffles) .... Rosemary chicken in MDR as well