MUST HAVE foods on NCL

vent1020

We are signed up for a Guarantee Balcony right now. Hoping for an upgrade in the week or so before the cruise (June 14th).

Only people in suites can have lunch at Cagney's? We have the Unlimited Dining Plan.

Q. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. With the Ultimate Dining Package, you can dine in any specialty restaurant every night of your cruise, including our exciting Italian, Asian, Brazilian, French and signature steakhouse restaurants. Plus, you can enjoy 20% off the cover charge for dinner at Ocean Blue and all a la carte priced restaurants (not included in Ultimate Dining Package).

PS http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

Edited by B6ConMe

For breakfast the eggs Benedict are hit or miss so...the hashbrowns and crispy bacon are very good. I often make myself a sandwich made of a toasted bagel, salad, mayo, tomato, crispy bacon, cheese and a hard boiled egg. This is sufficient to last a few hours on an excursion and not feel the hunger.

For lunch at the buffet, I find the sandwiches made of croissants or olive bread very good and the salads like the potato salad, the tuna and green beans or the pasta salads are always very tasty.

For dessert the famous creme brulee

For late snack the pizza is surprisingly good and I have heard the 5$ pizza is well worth it....it's on my list for my next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I often make myself a sandwich made of a toasted bagel, salad, mayo, tomato, crispy bacon, cheese and a hard boiled egg. This is sufficient to last a few hours on an excursion and not feel the hunger.

I've always been under the impression that we weren't allowed to take any food off the ship when we were in ports. Has that changed?

Harriet

I've always been under the impression that we weren't allowed to take any food off the ship when we were in ports. Has that changed?

Harriet

Sounds to me like he's taking it off the ship in his stomach! No restrictions on that! ;)

Harriet

I read this differently. I thought the poster was saying that was eaten at breakfast prior to leaving the ship. Why do you think it was taken off the ship?

I read this differently. I thought the poster was saying that was eaten at breakfast prior to leaving the ship. Why do you think it was taken off the ship?

Originally Posted by sebas030

I often make myself a sandwich made of a toasted bagel, salad, mayo, tomato, crispy bacon, cheese and a hard boiled egg. This is sufficient to last a few hours on an excursion and not feel the hunger.

1st....I just woke up not long before I read this post and when I read it it sounded, to me, that it was made to be taken off the ship while on an excursion so he/she wouldn't get hungry. LOL However, after reading it again I can see how that might not have been the case.

Harriet

Originally Posted by sebas030

1st....I just woke up not long before I read this post and when I read it it sounded, to me, that it was made to be taken off the ship while on an excursion so he/she wouldn't get hungry. LOL However, after reading it again I can see how that might not have been the case.

Harriet

All I know is I skipped breakfast this morning, and that sounds delicious. :)

I'm not sure its still on the MDR menu, but there used to be an entree with potato gnocchi, mushrooms, and pumpkin that was incredible. There are also some very nice cheese rolls in the lunchtime buffet, right next to the pretzel rolls. I totally agree with the chocolate croissants; it's the best sweet onboard.

Harriet

No no...I have it ON the ship just before we leave it and we do not feel the hunger for a few hours since it is a good protein portion.

sorry about the confusion...:o

To be honest, I was really disappointed with the French Onion soup in the main dining room. It was pretty much onion broth with a piece of bread and a tiny bit of cheese. Not much better than a can of Campbell's. I figured this was because it was too time consuming to bake lots of them in the galley. A real French Onion soup comes out with cheese baked all over the top. It crusts on to the bowl.

I thought it would be better at Le Bistro, figuring it was Le Bistro, and they would do it justice, but nope. Same bowl that you can get in Main Dining Room. A bit disappointing, but oh well.

TOTALLY agree with your assessment of the onion soup in the MDR -- it was really awful. I ordered it the first night but never again. I made the same comparison to Campbell's with my dinner companions. However, I found the version in Le Bistro to be far superior. Much darker and richer, and with more onions.

No no...I have it ON the ship just before we leave it and we do not feel the hunger for a few hours since it is a good protein portion.

sorry about the confusion...:o

Yep, I finally understood that after my morning tea....when I finally 'actually' woke up! LOL

Harriet

From le bistro

*COTE DE BOEUF POUR DEUX

32 oz Premium Black Angus Rib Eye Steak for Two,

Sautéed Wild Mushrooms, Fresh Seasonal Vegetable,

Bordelaise Sauce, Béarnaise Sauce, Carved Tableside

DUO DE CANARD

Breast of Duck and Duck Confit, Parisienne Potatoes, French Beans, Madeira Sauce

CARRE D´AGNEAU ROTIS

Roast Rack of Lamb, Artichokes, Blistered Tomatoes, Zucchini,

Green Olive Sauce

CHOCOLATE FONDUE FOR TWO

Golden Pineapple, Bananas, Strawberries

VANILLA CRÈME BRULÉE

Berry Basket, Sablè Cookie

CHOCOLATE NAPOLÉON

Flourless Chocolate Cake, Hazelnut Crunch, Gianduja Cream

CLASSIC WARM APPLE TATIN

Caramelized Walnut Cream

CARAMEL, VANILLA AND LEMON PROFITEROLES

from Cagney's

Wagyu Beef Burger* – 12oz Brioche Bun | arugula sa lad | Onion Rings | Sliced Pickle

Ribeye* – 16oz

Bone-In Ribeye* – 18oz

New York Strip* – 14oz

Raspberry Crème Brulée

Florentine Crunch | Choco late Twist

Oreo Cheesecake

Balsa mic Reduction | Strawberry | Lemon zest

Decadent Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Asso rted Brittle | Caramel Sauce

Macadamia Nut Ice Cream Sandwich

Toaste d Coco nut | Spiced Apricot -Raisin Chutney

I will take one of each please. :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

For you guys that mention the pretzel rolls do the bakeries and stores in your area not have them? Or, is it just because things taste better when you are on a ship and you aren't cooking and cleaning? :D

I was kind of wondering the same thing. You can't go to a burger joint around here without getting a pretzel bun burger, and they are everywhere in the grocery and specialty food stores. I'm so sick of them that if I see one on a cruise I might lob it at the first person I see saving a lounge at the pool. No, actually I will have to eat the darn thing since I've seen so much talk about them on here. It had better be the best darn pretzel roll ever.

Our burger joints have them as burger buns. That's about it. Not a fan.

ETA:

But am willing to try the pretzel buns with butter at lunch with a Caesar salad or a cup of soup.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

For you guys that mention the pretzel rolls do the bakeries and stores in your area not have them? Or, is it just because things taste better when you are on a ship and you aren't cooking and cleaning? :D

Lol. Thank you for this. I was thinking "wow, Chicago really is special....we've had pretzel buns for years and years"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The sausage pizza in the Il Adagio. OMG. I dream about it between cruises.

The mushroom soup anywhere it is served. Fantastic.

You might think I am weird, but the Mac and Cheese is great. I make a mean version that my grandmother taught me but NCL's is much better.