MUST HAVE foods on NCL

vent1020

No one has mentioned Le Bisto's Coq Au Vin! My favorite dining room lunch is lemon chicken breast filet over arugula.

Coq Au Vin! That's the entree I almost choose every time I go to Le Bistro. I've heard it's great. I always consider getting it and then I always opt for the filet.

Coq Au Vin! That's the entree I almost choose every time I go to Le Bistro. I've heard it's great. I always consider getting it and then I always opt for the filet.

I tried it and was a bit disappointed. Never ordered it again.

Harriet

This is going to sound ridiculous - but the specialty burgers they make at the BBQ and the french fries - they are heavenly to this guy.

Also - the Cheese Sampler (formerly the International Cheese Platter) is the best desert in my mind in the world.

I agree, that is why I was so surprised a day or so ago to hear someone say, don't even eat the BBQ. It is terrible. We have always loved the burgers on that last day at sea. Of course, food is so subjective. What we didn't enjoy was the German fest of one of the cruises.

I agree, that is why I was so surprised a day or so ago to hear someone say, don't even eat the BBQ. It is terrible. We have always loved the burgers on that last day at sea. Of course, food is so subjective. What we didn't enjoy was the German fest of one of the cruises.
This illustrates perfectly the subjective nature of food reviews. We would virtually never have a burger on a ship but we LOVE the German buffet lunch. Each to their own and don't place too much credence on food reviews.

I have never had pickled herring. Do you eat it with something?

I am Scandanavian - I eat it right out of the bowl, but on crackers is nice also

Carlo's Bakery is habit forming:D

Pretzel Rolls - Yum! If you are in the Haven, you can ask your Butler to bring them instead of the little toast appetizers :eek:, also, add some butter or cheese;)

This illustrates perfectly the subjective nature of food reviews. We would virtually never have a burger on a ship but we LOVE the German buffet lunch. Each to their own and don't place too much credence on food reviews.

you are exactly right: I have been saying this forever on this thread and others. Food is so very subjective. We have a new Mexican restaurant here in town: for those of us who have lived in the so west we think it is as good as one can get this far north, but we have heard 2 complaints: 1-there wasn't enough lettuce in the taco salad and 2-the Margaritas were not very good. Oh and someone said the sauce was too hot, others have said not hot enough. This doesn't make any of us right or wrong. I do have a problem with people who claim the food was inedible: almost impossible or when they say the buffet was just like a Golden Corral, what were they expecting? A buffet is just that, a place to get a quick bite and have a lot of choices. Yes, some are better than others, some have more choices, but a buffet is still basic foods.

Edited by newmexicoNita

My favorite - a morning power breakfast in the MDR:

Smoked Salmon (Poached) Eggs Benedict on an English muffin, Hash Brown Potatoes, Croissant & sliced fresh fruit - glass of O.J. and of course, coffee w. half & half. (Corn Beef Hash added here as a side)

IMG20140325_0933.jpg

If they have them, chunks of freshly sliced pineapple - usually found in the buffet. The best ones in Hawaii on the Pride of Americas.

My favorite - a morning power breakfast in the MDR:

Smoked Salmon (Poached) Eggs Benedict on an English muffin, Hash Brown Potatoes, Croissant & sliced fresh fruit - glass of O.J. and of course, coffee w. half & half. (Corn Beef Hash added here as a side)

Another Eggs Benedict fan! I almost never have them on land so I enjoy them very much at sea.

I believe I cruise to have lox (smoked salmon) at every breakfast. However, having grown up in the NYC suburbs, I can't see ruining lox with what they call bagels on a cruise. Try a nice toasted English muffin with it.

I still remember my first creme brulee in Le Bistro on the Norwegian Majesty (now retired). It was on a base of chocolate. Even better, it was on the jazz brunch buffet at Le Bistro later in the cruise (another highly-recommended and -remembered meal).

Delawarealan

I believe I cruise to have lox (smoked salmon) at every breakfast. However, having grown up in the NYC suburbs, I can't see ruining lox with what they call bagels on a cruise. Try a nice toasted English muffin with it.

I am completely with you. If you cruise Breakaway, try going to the Uptown Grill for a slightly less disappointing bagel to put lox on. I'm not saying they're much better but at least you can get 'em with some toppings to liven up the taste a bit. The sad thing is that up there they put the cream cheese into tiny plastic cups instead of squirted onto cucumber slices, so there aren't any cucumbers to eat with your lox.

Or you can use a pretzel roll instead of a bagel. That would work for the whole fleet!

Edited by Valen9

Fruits De Mer & Escargot @ Le Bistro

Filet Mignon, Cagney's Fries & most desserts @ Cagney's

Picanha, Garlic Beef & Fried Sweet Bananas @ Moderno

Lobster Roll & Spicy Calamari @ Ocean Blue

Lobster Night, dessert crepes, bread pudding, french toast & eggs benedict @ Buffet

Pot Pie & Breakaway Sunday @ O'Sheehans

Favorite drink - Bushwacker

I'm sure I left some others out! :)

1379424338000-IMG-7608.jpg

Mr.%2B%2526%2BMrs.%2BP%2BNCL%2BLe%2BBistro%2B6.jpg

Edited by jayjay10704

I've only been on one NCL cruise, the Jewel. Nothing in the MDR nor the buffet was especially good, and Service was equally bad.

I did really like the Tepanyaki.. it was great!! And I'll do it again in Jan. on the Getaway. There was another small restaurant that was pretty good, forgot the name of it, but the service was soooooo slooooooow and it was never very busy.

Here's hoping the Getaway will change my opinion of NCL all together! !

Is tepanyaki like hibachi....do they do fun stuff the kids will enjoy. In NY there are hibachi places that my kids enjoy. More for the fun on the table than the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes...and we have found the food to be pretty good too. ;)

Is tepanyaki like hibachi....do they do fun stuff the kids will enjoy. In NY there are hibachi places that my kids enjoy. More for the fun on the table than the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, I think it's the one pay restaurant that is worth taking young kids to. Anyone would enjoy it, but especially younger children(14 and younger). And like the previous poster said, the food is not too bad.