No Excursions at all?

luckyduck

As a Brit I find it odd that ships are destinations for Carribean cruisers...how can a ship compete with an exotic island and ocean water? Especially when you see that ships are generally similar in experience as islands are.

Takes all types I guess.

Many people on this board have done numerous Caribbean cruises, and have pretty much seen and done everything they want to do in the Caribbean. Again, for many on this board, a cruise to the Caribbean is an inexpensive getaway.

For DH and I, a Caribbean cruise is an expensive, logistics-intensive undertaking. That doesn't mean I should tell others how to enjoy their vacation, though.

My next cruise is to Alaska. Most other cruisers will be doing and seeing everything they can. I'm taking one shore excursion and doing my own thing at the other ports. I've been to Alaska often enough that I know what I enjoy, and what adds value to my vacation. I fully expect to have the ship to myself at least once :D

We have taken 20 plus cruises, maybe five to the Caribbean, which is not our favourite destination. Since our very first cruise we have never taken a ship's excursion. We don't enjoy being in a crowd and following someone else's agenda. We research ports thoroughly and usually rent a car or take public transportation. Occasionally we may join a small group from a roll call if public transportation isn't a good option.

One of our favourite days recently was when we rented a car and explored the Normandy Beaches. We were able to DIY in Australia and New Zealand, and also in Rome, Venice and other Mediterranean ports as well as Hong Kong and Shanghai. We have, however booked a private tour for our extended family in St. Petersburg because exploring independently involves getting a visas for all ten of us, which would cost more than the tour.

Sheila

Haven't read any of the replies, but here's my two cents!!

Our last cruise -- Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize -- my friend and I did no excursions with the exception of booking a beach club in Cozumel. I think this is the first cruise when I didn't do at least one. But this cruise was total R&R. We would get off the ship and walk around the town for a bit, stop at a bar and try a local drink, and then go back to the ship and enjoy the pool. I have to say it was a thoroughly enjoyable cruise!!!

One time, it was either Belize or Roataan, there was civil unrest going on. Captain said all the ship sponsored excursions to the rainforest were cancelled. He said he has no control over the private ones, but if you are going, travel at you own risk and be careful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes we take excursions. Other times we don't. If you've been to a place several times, you might want to explore on your own or stay aboard. If it's a really great ship (like Oasis/Allure) it can be great to take advantage of the features aboard while most of the people are ashore. Sometimes, we just want to relax and never get off the ship.

It really just depends. We're not under any pressure. What we don't do this cruise, we'll do on our next one. There's no need to cram in every activity at every port.

We have been on more Caribbean cruises than I can count - and we live in South Florida. So we no longer do excursions on Caribbean cruises - what we've wanted to see, we've already done and we don't need to pay to go to a beach when we have beautiful ones at home.

However when cruising in Europe we do excursions - either ship's or independent - in almost every port. Only exception would be someplace we've been several times and can get around to see what we want on our own.

Marianne

Thinking back over all the cruises we've taken, I discovered that we've done excursion booked with the cruise line (early cruising), rented a car, taken private/independent tours, walked off the ship and caught a cab to a specific destination for a DIY day, wandered around the port without any planned excursion and stayed on the ship only wandering as far as a few shops we walked to and returned to the ship in short order. HATE the cruise line bus tours so those are no longer a choice for us. We will be on our second Med cruise in June and have independent drivers with an itinerary we have chosen after careful research and considering what we like and need to see without having any regrets. We get together to decide what we want to see and how best to see. We've even added a guide for the five of us (Ephesus and Pompeii). We've also decided that we didn't want a guide (too much standing around feeling like a lecture) for most locations. We don't like feeling limited and even if we plan to stay on the ship for a cruise meant just to relax.

I think like so many have said it is how often you take cruises and who you might be traveling with (young and old) that determines whether you take excursions, stay on the boat or DIY in the port.

Honestly, for my family (teen included), cruising is a luxury and money IS a factor. We cruise (but not every year) during the spring break time and only the Caribbean (for now). We go on the ship as a destination and wander the ports for the local cuisine, arts, and people.

We are beach people and can waste an entire day bobbing in the water. HaHa. We just go to the public beach where we have access to restrooms, music, and food and drink if we want those things. We do not pay the ridiculous AI rates they charge. We want total relaxation!

The cruise ship (the newest one with the most bells and whistles) is the UNIQUE vacation. The ports are the bonus. Don't get me wrong if there is history like ruins or some extreme sport we have never done we will be the first in line. However, we will wait to do those things on a land based vacation, not thru the cruise line.

As A couple fairly new to the world of cruising we take shore excursions every time we stop. It is just a matter of being comfortable and getting used to the area. With our third cruise coming up you live and learn a little more each time. Last cruise we booked a catamaran with a lobster lunch excursion. The trip itself was wonderful but the food was terrible and for the extra money it was not worth it. We will probably do the catamarans a couple of times every time we go and I love to snorkel so we will probably stick with excursions for a while. I think it is a very personal thing and everyone does their own thing on a cruise...that is the beauty of cruising and the reason we love it. To each his own:)

For me, it all depends on the heat...I find the Caribbean unbearable, so it has to be an a/c coach or a boat trip. We thought that it would be OK in Lisbon last June, as there was a strong wind blowing, but part way on our walk to the castle I realised it was too hot for me, so I managed to get back to the ship and catch a morning coach tour from the ship in comfort.

My wife has M.S., so we usually stay on the ship, especially at tendered ports. It is a great time to use the Royal Caribbean solarium and ALWAYS find a lounge chair.

Edited by Jimnbigd