No Excursions at all?

luckyduck

Are there folks who take NO excursions on their cruise - not with either the cruiseline or independent operators? Is it a budget consideration or do you just like staying onboard? Do you get off the ship at the ports at all?

I'd love to know the philosophy behind that; thanks!

Are there folks who take NO excursions on their cruise - not with either the cruiseline or independent operators? Yes Is it a budget consideration or do you just like staying onboard? Yes, to both questions. Do you get off the ship at the ports at all? Yes, we can walk around, DIY the port, many things.

There is no requirement to take an excursion. All depends on the port.

Are there folks who take NO excursions on their cruise - not with either the cruiseline or independent operators? Is it a budget consideration or do you just like staying onboard? Do you get off the ship at the ports at all?

Yes, there a people who do not take planned excursions (either ship-based or private). And there are people who book every possible excursion they can fit in the time allotted.

It's purely a matter of what you want from a vacation. Many people have been to some ports numerous times and feel comfortable just getting off and walking around a bit on their own. Others just stay onboard, because that's the vacation they want.

We've cruised for many years with RCI and I would say the majority of those cruises no excursions were needed or planned (budget never a factor)...and no there has never been a time when I stayed on the ship when in port.

There really are reasons other than money for not doing shore excursions.

Some have mobility issues and take a cruise just for the enjoyment of being on the ship.

Some have been to a port so often there is nothing they want to do or do again.

Some love to just walk around in some ports.

Some hate the port and have no desire to get off the ship.

Some find the excursions offered by the ship or independents leave too early.

LuLu

~~~

We hardly ever do 'excursions' per se. My favorite one we did tho was on the Oasis in Falmouth with Chukka, riding the horses and then swimming in the water with them. We actually did that one on HAL as well, at Half Moon Cay, but never got to 'swim' because when our time came the water had roughed up and they said it was dangerous for us as well as the horses. They gave us a choice of riding along the water instead of actually swimming with them or a refund. We rode and it was great, so when we got a second chance we took it and got to swim and it was one of my all time memorable experiences!! We mostly don't do excursions tho because I usually research the port in advance everywhere I can, as well as on here, and we do a lot of the same things that excursions do, only by ourselves and many times for less $. It's not the budget thing tho really. We just aren't into some of the 'cattle calls' that many turn out to be and like to be on our 'own time'. When you're on your own, you can stay longer or shorter times, etc. We've never not gotten off the ship even if we've been to the port before. We figure we cruised there, we need to get off and do something! We've gone to St. John, many beautiful beaches, taken a cab for tours where 'we' want to go, rented a car and toured around and many other fun things like renting electric cars and golf carts and touring around. I can only think of maybe one or two times that we've 'just walked around the port' but even that was fun, once again because I looked into it and we got to see, shop and do a lot. So, I think it's just a personal thing. Call us crazy, but we've always been somewhat independent and love to explore and do things on our own, both on cruises and land vacations. :) To each his own I guess! :)

I don't do excursions unless there is no option in order to visit something I really want to see. Otherwise, I'm a DIY girl. I have been able to go most places I want to from port either walking, bus, taxi, train… Once I'm where I want to be, I've studied enough that I can see what I want to see, and aimlessly wander when I want to. I'm not a sheeple, so I don't enjoy being herded ;)

For us it depends on how many times we have been to the port. For those we have been to multiple times we might just walk around and do a little shopping but spend most of the time on the ship. For ports like St Thomas, St Martin, and St Croix we usually rent a jeep, drive around the island, maybe go to a beach. On our cruise next week we will go zip lining in St Kitts, rent a jeep In st Martin and probably hang out on the ship in San Juan.

As time goes by, I am less-inclined to sign up for any organized group outing. Big bus or small van, there is always someone who keeps everyone else waiting at every stop. Big bus or small van, once people claim their seats they own them for the whole trip, and the last on are stuck in the worst seats for the whole excursion (been stuck in those worst seats too often).

As well, not always but sometimes, stops at souvenir kiosks (brother-in-law`s?); unexplained delays while tourists sit and wait for no reason; and sketchy or muttered commentary that adds no meaning to the ride through the country.

Local transport (buses or vans) are my choice. Or a taxi driver who will talk to us as we go along, and stop when and where and for how long we prefer. Usually cheaper, never more expensive, and always more rewarding.

I don't do excursions unless there is no option in order to visit something I really want to see. Otherwise, I'm a DIY girl. I have been able to go most places I want to from port either walking, bus, taxi, train… Once I'm where I want to be, I've studied enough that I can see what I want to see, and aimlessly wander when I want to. I'm not a sheeple, so I don't enjoy being herded ;)

You said it. ;)

I much prefer seeing things on my own, and it's not a matter of money (though I have a hard time justifying the expense of some excursions I've read about). There are a few times when it's just not possible, on a port day, to do what I want on my own. But given a viable option, I would nearly always choose to sightsee that way.

Our last cruise to Bermuda staying in port for 3 days we only left the ship a few times. Once to play mini golf on the island and maybe one or two times to get some suveniers. We had a great time lounging on the quiet ship! Would have not done this except I had just had back surgery 4 months before the cruise and wasn't really up for traveling around the island just wanted to relax. Honestly I think it was such a great time but it went way too fast!

I don't care to be herded around on a bus, but mostly it's a "been there, done that" thing. I traveled extensively when I was younger, full of energy and wonder before I ever took a cruise and the boat is the destination for the most part now, although I usually walk about in the port.

I wonder whether you're under a misapprehension, Ducky.;)

There's many more options than organised excursions or stay on the ship.

We prefer to do our thing, in a variety of ways.

Local trains, ferries, buses, tram, metro, mixing it with the locals.

Renting a car or jeep.

Negotiating our own tour with taxis & vans at the port.

Hop-on buses & boats.

Negotiating a boat.

Relying on shanks's - planned walking routes or just wandering & see what we come across

And countless others.

Different strategies in different ports.

Even the occasional private tour, shared arrangements, or ship's tours when it's the right option.

We do what we want to do, in our own time frame.

And no, we've never missed a sailing.

Our dislike of ships tours for a number of reasons:

- Cost. Not so much the money, more the value for money. The cash I've earned cost me blood, sweat & tears, never over-charged a customer in my life, and don't like being ripped-off. Most ships' tours are over-priced.

- Itineraries. Ships set their itineraries to cater for a wide range of abilities & tastes. We don't like to spend valuable time at a site which holds little interest and then be rushed through or even straight past a place which in our eyes is worthy of a long stop. No flexibility with ships' tours.

- sales pitches. Those itineraries frequently include a stop (often nor on the itinerary) which earns the cruise line commission on sales. If I wanted a carpet or pearls or jewellery I'd choose to visit one. I don't want. And I don't appreciate my valuable shore time wasted in such places. (yes, some privately-arranged vans sometimes pull the same stunt too, though it's negotiable or at least a whole lot quicker.).

- A long tour includes a lunch. Usually a very nice lunch, but that's often an hour or more out of the day when I'm happy with a quick snack or eating on-the-hoof or going without.

- Large coach groups, usually though not always 50+ passengers. The time for 50 to alight & board at the stops is amazingly slow. Folk who stand in the aisle adjusting their things while others need to get past, folk who are unsteady on their pins, folk who can easily screw up a tour by arriving late at a meeting point. "sorry, I though he said be back at half-past", "we got lost", "long line at the bathroom". And no, the driver can't simply leave without them - I've done the job myself professionally and the grief of leaving two behind (usually two that would cope badly if left behind) is greater than the grief of having to skip the next stop.

- hate the cattle-herding. The sign or umbrella being carried along the streets ahead of a straggle of labelled tourists, those at the front monopolising the guide, those at the rear out-of-earshot. No time to dive into a shop or even gaze at some monument or whatever interests you.

Have experienced a few ships' tours, have seen plenty, have heard lots of first-hand stories over dinner or in the bar.

No, every ship's tour doesn't have all these negative elements. And for some it's the safest & most comforting way to explore. Or even transfer to a beach.

If I live another 20 years I'll be joining them.:p

All this in very general terms I'm not totally down on ships' tours, they're not my scene but I can see them being the preferred option for many.

Nor do we stay on the ship when there's a world to explore out there. Even places we've been before - it's interesting to see the changes, to see parts we've not managed on previous visits, even to put the world to rights over a few beers with locals.

Just my outlook, others have different views & each to their own

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We are going on our first cruise later this month and are not booking any excursions. They seem very overpriced (money is not an issue) and I prefer to do what I want when I want to do it. I don't think I would ever just stay on the ship. The excursions just seem touristy and I'm happy just to be on vacation so I know I'll still have fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only once and it wasn't for financial reasons, nor did we remain on the ship.

We were traveling with a baby and my elderly in-laws, so opted to just relax at the beach in order to meet the needs of everyone.

We don't take excursions anymore. After 14plus cruises, going to the same ports (we don't fly) we feel we have seen just about everything we want to see. So now if we get off the ship its just to walk around.

We cruise because we love to. Being spoiled for one week, meeting new people from across the globe, miles and miles of water with no land in sighe, etc.

We've taken a winter Caribbean cruise now for over 30 yrs and have been to most islands dozens of times. Some years, we might get off and do little souvenir shopping and sometimes we don't get off the ship at all. For us, taking a winter Caribbean cruise is kind of like going to an all inclusive, whereby the ship IS the all inclusive. We enjoy lounging around the pool whilst everyone else is off on the island during the day and enjoy the dining and evening atmosphere later in the day. We've always met and enjoyed the company of dining companions and other folks we meet up with during the cruise,

We don't take ship sponsored tours. We have in our early cruising days - but we don't anymore, and haven't for many years. We do, however, frequently arrange things privately or completely on our own with rental cars or taxis.

We also do spend time on board ship in certain ports of call as relaxing on board is as much our goal as enjoying what a port of call may have to offer, especially if we have been there several times before.

We will go back to certain restaurants or merchants that we have come to know with repeat cruises to that port of call as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We pretty much stopped going on excursions about 5 years ago. There just wasn't anything that interested us.

Probably about every other cruise we don't even get off the ship. We enjoy being on a relatively empty ship and getting to visit with the crew. When we do get off in a port it's just to walk around in the shopping area right by the ship and maybe have a snack.

I'm not much of an excursion type of person -- more of a DIY traveller. There are some places where I would not be comfortable on my own, and some experiences I couldn't get without a planned "excursion", but generally I'd rather see the place myself. Using local transit or taxis, or just wandering around. Money has nothing to do with it -- it's about a different type of experience.