Soot soot soot

Because they burn the cheapest diesel fuel with the most pollutants in it when outside of the United States waters, it will result in more soot, etc.

I would love to see where the soot ended up though.

That is part of what comes out of the stack:rolleyes:

I don't care where it comes from! When you pay 15k for a deck you would like it to be usable! Go roll your eyes somewhere else!

Photos work. It is soot but what looks like actually a minimal amount. I'm not going to say you shouldn't be annoyed by it, but just saying that was a minimal amount and part of a balcony anywhere near the stacks.

Cruise and hotel balconies as well as cruise and hotel rooms (ESPECIALLY hotel rooms) I am never barefoot, who knows what sort of filth awaits.

Let me say that I am by no means a seasoned cruiser. And if any amount of soot is acceptable then I probably will not be taking many more.

One of the reasons why I don't rush to have an Aft cabin. Balconies on other parts of the ship don't get soot. I have had a balcony on every cruise I have taken and not had this problem so don't let this put you off cruising, just pick a different location for your cabin :)

Let me say that I am by no means a seasoned cruiser. And if any amount of soot is acceptable then I probably will not be taking many more.

Some locations are worse than others. Some locations you will virtually never get soot at all. Good for you though that you found CC as it is a GREAT resource for cabin location / selection info for just about every cabin type on all the mass market lines. One of the biggest benefits to these forums.

One of the reasons why I don't rush to have an Aft cabin. Balconies on other parts of the ship don't get soot. I have had a balcony on every cruise I have taken and not had this problem so don't let this put you off cruising, just pick a different location for your cabin :)

Agree with you on all points. Cruising is a wonderful vacation and we have had some choice balconies without any soot at all. We have no desire for an aft for the reason mentioned. OP, sorry you are upset and I understand your frustration.

I had a corner aft on the Explorer in December and didn't have any soot problems at all. But, someone did throw some cigarette butts overboard and landed on my balcony.:eek: Our balcony was covered though, because I can't take much sun. I would take that cabin again in a heartbeat. Too bad the Explorer will be going overseas. I will miss her. :(

I would be mad too, if I had to put up with soot. I get a balcony to use it and that would ruin it for me. Maybe a side balcony is in order for any future cruises.

Gwen :)

We have an aft balcony on Rhapsody in May. Will give a soot report.

But then again, I don't plan on being barefoot on my balcony in May in Alaska. In fact I don't plan to be barefoot anywhere in Alaska in May.

I will say that I've been on Allure and Oasis and on the "secret" balcony a number of times. Never seen any soot. If you watch the smoke, it's very "wind" dependent. So even side balconies can get some of the smell. Part of being on a ship. It is a powered machine.

Wow, that small inconvenience ruined your cruise! You are wise to abandon altogether.

We have been in aft balconies where soot fell and we were never irritated….however, we are seasoned cruisers and know that on almost every cruise there is something that COULD bother us if we let it.

Edited by beachnative

Because they burn the cheapest diesel fuel with the most pollutants in it when outside of the United States waters, it will result in more soot, etc.

I would love to see where the soot ended up though.

I think the worst soot is probably from the burning of solid waste, That produces the really dark smoke as opposed to the normal white-grey smoke.

The worst soot I ever saw was on the old Empress of the Seas. I had an aft balcony any there would be days where I would find large flecks of soot. I just had to make sure I wiped the chairs down before sitting on them. The aft balcony was still worth it.

I've had several aft cabins and have never seen soot. I'd hate to find out the hard way by sitting down in a chair to have a drink wearing something white. :mad:

I would probably be a little disappointed also if I paid for a ATS and couldn't enjoy it to its fullest because of soot flying on my clothes.

Edited by ksuds