Our Carnival Liberty Experience 3/29-4/5/14

I like your review style! The font size and picture size are just right. I am following along. I will be on the Liberty soon and look forward to seeing more about the new menu.

Congratulations on your degree! I need to get myself motivated to get back to school. It is a challenge when working full time. You did it!

I'm sorry you missed Half Moon. You had a great attitude about it though. (I think I might have pouted a little!)

Thanks for taking the time to do this review:)

Enjoying your review. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Could you tell me if the noise from the Karaoke/Comedy Club could be heard from your party that had interior rooms? We have an interior room near the back of the ship on deck 6 in Aug and am worried about the noise when trying to go to sleep. But maybe you'll hit on that later? :p

Edited by erby2283

Enjoying your review. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Could you tell me if the noise from the Karaoke/Comedy Club could be heard from your party that had interior rooms? We have an interior room near the back of the ship on deck 6 in Aug and am worried about the noise when trying to go to sleep. But maybe you'll hit on that later? :p

Yes you could hear the sounds from the Victoria lounge but it's not bad and the Balcony rooms in aft also hear it not just the interior.

Honestly, we heard it the first night but after that it was like white noise and off to sleep we went (and that was only because I was in bed at 11pm). Most nights we went to bed after midnight and that room shut down completely by 1 am.

I like your review style! The font size and picture size are just right. I am following along. I will be on the Liberty soon and look forward to seeing more about the new menu.

Congratulations on your degree! I need to get myself motivated to get back to school. It is a challenge when working full time. You did it!

I'm sorry you missed Half Moon. You had a great attitude about it though. (I think I might have pouted a little!)

Thanks for taking the time to do this review:)

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'm glad you're enjoying it. After reading so many reviews over the years I realized I really like larger font (my eyes are not what they use to be- I transitioned to bifocals this year). :eek:

As for going back to school- go for it you can do it- we are our own worst enemies-believe and achieve. We cannot be perfect (sorry that does not exist) but we can become better and education is the key to the betterment- JMO!

As for Half Moon Cay (I didn't say I didn't pout ;), I was really looking forward to it) but with that said I was on vacation in warm & sunny weather so I would not let that define our vacation, specifically my vacation. I went with the roll of things, just makes for a happier me.

Yes you could hear the sounds from the Victoria lounge but it's not bad and the Balcony rooms in aft also hear it not just the interior.

Honestly, we heard it the first night but after that it was like white noise and off to sleep we went (and that was only because I was in bed at 11pm). Most nights we went to bed after midnight and that room shut down completely by 1 am.

Thank you!

OK…where did I leave off……………….. yes, now I remember- Deck 10 near the aft (Starboard side), it was windy but with the sun beating down on me it felt good.

Lunch: Decided to try Fish & Chips (since it is right there on deck 10)- couch fritters & fried oysters. Actually the oysters were not exactly what I was thinking they would be. They are finely chopped & mixed in a patter with spices and chopped pepper/onions like the fritter, only issue I could see was they do not cook them long enough (kind of mushy in the middle-both the oyster & fritter). BFF said the fish and chips were good (I should have gotten that). The garlic dipping sauce was great for the fries though! So I went and tried a burrito-chicken on a jalapeno wrap-it was good but a little too much breading (if I’m being honest).

Sorry no food pics today :mad:

Dinner: From the grill our table had Pork chop, chicken breast (all said to be good). Junkanoo Pot (Bahamas Port of Call Menu)-chicken (dark meat), mussels, shrimp, scallops, pineapple chunks, over yellow rice (sticky)- this dish is spicy but very tasty. Double baked potato (had to ask for toppings-again seems to be a theme as my BFF had to ask the first night as well), green beans (with bacon & onion), rice pilaf (very sticky white rice-didn’t taste so great according to DH). Tonight we tried “Cruiser” the drink- it was great!!!

OK, originally my youngest was suppose to go to Circle C but it turns out the kids in that group were actually only 10-11 years old, he stands 5'10 155lbs so he didn't want to be with them. He went to the Club 02 person in charge and actually moved himself so he could hang out with his brothers, worked out great. So, for all those who say they are "strict" about moving I guess it depends on the situation and child involved. I did purchase the Club 02 picture with all the kids in the group but haven't scanned it yet to attach...guess I'll attach it later.

Looking forward to your review!

Thanks for reading along!

GREAT review!! :D Looking forward to the rest since we will be sailing on the Liberty for the first time in August. Sorry that you missed HMC. :(

It's OK... just gives me reason to book another one-right :D

Really enjoying your detailed review! I commend you for being so organized for everyone on your trip. Hope you had time to relax, you deserve it! Looking forward to the rest!

Oh yes I truly enjoyed myself and yes I relaxed. Organization occurred with four sons to coordinate activities for Boy Scouts, Basketball, Track, Football, Bowling every Saturday from Sept-April every year, and karate. When the kids out number the parents you become very organized!!!

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

Enjoying the review! We did this same itinerary a year and a half ago.

When I saw only "Half Moon Cay" was in red font on your title page I thought "Uh-oh, does that mean they missed the port?"....and sadly that was the case.

We missed it too on our cruise, with a cabana (#9) already booked. Very disappointing, but LOTS of OBC to spend! For us, that meant pre-paid Bottomless Bubbles, pre-paid grats and a discount on the Behind the Fun tour! :D

Edited by Pellaz

Goodness! You remind me so much of myself. I am such a planner as well. My family (me 46, DH 49, DD 21, DS 20, DS 16 and his friend 16) will be on the Liberty May 31 sailing. Your review is awesome and I am finding it so helpful.....I am actually taking notes!

Carnival - Ecstasy, 2013/1014 (New Years cruise)

Carnival - Miracle, 2013

Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas, 2013

Royal Caribbean- Oasis of the Seas, 2011

Carnival - Destiny, 2010

Carnival - Victory, 2009

Carnival - Paradise, 2004

Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas, 1996

Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas, 1993

Carnival - Festival, 1989

Edited by Carol Jones

We also had a scare with DH being diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms (several blood clots in both lungs) in early February, so we were happy he was on the mend and would be able to join us (If he hadn’t been able to come we would have had to eat his fare because we opted not to take the insurance- I know, I know, we should have bought it but I never thought we might need it-best laid plans right but I digress again….:-(.

We did book the cabins with DH in the balcony with one son and me in the interior with two sons-this way both cabins got to partake in any past guest price drops since we booked Early Saver. Once we got on the ship DH & I went to guest services to get extra cabin cards, as I would be switching with DS#2 to stay in the balcony and he would go to the inside cabin.

Originally I was going to save my notes for the end but once I started to put the review together I decided to move them to the front.

Notes:

· I actually started writing my review 60 days out from our trip- in a word document. I was afraid I would forget some preliminary details that I wanted to make certain I added. This helped me keep track of those little details-plus I brought it with me in a notebook so I could jot down notes while on the trip.

· I used packing lists (excel spreadsheets) to keep everyone straight. I’m a little “type A personality” (if you haven’t figured that out already) so this really helped me with the packing for five people.

· I packed one swimsuit in everyone’s carry on going down to Fort Lauderdale. I wasn’t sure if the hotel was going to let us check in early-remember we were arriving EARLY to FLL and if the weather permitted I wanted to begin our vacation immediately. (Well again best laid plans). Hotel actually let us check in when we arrived and NO RAIN!!!

· I did over pack, I always do. Even though I pulled out several outfits and repacked several times before we left.

· I brought Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and baggies to place the TV remotes in-at the hotel & in the cabin-nasty germs on them.

· I wiped down the surfaces of each cabin-drawers, desk top, phone and unpacked the balcony & inside cabin, you can never be too careful and yes I have done this every cruise, just a little OCD about germs. Plus DSs would have lived out of their suitcases for the week had I not.

· I brought different sized Ziploc bags to seal sand & shells in. I always bring sand back from any beach I have been too-my collection has sand from California to New York and the Dominican Republic, along with the Caribbean islands we have visited on cruises. I also bring them for those odds & ends you need along the way, like extra fruit from the buffet to have on the balcony or packing wet clothes in when leaving, or even dry cereal we use to get the fish to come close when snorkeling.

· I brought OTC meds for everything from heartburn to diarrhea to cough syrup, a small sewing kit that includes a nail kit, band aids & Neosporin- just in case.

· We had sun tan lotion/sunblock from 0-80 SPF and Aloe lotion just in case we got too much sun. It is expensive in port & on the ship; I would rather spend my money on other things.

· We had power outlets (Belkin) with charging ports, battery operated alarm clocks-all for each cabin, duct tape and clear packing tape, and yes I have had to use it on trips before, you live and learn.

· I packed soap and shampoo (the boys have sensitive skin, as do I) but please be aware that Carnival does supply you with two dispensers in the shower labeled shower gel & shampoo, should you like to use them instead.

· I packed a flat iron for my hair; it’s naturally curly so it was a must to get it to look decent for elegant night.

· I printed out our luggage tags on a color printer, packed them in my expandable file folder and attached them prior to leaving the hotel with clear packing tape.

· Yes, I use an expandable file folder to organize each day of the trip. I had a file pocket for packing lists in the front; then flight info; hotel confirmation; shuttle confirmation; boarding passes, passports & birth certificates (just in case). DSs carried their school IDs as well as Drivers Permit & Non driver NY State ID cards with them; Bon Voyage purchase receipts (which I had to call to get them to email to me); Cabana rental info & map (printed off the CC forum); copy of confirmation from Godfrey regarding the tour in St Thomas; walking tour & trolley map for San Juan; and copies of coupons for Jack’s Shack in Grand Turk (and you thought I was lying when I said I was type A w/OCD).

· I have envelopes for each day with spending cash. We took $3,000 for our family of 5, allotting so much for each day depending on what we did. I also had two envelopes labeled receipts for each cabin so I could keep track of our spending onboard. Each cabin also got $25 in singles for tipping when ordering room service.

· We used our debit card for our onboard account (I know how some feel on these boards-please do not flame me- as this works for my family). We have done this on every cruise we have taken- with 3 different lines and never had a problem. We just advise our bank(s) that we are leaving out of the country, when we are leaving & how long we will be gone, as well as where we are going on which day and have never had any issues-one card for the onboard account and the other for purchases on land (should we not have enough cash) and yes we have two different banks which equates to two different debit cards. We have never seen several charges or holds to our account-it has always been for the amount of our onboard account-I guess we have been lucky.

· We assigned a spending limit for our sons, $75 each-they don’t really drink soda, so the free lemonade & tea were fine with them but they like non-alcoholic frozen drinks & Milkshakes, so this way they could order them themselves without having to find Mom or Dad to get it, plus I didn’t want any surprises from fun times in the arcade-just in case. They only spent about $40 between the three of them.

· We brought refillable water bottles, coffee mugs with lids, sugar free flavor packets, and flavored non-dairy coffee creamer. The ship has Sugar, Sugar Cane, Equal, Splenda and Sweet & Low packets.

· We ordered room service most mornings- 4 coffees & 4 teas gave us a carafe each (DH only drinks tea) and I would make my coffee with my French Vanilla creamer & Splenda in the cabin. The ship does have a coffee shop if you want to purchase flavored coffee (I am too frugal, so I bring what I need). That coffee shop (Jarvin Café- deck 5) is where you can get Milkshakes.

Would you tell me where you got the coupons to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk? Everything I have read this is the place to go. Thank you for your review. I can't wait to see the rest of the new menu.

Great Review! Looking forward to the rest of it.....I haven't been on the Liberty (yet!) but have been on her sister ships the Valor and Glory..

I am getting ready to go on my 9th in July and it is still as exciting as the first, I too plan and plan and plan and also pack for my DH and DD so I have to be organized- so I can relate.

Happy Cruising!

Tam

Thanks for doing a review. You pack just like me :eek:

I think we got on the ship about the same time as you and we went straight to Shorex to pick out our cabana (#14) and then to Guest Services to change people in rooms and get extra room keys also. We also had Anytime Dining, so I'm surprised that we did not meet earlier in the week than at Jack's Shack in Grand Turk! My Granddaughter said she "wanted to stay at that beach forever!" She also loved Topher who would swim with her. You girls dancing on the beach was very entertaining :D

We were so bummed about HMC, mostly because that was our main reason for booking this cruise. We made the best of it, but the chair hogs were horrible on this cruise!! There was one girl in the Serenity area saving 4 loungers and a hammock for 4 people and a couple who saved 2 loungers and a hammock for themselves :mad: Just rude!!!

We got the Calamari, flatbread, and Caesar Salad for the table almost every night and really enjoyed them.

Congrats on your graduation and take care :)

Would you tell me where you got the coupons to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk? Everything I have read this is the place to go. Thank you for your review. I can't wait to see the rest of the new menu.

Go to Jack's Shack website and click on the Free Rum tab & print out the coupon. I've got mine ready for July. http://www.jacksshack.tc/

Ha ha ! I read your disclaimer at the beginning and thought oh no I'm not going to read this. I will not like it. Bu-ut - I had to read it:

- you're in Buffalo; I grew up in Hamburg and spent my 20's in Buffalo

- you just got off the Liberty and you're telling me all about the Liberty and eventually I'll get to take MY Liberty cruise

- you have 3 teenage sons and I have 3 teenage sons

- and if that isn't enough - you had one of the cabins that we have booked for our cruise!!!!!!!

SO I am reading your review and loving every minute of it and can't wait for more. Thank you so much for your time and effort in doing this. You're the best, but then Buffaloians are.

Yay! I found your review! I'm excited to read it! I thought about doing one too.

I liked the flat bread but felt something was missing. Wish it had more flavor.

My DD was in Circle C also. I'm surprised they allowed a 10yo in the older club. She didn't mention it either.

We will be on the Liberty this summer as well, so I am loving your report. I can't wait to hear more about the birthdays, as my son will celebrate his 13th onboard. We have already decided to spend our Grand Turk day at Jack's Shack, so I'm looking forward to hearing about that as well.