Returning to Princess ~ A couple of questions

JimAOk1945

I've been reading through the Princess forum for quite a while and have found some incredibly helpful information here. I am very grateful since it has been quite awhile since we have cruised with Princess.

In thinking about our upcoming cruise in December, a couple of questions come to mind. I have searched for the answers but can't find any recent answers.

We have cruised with Princess twice before and we will be in a full suite on our upcoming cruise. I read about gold cards and black cards. What color will our cruise card be and does the color matter?

We plan on eating dinner in the specialty restaurants at least twice but are not sure which nights we will select. What is the dress code for both formal and non-formal nights? The answer to this question will help us pack appropriately.

Thanks!

The card color is based on cruises completed (or days at sea completed, whichever gets one to the loyalty class first). With 2 cruises you will have a gold card. This says you have cruised before, and are eligible to attend a Captain's Circle party onboard. Check online for any other benefits.

The FAQ Cruise Answer Place online really answers your dress question. It is my understanding that the specialty restaurants do not require one dress formally on formal nights.

The color of the card indicates your level in the Captain's Circle. You can attain a level based on either the number of days you have sailed with Princess or the number of Cruise Credits you have earned. For each cruise you get 1 cruise credit. If you sail solo or in a suite you get a second cruise credit. If you sail solo in a suite you get a third credit for that cruise. I think the extra cruise credits for solo and suites was put into the plan 5 years or so ago.

Starting from the lowest level:

Blue card = first time on Princess.

Gold = At least one previous cruise.

Magenta = Either 3 cruise credits or 30 days on Princess

Platinum = 5 or 50

Elite = 15 or 150

You'll have a gold card, unless you've earned prior credits based on being in a suite previously (as someone stated before, that will depend on when that change was made).

The dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual, but sometimes people get a bit more dressy, especially if celebrating a special event. Think of what you would wear to a really nice restaurant, if you wish. But you can dress as for the MDR on a non-formal night: polo or tropical shirt with slacks for guys and a sundress for girls.

We have cruised with Princess twice before and we will be in a full suite on our upcoming cruise. I read about gold cards and black cards. What color will our cruise card be and does the color matter?

We plan on eating dinner in the specialty restaurants at least twice but are not sure which nights we will select. What is the dress code for both formal and non-formal nights? The answer to this question will help us pack appropriately.

I believe your cruise card will be gold. No special cruise card color for full suites. Perhaps someone who books full suites has more information. Regardless, it'll be marked so that you are identified as being in a full suite.

Dress code for specialty restaurants no matter which night, including formal, is smart casual. That said, I've found that people in the specialty restaurants tend to dress up a bit more on formal nights. Some are formal but most are "Sunday best" type of smart casual. I just wear black pants and a top. Some gentlemen wear jackets, many don't.

Edited by Pam in CA

Perhaps someone who books full suites has more information. Regardless, it'll be marked so that you are identified as being in a full suite.

Pam is correct - your card will be marked 'suite' and that will help identify you to the staff:

1. Embarkation - after you have received your card you are directed to a seating area (general, platinum, elite/suite). It helps the terminal staff determine where you are 'entitled' to sit.
  2. Disembarkation - I presume the same is true about using the platinum/elite/suite disembarkation lounge.
  3. Elite/suite passenger services line.
  4. Platinum/elite/suite cocktail hour.
  5. Thermal spa access (haven't used it since the change to marking it on the card but they used to have to look you up on a list, similar to how they handle Sabatinis).
  6. I also can imagine them going away with tender tickets.

I've been reading through the Princess forum for quite a while and have found some incredibly helpful information here. I am very grateful since it has been quite awhile since we have cruised with Princess.

In thinking about our upcoming cruise in December, a couple of questions come to mind. I have searched for the answers but can't find any recent answers.

Thanks!

You mention dining in the specialty restaurants a couple nights. With you being in a suite you are entitled to a complimentary reservation at one of the specialty restaurants on embarkation night. Generally you must use it this night or could lose it.

Also, for being booked in a suite you are entitled to breakfast in Sabatinis. This is for suite passengers only and is a really special treat, at least I think it is.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. As I mentioned above, it's been quite awhile since we've cruised on Princess and we are very excited to do so again.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to read my questions and post answers and tips. Even though our cruise is in December I'm doing as much research as I can to prepare for it.

We are looking forward to having a wonderful cruise. Happy sailing everyone!

Edited by JimAOk1945