Sailing into San Francisco

I'm on a 5 day cruise from LA to Vancouver in May with a stop in San Francisco. I hear wonderful things about sailing into San Francisco but our ship docks at 7 a.m. If I'm up at 6 a.m. will I be able to watch the ship sail under the Golden Gate Bridge or will it arrive much earlier and 7 a.m. is when we can disembark?

I really don't want to miss it and being a morning person I'm willing to get up to witness it. Thanks for any advice you can share.

We sailed into SF last October and I just checked my Log of the Cruise and it said that we sailed under the Golden Gate at 6:03 and passengers could get off at 7:15. We set our alarms to get up. We went up to the top deck to get a good view. It was quite cold so be sure to take a jacket with you. We lived in the Bay Area for many years and I wanted to experience sailing under the bridge. I would have gone up there again when we sailed out but I was too tired for all of the walking we did that day. Enjoy!!!

Suggestion:

If your ship as a Bridge cam view on your stateroom's TV, turn it on well in advance of the scheduled arrival and keep an eye periodically on it. Even if it is dark when you approach the bridge, you will be able to see the lights on it. That might help you to make it topside in time so that you don't miss sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

I've sailed into SF twice (on NCL) and on both occasions the captain announced the expected entry time the night before.

But on both occasions it was DARK and FOGGY, so all I saw were lights on the bridge. Still probably worth the effort! :-)

I've sailed into SF twice (on NCL) and on both occasions the captain announced the expected entry time the night before.

But on both occasions it was DARK and FOGGY, so all I saw were lights on the bridge. Still probably worth the effort! :-)

We stayed for the whole thing until we docked - besides going under the bridge I loved looking over at the city and seeing the lights in the dark. Go for it!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are on the Crown in San Francisco right now. Last night the Captain made an announcement that we should pass under the Golden Gate Bridge at around 5:15 am this morning. And we did just that! Almost on the minute.

I was on the Crown for the April 26th cruise. I set the alarm for 5:00am, threw on the sweats and was topside with just a few minutes to spare before going under the Bridge. I must admit that I should have stayed on deck for the entire trip into the dock. Some of my friends went topside about 5:30 and stayed until we docked. They got great pictures of the new Bay Bridge at sunrise.

I was on the Crown for the April 26th cruise. I set the alarm for 5:00am, threw on the sweats and was topside with just a few minutes to spare before going under the Bridge. I must admit that I should have stayed on deck for the entire trip into the dock. Some of my friends went topside about 5:30 and stayed until we docked. They got great pictures of the new Bay Bridge at sunrise.

Great info! We're looking at the 7-day Coastal Cruise on the Crown Princess for October 11th with San Fran the 1st port of call and as others have stated don't miss the entrance to the Bay and the GGB early morn.........so will be up and about early! Thnx