Feel Like a Pariah on my Roll Call

wintersmybaby

Hi OP

I'm a single mother, homeschool and I cruise NCL all the time with my son. Some roll calls are more chilly than others. I NEVER let it stop me from going to the M&G. I've also organized a few M&G myself. I mention my child occasionally as we chat on the roll call. Some people are wonderful and others are not. Their problem, not mine! I've brought my child to M&G's, cabin crawls, bridge tours. I've paid for him, just like everyone else. And in most cases, he is paid as a full 2nd passenger fare, not a 3rd or 4th. So please don't stress your roll call.

I also cruise mostly non prime time. Hours for the program will not be cut, but they do combine ages. NCL a little over a year ago did change their kids clubs hours and on Sea Days, the club closes down for 2 hours around Lunch and then 2 hours around dinner time. It was explained to me that many people were dropping kids off at 9 am and not coming back til 10:30pm and never feeding their kids, so they had to make the change.

When you board the ship, go and sign your kids up for the kids program. I generally ask at that time how many kids are on the ship and in the age range of mine. That doesn't mean they all sign up for the club, but it gives you an idea. They will also give you a weekly schedule of events. My son and I always look over and he knows what he likes and enjoys the most. Also, once he meets other kids and counselors sometimes he wants to go even more than he originally may have thought.

Awww, I hate to hear you feel that way. But it is entirely up to you if you want to attend the meet and greet OR if you want to attend with your young child OR if you want to drop them off at the kids club. Really the meet & greet usually doesn't last that long (1 hour tops then it's up to those that want to hang around...like those that have gotten to know each other on the roll call and so on).

But honestly, we started taking our youngest (who just turned 6 a few days ago) cruising when she was 3 years old. She now has (I think) around 5 or so cruises under her belt (and 2 more this year) and we have taken her with us to all of the meet and greets. It doesn't matter to us whether or not there are other children there because most of the time you are sitting and listening to the officers speak or asking questions or whatever...then you mingle.

You child will have PLENTY of time for meeting new friends while in the kids club, whether they are on the roll call (or meet & greet) or not. My daughter has walked away with a friend at the kids club from 3 cruises ago and we did another cruise together this past year and hopefully will do more together in the future. :)

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. It's your vacation (family), go and enjoy it. :D

DD (now 18YO and about to graduate from high school :eek:) has travelled with us, including cruising, her whole life.

We've had few rude encounters, but even then got way more "support" to counter any long-term, adverse effects:

• Once on a plane a guy in a business suit, hurumphed very loudly and demanded to be re-seated when DH, DD and I sat down in front of him (DD was 8MO). The dude's co-worker witnessed the encounter and made the rude guy wait and apologize to us after the flight.
  • In the MDR, some woman critized my then 8YO DD for reading at the table. Someone else called her out for it - and when she left in a huff, people at her table and surrounding tables applauded her leaving.
    Head waiter arranged for a private galley tour for DD and her friends.

We've arranged private tours with people on the boards -- some fall through when you mention that your "third" is 10YO, others appreciate the fresh views of a young mind.

A well-behaved kid is the best "revenge". I've had dining companions on two separate cruises (from when DD was in her early teens) "confess" to me privately that they had their doubts about being seated with a child, but really enjoyed her companionship.

Good luck!

Edited by Onessa

• 2 weeks later...

There are Always those who think kids should never go anywhere and you can't help those people. The same people will come up to me in restaurants and comment on how they were so worried when they sat us near them, but how adorable my kids are and well behaved! You may have scared someone off but then there are the cruisers like this. We sailed three weeks before Xmas to Europe and someone from the roll cAll bought all the kids posting (well parents) presents. My kids still like their books in Dutch! The farther away the less they post so more people and hopefully those with kids will post soon.

I'm traveling with my two girls 6 and 3 and we're the only family on the roll call with younger kids. Not feeling too welcome, so I haven't even dared sign up for the Meet and Greet. Not a big deal, just different from my last cruise on RC. First time on NCL.

Anyhoo, traveling mid May, what should I expect from splash academy? Still plenty of kids? If not, will they reduce hours like I've heard of on Carnival? If not a lot of young kids guess the bonus is less crowded aqua park? Kids are so excited, as are we! :D

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

I am travelling on your cruise with my son who is 2 yrs and 8 months. I only posted once to the Roll Call and have not joined the Meet and Greet because I keep forgetting to do so when I get home. I cannot access the document from work for some reason. So if you do decide to sign up for the Meet and Greet, we can have our kids meet otherwise we'll see you at Splash Academy! My first NCL cruise so I don't know what to expect either. Sorry you feel our Roll Call was rude. I didn't follow the Roll Call much except in the last few days. I did find on my last cruise that everyone responded warmly to our toddler and he loved the interaction too.

I wouldn't say they are being rude, just haven't acknowledged my girls AT ALL. It's fine, I get it, I am one of those people who considered never having kids and waited until I was 35 to finally do it. I know they'll win over any sourpuss. :p

I do plan on going to the meet and mingle, but by myself. Not much fun for them anyway, but I like to be social and hear from the officers. See you on the Getaway!

I'm also the only one with little kids on our roll call (mine are 7 and 3) plus our cruise is notoriously few in kids. I'll be surprised if there are 50 total (that's how many there were on our Norwegian fjords cruise in 2012 on celebrity). That being said, when we saw the younger kids around they always seemed to be having a blast and they had themed days like pirate day etc.)

The hours were never reduced bc of smaller number of kids.

I wouldn't expect my kids being acknowledged on the roll call though. For lack of better wording, I'd really rather they don't care about my kids. LOL.

Don't be afraid to take part of things just bc you have kids. We may all visit the meet & mingle or may not (DH is fairly antisocial lol & on the last cruise we overslept), and while we're not joining any private tours for the same reasons as above, I don't feel like I can't contribute.

Have a blast on your trip :)

Edited by Syrreal

I have to admit it wouldn't occur to me to acknowledge children from a Roll Call post. I may be misunderstanding what you mean.

Yes, sorry if that seems weird to say. But in my situation I lightheartedly replied to a roll call post about hoping there wouldn't be many kids or that they would at least be hidden. In my reply I explained how my girls were almost excited as any one of us and included a couple of pics where they were playing with their Barbie cruise ship (their dolls were dining on sushi, kinda adorable. Yes, I am biased). Not a single person posted for a whole day after that. Just made me feel kinda left out/avoided since there is so much other chatty stuff going on. I know we will have a fabulous trip! I started this thread right after that happened, when I needed to vent a little. It's all good!!!!

I think that you are expecting too much from strangers who have never even heard of, let alone met your girls. Personally, I am with the other poster who would be uncomfortable if strangers were taking too much interest in my kids.

OK, I just went and found your post on the roll call. That entire page - at least on my computer, and I have it set to make each page very long - was mostly talking about drinking and partying. Then you post photos of your toddlers playing Barbie right in the middle! The photos really were cute - to you and maybe other Mom's with kids that age. But to a perfect stranger, not so much.

Don't worry! I am sure that you and your family are going to have an awesome cruise!! The roll call is one hour out of an entire cruise. No worries, right? Just relax and enjoy yourself!!

Have fun!!

Edited by cello56

I'm really wasn't expecting anything, nor has anyone been unkind, I just felt left out, maybe a little dismissed. Now I'm not sure I should have shared, it's getting a little over analysed. Of course, I've spent enough time on CC to see that coming. ;)

I have to admit it wouldn't occur to me to acknowledge children from a Roll Call post. I may be misunderstanding what you mean.
I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. If I join a roll call and everyone is all chatty and are sharing somewhat "personal' info (where they are from, special occassions that they may be celebrating, etc.) and if I were to join in and mention that "my kids are excited" and get cricket noises as a reply -- I might be inclined to take it as an afront.

Most roll calls, when a new person joins in, there will be a certain amount of "welcome" responses. So if I were to join up and say that my DH, DD and I have just booked this cruise to celebrate her HS graduation" and NO ONE welcomed me or even acknowledged my post, I might begin to wonder a bit, but it is probably best just to give it a pass.

I have found roll calls generally are lacking in numbers compared to the total number of people on the cruise. I am sure you will have other kids on the cruise. I know there have always been families on board. In our roll call we didnt even get welcomed :( Everyone is so concerned about the tours they are thinking about (Which is helpful but it would be nice to meet more families).

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

I understand where you are coming from. We will be cruising with our young kids at xmas and has seen some VERY nastty things on the forums about kids and the desire of some for kids to be banned from areas on the ships. The overall negative tone has me quick anxious now about going. Don't get me wrong not everyone have been anti kids but those who are are so vocal about it I am concerned what we will find on the ship :( so sad some are like this

I understand where you are coming from. We will be cruising with our young kids at xmas and has seen some VERY nastty things on the forums about kids and the desire of some for kids to be banned from areas on the ships. The overall negative tone has me quick anxious now about going. Don't get me wrong not everyone have been anti kids but those who are are so vocal about it I am concerned what we will find on the ship :( so sad some are like this

I'm right there with you. What an awful thread. If it makes you feel better, the last time we cruised with HAL our daughter was just completely spoiled by the crew and passengers. In the 8 years I've been on cc, I have noticed that that particular board has gotten very negative. To the point where a LOT of the regular cruisers are now former cc posters :( thank goodness for facebook.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

I'm sorry so many of you with younger kids have felt badly when posting on a roll call board. We started cruising when my older one was 9 going on 10 and my younger one was a bit over 5. We chose Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas as our first ship and since it had so many family friendly things, I didn't get that feeling. Our roll call was a great group, and many of us are still friends today (both on CC and other venues like FB).

Even when sailing now with them (they are 16 and almost 12) sometimes I'll post to a roll call and not feel like anyone saw my post. I think that sometimes things get overlooked so I try not to take it too personally. But to have truly negative comments posted, especially for a Christmas cruise, is just rude. So many people cruise over the school holidays with kids that it would be unusual to expect to cruise without them.

We all laugh and say that all of the kids with parents who don't pay attention to what they are doing, or let their kids run wild in the halls or dining room, etc. NEVER post on CC since we all have the best kids in the world and we're the best parents LOL!! But seriously, I think that anyone who takes the time to read these boards, and post their thoughts and comments, is aware of other people and their surroundings and know that kids should be watched on a ship as much if not more than at home. Yes, we're all on vacation, but that doesn't mean I get a vacation from being a parent.

Please don't be put off by some of the not so friendly posts you read. You'll have a wonderful time, and your children will love it.

We are cruising with our twin DDs on Celebrity over Christmas (2014) and I finally posted on the roll call trying to find some more connections with other families. Like you, I felt like a pariah at first - afraid to talk about joining an excursion with children! :eek: I decided to take the lead and post a message looking for families - maybe a unique thread may show up - I often wondered if there should be a separate roll call but that just defeats the purpose. We all sit back and become hesitant to jump in because someone might not like our kids - hopefully someone will read the roll call post who wants to know my family because of my children.

I also think we need to stop apologizing for the things that other parents / children do and promise that our kids are and will be angels. Let's just make sure our children appreciate everyone on board. I think the more people my children meet over their lifetime makes them better. I want them to have manners and not be afraid to say hello to anyone older or younger. No texting or staring at a screen - compliment someone on their necklace, necktie or tattoo!!! Ask an older adult what their favorite invention has been in their life or their favorite car.... Learn to speak clearly and loudly when addressing an adult and engage in conversations.

Our children do not have to exist in a bubble but co-exist with all "makes and models" of human beings. Cruising is a great opportunity to test drive their skills and if done correctly - it will be appreciated.

I also think we need to stop apologizing for the things that other parents / children do and promise that our kids are and will be angels. Let's just make sure our children appreciate everyone on board. I think the more people my children meet over their lifetime makes them better. I want them to have manners and not be afraid to say hello to anyone older or younger. No texting or staring at a screen - compliment someone on their necklace, necktie or tattoo!!! Ask an older adult what their favorite invention has been in their life or their favorite car.... Learn to speak clearly and loudly when addressing an adult and engage in conversations.

Our children do not have to exist in a bubble but co-exist with all "makes and models" of human beings. Cruising is a great opportunity to test drive their skills and if done correctly - it will be appreciated.

well said cruiserjt :):)

AlohaPride - I will be looking on facebook for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Your kids will have a great time...the kids clubs are very popular on the Christmas cruises. We have cruised virtually every Christmas/New Year on HAL since 2005 and the kids always seem to be having a great time. They even get a visit from Santa on Christmas Day. With Christmas being our summer holidays, you can expect there to be plenty of kids onboard.

Barb