Nassau

CruiseFan3035

We've been to Nassau quite a few times but the last time this past September wasn't all the great. Since the straw market was rebuilt, we found the people to be very rude and some of the stores not even worth walking in to. While we are accustomed to shopping and walking around the different ports and getting acquainted with the culture, we have found this particular port to be less than average. Forget going to Atlantis unless you plan on putting a second mortgage on your home especially if you're traveling with kids or a group of people. To me, Nassau has the potential to be a beautiful place with great people but sadly that's just not the case. Anyone else have any opinions, ideas, suggestions, please feel free to share.

Me

After you have gone to the Straw Market once, no need to return IMHO. Lots of different people selling the exact same thing.

The last 3 times we have gone to Junkanoo beach and enjoy it quite a bit. There is a bar, clean public restrooms and the beach is clean. You can get 3 beers and 3 shots for $10. Also, fresh coconuts are $3. The same people have worked there for the last couple of years and are really nice.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We've been to Nassau quite a few times but the last time this past September wasn't all the great. Since the straw market was rebuilt, we found the people to be very rude and some of the stores not even worth walking in to. While we are accustomed to shopping and walking around the different ports and getting acquainted with the culture, we have found this particular port to be less than average. Forget going to Atlantis unless you plan on putting a second mortgage on your home especially if you're traveling with kids or a group of people. To me, Nassau has the potential to be a beautiful place with great people but sadly that's just not the case. Anyone else have any opinions, ideas, suggestions, please feel free to share.

Me

Why not try Carnival's new Balmoral Beach excursion? You can use your Sail & Sign card there.

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/424090

After you have gone to the Straw Market once, no need to return IMHO. Lots of different people selling the exact same thing.

The last 3 times we have gone to Junkanoo beach and enjoy it quite a bit. There is a bar, clean public restrooms and the beach is clean. You can get 3 beers and 3 shots for $10. Also, fresh coconuts are $3. The same people have worked there for the last couple of years and are really nice.

My husband and I have enjoyed Junkanoo Beach, as well. It's not fancy, but it makes for a quiet beach day away from the crowds. The last few times we went, we took our snorkel gear and saw a few fish.

We've also had a great time at the Junkanoo Museum, the Pirate Museum, and Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. We've done all of these on our own and really enjoyed setting our own schedule for the day rather than being confined to a Carnival excursion.

My sister and her husband went to the Sheraton for a day on their last visit and had good things to say about that.

You may also want to look up the People-to-People Program. They arrange for Bahamians with like interests to show you around the island. It can be hit or miss, though. I've read about people who had a wonderful time and those who never heard back about a reservation (myself included).

I know a lot of people write off Nassau, but there really is so much to do if you know where to look.

Happy Sailing!

Could you give directions as to how to get there from the ship? Thanks.

When you walk out of the cruise terminal walk right towards Senor Frogs. When you get to Senor Frogs veer left and follow the signs and sidewalk. Very easy to find. It is about a 12 minute walk.

I have read some reviews where people state there is lots of glass. Maybe quite some time ago but over the last 2 years they have kept the beach really clean and I have seen no glass. There was someone constantly raking and cleaning the area.

If you do a search here on CC there are lots of good pics of Junkanoo.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

When you walk out of the cruise terminal walk right towards Senor Frogs. When you get to Senor Frogs veer left and follow the signs and sidewalk. Very easy to find. It is about a 12 minute walk.

Thanks a million. It's our first port of call (less than two weeks away). :cool:

If you want a short walk, quiet beach day and good food/drinks, you could do a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton. It's on the other side of Senior Frogs and we've gone there every time we go to Nassau. We were there in September and at that time it was $60per adult, but they give you a food and drink voucher worth $40 for each adult pass purchased that you can use at the patio grill by the pool so it's like paying $20 admission and having $40 to spend by the pool. It's half the price for children over 5 I think (not sure on the exact age) and their voucher is also less but it's plenty for a kids meal and a juice or milk.

Our son was only 2 last time we went so he was free and our two adult food/drink vouchers covered a meal for each of us, a couple of beers for DH, a mixed drink for me and a pineapple juice for DS. They gave us 2 large bottles of water for free when we arrived so we were all set and offered the remaining amount on our vouchers as a tip for the awesome guy who waited on us all day. I've got a few pictures of the Hilton in the review in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter

I have read some reviews where people state there is lots of glass. Maybe quite some time ago but over the last 2 years they have kept the beach really clean and I have seen no glass. There was someone constantly raking and cleaning the area.

If you do a search here on CC there are lots of good pics of Junkanoo.

This beach is in walking distance to the port???? I've been to Nassau twice and never knew!! Both times we just kind of walked around port. :eek::confused:

We've been to Nassau many times too and have always found something fun and interesting to do. Here are some things we've done:

• Walking Tour - lots of historical and cultural buildings as well as a fort.
  • Chocolate Tour at Graycliff - Graycliff is a gorgeous historical hotel and the chocolate tour was fun (and tasty)
  • John Watling's distillery - located in a restored historical building, this is now a distillery for Bahamian rum. Free rum tasting and a short tour of the facilities
  • Fish Fry - great place for an authentic Bahamian lunch
  • Day pass at Sheraton (now Melia) - located on Cable Beach, 3 pools, nice beach, watersports
  • Day pass at RIU - all-inclusive located on gorgeous Cabbage Beach
  • Day pass at Sandals - adults-only all-inclusive resort
  • Segway Tour - The one we did is no longer operating, which is a shame because it was a total blast. But there is another tour that gets decent reviews
  • Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon - amazing experience, beautiful private island and a nice ferry ride (Blue Lagoon also has a Dolphin Swim, a Sea Lion Encounter and a beach day pass)
  • Ardastra Gardens - slightly cheesy but fun way to spend a few hours. I really enjoyed feeding the lorry parrots. We combined it with lunch at the Fish Fry.
  • Adventure powerboat ride to the Exumas - this was one of the best things we've ever done in the Bahamas but it is a full day so you'd have to be a cruise that stays late or overnight.

A few things we haven't done yet but will get to one of these days:

• foodie tour - I think there are two different tours, both sound like fun
  • day pass at Breezes
  • catamaran snorkeling trip

What's nice about Nassau and New Providence Island is that it is so easy to get around on your own, either walking or in a taxi or bus. I hope you get to see another side of Nassau this time. If you have questions about any of the tours we've done, I'll be glad to try to answer.

Junkanoo Beach is just a 12 to 15 minute walk from the port. It is just to the right of the Hilton when the ship is entering the harbor. It was very clean and enjoyable last time we were there.

2013_08_08_0154.jpg

2013_08_08_0153.jpg

2013_08_08_0151.jpg

Edited by BigDoug

Love Junkanoo Beach. They even have vendors selling food-awesome jerk chicken if you like spice :D.

On both our trips to Nassau, we have walked there and the last time it was better than the first (back in 2008- it wasn't as clean). You do have to pay for loungers if you want one- we got one and spread out our towels, since there was only two of us.

This free beach is right next door to the pay beach @ the British Colonial- I say keep your day pass money and head over to the free part. (JMO)

Happy Sailing!!!

Junkanoo Beach is just a 12 to 15 minute walk from the port. It is just to the right of the Hilton when the ship is entering the harbor. It was very clean and enjoyable last time we were there.

2013_08_08_0154.jpg

2013_08_08_0153.jpg

2013_08_08_0151.jpg

Thanks for the information and photos. I have family going there for a second, and for some a third time in a few months, and they didn't want to do a tour, hit the straw market, but are still in a toss up about Atlantis. This will give them another option to spend part of the day. Again, Thanks.

OMG all these posts are awesome. I never knew about all the things you could do there. We ALWAYS walked the market but after this last trip and bring insulted, we said no more. Sadly (well maybe not now that I know there's more to do) we have two cruises planned this year and both stop at Nassau. We will definitely have to look into some of these things. Thank you!!!

Me

We've been to Nassau many times too and have always found something fun and interesting to do. Here are some things we've done:

• Walking Tour - lots of historical and cultural buildings as well as a fort.
  • Chocolate Tour at Graycliff - Graycliff is a gorgeous historical hotel and the chocolate tour was fun (and tasty)
  • John Watling's distillery - located in a restored historical building, this is now a distillery for Bahamian rum. Free rum tasting and a short tour of the facilities
  • Fish Fry - great place for an authentic Bahamian lunch
  • Day pass at Sheraton (now Melia) - located on Cable Beach, 3 pools, nice beach, watersports
  • Day pass at RIU - all-inclusive located on gorgeous Cabbage Beach
  • Day pass at Sandals - adults-only all-inclusive resort
  • Segway Tour - The one we did is no longer operating, which is a shame because it was a total blast. But there is another tour that gets decent reviews
  • Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon - amazing experience, beautiful private island and a nice ferry ride (Blue Lagoon also has a Dolphin Swim, a Sea Lion Encounter and a beach day pass)
  • Ardastra Gardens - slightly cheesy but fun way to spend a few hours. I really enjoyed feeding the lorry parrots. We combined it with lunch at the Fish Fry.
  • Adventure powerboat ride to the Exumas - this was one of the best things we've ever done in the Bahamas but it is a full day so you'd have to be a cruise that stays late or overnight.

A few things we haven't done yet but will get to one of these days:

• foodie tour - I think there are two different tours, both sound like fun
  • day pass at Breezes
  • catamaran snorkeling trip

What's nice about Nassau and New Providence Island is that it is so easy to get around on your own, either walking or in a taxi or bus. I hope you get to see another side of Nassau this time. If you have questions about any of the tours we've done, I'll be glad to try to answer.

Sorry - I hijacked...... can you tell me what time the chocolate tour and rum tour starts? I want to go to the Fish Fry, but looking for something to do before they start serving lunch. We are only in port till 4pm. TIA > Michele

We go to the Blue Lagoon. Its secure, gorgeous, and the only unfriendly people we encountered were chair hogs (guess they aren't just onboard.)

And the sea lions are so delightful, we are going back to do the encounter again. Their conch fritters were fresh and wonderful and there were hammocks every where. We enjoyed Blue Lagoon so much that we specifically picked our next May itinerary just to go back to Nassau! :) Be seeing you babies in 3 weeks! Woohoo!

My second choice is the catamaran snorkel we got. Both of these ferries pick you right up at the cruise pier and drop you off less than a 10 min walk back to the cruise building.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

Sorry - I hijacked...... can you tell me what time the chocolate tour and rum tour starts? I want to go to the Fish Fry, but looking for something to do before they start serving lunch. We are only in port till 4pm. TIA > Michele

I don't think they have set tour times. We just showed up. At Graycliff, they checked to see if someone was available and there was, so we got our own private tour, just the two of us. The tour cost $10 a person and took about half an hour. Then we each got to sample a chocolate at the end.

The rum distillery tour is really informal. You go into the shop and they will give you a sample of each of the 3 rums. Then someone will walk you through the distillery building. But you can also just walk around on your own. It's free.

There are some pictures on my Enchantment of the Seas review. Here's a link. Scroll down to post #24

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1920685&page=2

The chocolate factory is closed on Sundays.

I think we are doing the British Colonial hilton. The proximity to the ship and the cleanliness of the beach are definite pluses. I'm all about convenience and after doing a snorkeling trip in Freeport the day before it will be a good quiet beach day. Can you buy the day passes right at the hotel or do you have to order ahead of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes Atlantis will cost an arm and a leg (and perhaps a couple of other bodily parts) but I think it was worth paying for to go at least once. It was quite an experience. The food on the Atlantis property is fabulous and it does make you feel like you are indeed in the caribbean and the cocktails were out of this world:D Costly yes........but worth it for one day...I believe so. There is no way you can walk off that property and say that it wasnt worth it......but I didnt book it through Carnival....

Edited by Monarch523

Been there twice, in 2003 and again in 2012. Both times we went to Atlantis with day passes, both times it was my favorite day of my cruise. But I've basically ONLY seen Atlantis, and whatever we saw out the window on the shuttle to and from.

And I don't remember having to take out a second mortgage.:)