What do you do with your stuff?

J_Viggy

I will be on my first cruise next week! I'm thinking about logistics of things - like what to do with my stuff when swimming.

If I am by the pool with my nook/wallet/purse or whatever, and decide to go in the pool, is it safe to leave things on my chair? (This is not about chair hogging, I'm talking about hopping into the pool for 5 minutes). Or should I leave all that stuff in my cabin?

I will be on my first cruise next week! I'm thinking about logistics of things - like what to do with my stuff when swimming.

If I am by the pool with my nook/wallet/purse or whatever, and decide to go in the pool, is it safe to leave things on my chair? (This is not about chair hogging, I'm talking about hopping into the pool for 5 minutes). Or should I leave all that stuff in my cabin?

I personally would not have a purse with me. Now, I always carry a purse on land, but once on a cruise I just really don't need it. Now maybe a beach bag or something to put a towel in or sunscreen etc..but not a purse. You don't need your wallet or money or anything. But if you had your nook or your iPad I wouldn't leave it out. I have heard of things going missing. My husband isn't a swimmer so I always leave it with him. Try to have someone with you that you can trust or just don't leave it. Honestly, it's just not a good idea to let it sit there...

If you are really worried about it you could get a Kyss bag. You could lock it around your chair. If someone wanted your bag bad enough they could probably get it away from the chair, but it would slow them down long enough for you to probably see them.

http://www.kyssbags.com/

My Mom has one and we have used it the Caribbean, Mexico and beaches in the US. we also used it on our cruise. I'm going to borrow it to take on our next cruise in September.

Right - no need for purse/wallet -- just need the card! So I guess my only concern is the nook. I love reading while on vacay so I want to have it with me. Maybe just throwing it under the towel or something if I take a dip for a few minutes will be ok. I can't imagine anyone would take it....

If you are really worried about it you could get a Kyss bag. You could lock it around your chair. If someone wanted your bag bad enough they could probably get it away from the chair, but it would slow them down long enough for you to probably see them.

My Mom has one and we have used it the Caribbean, Mexico and beaches in the US. we also used it on our cruise. I'm going to borrow it to take on our next cruise in September.

Wow, that's pretty slick! I like that a lot!

I pack a tote bag for my towel and whatever else I'm taking with me. I usually do not bring my iPad with me if I'm planning on swimming, but pack printed magazine or book for reading when Im laying on the lounger.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

I don't even bring a purse on the ship. All of our cash is divided into S&S and individual port envelopes and carried with all of our cruise documents. I hand my ID and credit cards to my husband to keep in his wallet. Once on board, all of that goes into the safe and doesn't come out until we get to port.

On the ship, pool side, I just have a towel, sunscreen, and my nook. I've never had anyone mess with my things if I've left them. On the beach, anything valuable stays on the ship. We take a beach bag and split the cash between us into waterproof wallets as well as our IDs and a credit card. We never leave anything of value in the beach bag (camera is waterproof).

I just keep everything in a mini LL Bean style cloth tote. E-reader, camera, sunscreen, etc... If you can get a seat on the same deck area as the pool it's not that far to glance over every once in a while. I think people are pretty honest on board since there isn't anywhere else to go.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing that. I just ordered one for our trip in May. It would be great for lots of different trips.

My daughter was on the Fascination in December with a friend. They had their ship cards, debit cards and the friends iPhone in a small purse. They were up on deck and had it on their chair there. While they were away from the chair someone took it. They reported it missing but no one turned anything in. I would be afraid of leaving my Kindle on a chair even while in the pool. I plan to carry a paperback book for reading on deck or at the beach while in port.

Thanks for sharing that. I just ordered one for our trip in May. It would be great for lots of different trips.

My daughter was on the Fascination in December with a friend. They had their ship cards, debit cards and the friends iPhone in a small purse. They were up on deck and had it on their chair there. While they were away from the chair someone took it. They reported it missing but no one turned anything in. I would be afraid of leaving my Kindle on a chair even while in the pool. I plan to carry a paperback book for reading on deck or at the beach while in port.

I agree I think those bags are a great idea! I just would be very careful and hesitant to leave anything of value on a chair. I know someone who went on a cruise and asked someone she had been talking to, but didn't really know that well to "watch her iPad" well I guess the woman fell asleep while laying in the sun and while my friend was swimming her iPad went "missing". She was pretty sure it wasn't the woman who was supposed to be watching it, but it just goes to show you, you can't leave stuff laying around. I mean yeah you can put it under a towel but on a busy deck like that there's no telling who saw you do that. Chances are someone saw an opportunity with my friend's iPad not currently being watched and just jumped on the opportunity. It's unfortunate, but what can you do? I just wouldn't leave anything that is of value to you.

This bag is a great solution to that!

Leave valuables in you room. None are needed at the pool. The only thing I ever loosest at the pool are towels, even though I try to keep my eye on the chair. I replace them when no one is looking.

I used my KYSS bag last cruise. Love it for locking up the camera/kindle. It's also very distinctive, so my kids can always find our stuff if I happen to be at the pool. I leave everything but the camera/kindle in the room and just carry around my S&S card.

Most people leave their "stuff" on their lounger with no problems. But you never know there is always the chance that you would be the exception to the rule. You will find that your fellow cruisers are a very friendly bunch and you can probably ask the person on the lounger next to you to keep an eye on your stuff for a few min. If it is very valuable leave it in your cabin and then you have no worries.

I have one of these bags and love it, it was the best investment I ever made and so worth the cost! I do still try to keep an eye on my stuff while in the pool but having the Kyss bag definitely would slow anyone down if they tried to steal my things ~ it's perfect for my suntan lotion, Nook, camera (if I take it with me) and my S&S card...I highly recommend them!!

I have a small cable lock that I use in the winter to lock up my skis/poles to the ski racks when I go in for breaks. I can weave it in the zipper hole and the straps of any bag I take with me.

I leave my skis on the pool chairs all the time and have never had them go missing:p

We were on the Fascination last fall and I had someone try to hide my ipod when I walked away. A very nice lady saw what happened from behind and told me who had it. Luckily I got it back. It was the first shorter cruise we had taken, and really noticed a difference in the overall atmosphere. I wouldn't leave anything important unattended.