Need help deciding: Carnival Cruise vs Disney World with children

Do you mind telling me your average cost to do both? I would love to do both but I'm afraid it would be way out of our price range. I'm trying to stay around $2000 but may be able to talk my DH into splurging a little bit more :)

Realistically I don't think you can do a disney cruise, even a three day one, and hit the parks for a few days for 2k. The price of tickets to magic kingdom are now $99 per person per day plus tax and unless the children are under three the price of their ticket isn't much less. I think in the $65 range. So you are looking at $300, two adults one child, just to get in the park for one day. Then add the cost of food, which is expensive, plus any purchases. One day can easy cost $500-600 for a small family.

Disney has has two ticket price increase and an increase on the cost to park your car. I love disney but I do think they are pricing out the middle income family. I have ticket stubs from 2000. Cost to enter the park? $34 per person. Ticket prices have outpaced any increases for inflation. And I wouldn't be surprised to see universal and sea world do another increase soon as they tend to follow disney in this.

Edited by BeachChik

Realistically I don't think you can do a disney cruise, even a three day one, and hit the parks for a few days for 2k. The price of tickets to magic kingdom are now $99 per person per day plus tax and unless the children are under three the price of their ticket isn't much less. I think in the $65 range. So you are looking at $300, two adults one child, just to get in the park for one day. Then add the cost of food, which is expensive, plus any purchases. One day can easy cost $500-600 for a small family.

I know the $2k is unrealistic for both. Would $3k be doable if they offer free dining? I think the cheapest disney cruise I saw was almost $2k for a 3 night. That just seems really expensive by itself. I really don't see it being possible even at $3k.

Disney has has two ticket price increase and an increase on the cost to park your car. I love disney but I do think they are pricing out the middle income family. I have ticket stubs from 2000. Cost to enter the park? $34 per person. Ticket prices have outpaced any increases for inflation. And I wouldn't be surprised to see universal and sea world do another increase soon as they tend to follow disney in this.

Now, I could do a 3 day carnival cruise out of port canaveral for $885. I'm guessing disney transportation won't take me to a carnival ship :D

I know the $2k is unrealistic for both. Would $3k be doable if they offer free dining? I think the cheapest disney cruise I saw was almost $2k for a 3 night. That just seems really expensive by itself. I really don't see it being possible even at $3k.

I don't know how many people you have so I am just guessing.

But if you can cruise for total under 2k. And visit two parks for three people, which would put you around $500-600, stay either off property or at a value resort getting a two night hotel for less then $100 per night and can catch a deal on the dining plan then I would say yes you could do it on 3k. Keeping in mind I don't know your specifics and this scenario would not leave a bunch of extra spending money.

Now, I could do a 3 day carnival cruise out of port canaveral for $885. I'm guessing disney transportation won't take me to a carnival ship :D

No but on that savings, from switching from disney to carnival, you could arrange your own transportation from disney to the port and still end up with extra money.

The Osborne Family Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios are amazing. Disney World at Christmas is a really wonderful experience. There is the Candlelight Processional and Holidays Around the World at Epcot. Magic Kingdom has a Christmas Parade and Holiday Fireworks. Also, the resorts are beautifully decorated.

I totally agree! There's nothing like it..Disney does it up big! I vote Disney, especially at their ages..such a wonderful time for children. No matter what you choose, have a great family vacation!

DO BOTH!!!!!

We are taking a short cruise on the Sensation then heading to Disney World in June... I read a thread about this some time ago and it seems a lot of people have done this and had a great time. I am excited about it.

Do both! Find a shorter cruise that leaves out of Port Canaveral. Fly into Orlando, take the Carnival transfer to the cruise ship. Then, after the cruise when you go back to the airport, take the Disney Magical Express to your Disney hotel. That's what I have done in the past.

We did the combo many times as our kids were growing up. I highly recommend that you do Disney / Universal first, followed by the cruise. The parks are exhausting, and doing the cruise second is the perfect way to recover!!! :)We have done 5 day cruises from Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Jacksonville, so plenty of choices!!

Edited by Jamman54

Do you mind telling me your average cost to do both? I would love to do both but I'm afraid it would be way out of our price range. I'm trying to stay around $2000 but may be able to talk my DH into splurging a little bit more :)

It cost us closer to $4k back in 2001 for a family of 4 for a 4 day Disney World and 3 day Disney Wonder but that included airfare too.

On our 2nd Disney Cruise we did not pay for Disney Transport. I found it was much less expensive to book our own shuttle from Orlando (even got a limo on the way down that past the Disney Shuttle like it was standing still). Our friends planned everything on our first cruise (actually they let the TA plan it). Since DH and I like to save our $$$ I learned to start doing the planning when we traveled with them after that trip.

Disney cruise with a few days at Disney. Even a 4 day is awesome. And I don't even have kids, but I do like the parks and we did our first DCL last year after CCl and I don't think I can go back on a CCL. Disney was wonderful, absolutely family upscale vacation at its best. We don't pay much more than we did for CCL, even though we might 'sacrifice' a sea day (on CCL which would be bingo and trivia). We are cruising a 4 day for $600 (including taxes, port fees AND prepaid gratuity!) for two of us next month thanks to a 10% off voucher, our Disney rewards cards (over $800+ in rewards and incentives in a year) and booking ahead of time. We are tacking on a few days in the parks.

Gonna be an unbelievable trip. I will qualify that I avoid all vacations during holiday times. I love thanksgiving time because we take the camper out to the woods and ride four wheelers and dune buggies all week. We went to WDW the week of Thanksgiving once and we agreed we would NEVER EVER do it again. You can see the lights anytime in late November/entire month of December and it doesn't have to be right on the holiday week. In fact, early December is a good time for WDW.

These are just my suggestions. I hate to sound negative, but I used to get so excited for cruises, but there was absolutely no magic stepping on the CCL Dream last year and I was happy to debark and go back to the parks. There just really isn't anything 'special' or 'magical' about Carnival. It takes you to some beautiful islands though! But the Disney cruises and vacations REALLY ARE special, and my 3 day Disney cruise has kept me sunny and living vicariously through those memories for a year.

Thankfully my next 4 day is coming VERY VERY CLOSE!

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

We did the combo many times as our kids were growing up. I highly recommend that you do Disney / Universal first, followed by the cruise. The parks are exhausting, and doing the cruise second is the perfect way to recover!!! :)We have done 5 day cruises from Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Jacksonville, so plenty of choices!!

A combo cruise worked out well for us last year. And this year my kids will leave early before us with family and do Disney stuff and we join them a day or two before the cruise. I love Disney and Universal is nice as well. But yes all of the parks are exhausting. A combo is perfect and usually less money than a short Disney cruise alone unless you've got some special formula to make it less than outrageous in terms of pricing. The kids will enjoy whatever you do for them. It's a blessing and so wonderful to be able to do these type of things with your kids.

I'm a Cast-Member at Disney World, so of course I'm bias to Disney... ;)

But nothing beats Disney at Christmastime. Since you will be going in early December, you will beat the crowds later that month.

Y'all should look into Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party too! Just going off the ages of your boys, seems like they would enjoy it.

Have fun in whatever you do! :)

Great question - we went to Disney 4 or 5 times (we love it) and then on a whim we decided to take a Carnival Cruise. We are hooked, so much so that we took two cruises last summer (for the cost of Disney World for a week). We will definitely go back to Disney, but no longer yearly.

We really enjoy not having to wait in lines, walk for miles every day, and all the extra expenses for food.

My son is 10 years old.

Either way, you'll have a great time making memories :)

My suggestion for you (and we have done this with our own family) is to plan 7 night WDW/DCL experience in December. I recommend a 3 night stay at WDW with park hopper tickets and a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream! You get to experience WDW with all the Christmas trimmings (be sure to hotel-hop to see all the fantastic decorations) and the 4 night cruise allows you to experience all four rotational restaurants and fireworks at sea after a day at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay.

I'm a Cast-Member at Disney World, so of course I'm bias to Disney... ;)

But nothing beats Disney at Christmastime. Since you will be going in early December, you will beat the crowds later that month.

Y'all should look into Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party too! Just going off the ages of your boys, seems like they would enjoy it.

Have fun in whatever you do! :)

How does the MVMCP work? I've heard of it but didn't know if you have regular admission that day, if you are able to see it.

How does the MVMCP work? I've heard of it but didn't know if you have regular admission that day, if you are able to see it.

It's a special ticketed event - the park closes for all other guests. The MVMCP event ticket allows you to enter the park as early as 4. The price depends on the day of the week and week during Nov/Dec that you go. It gets more expensive as it gets closer to Christmas, and doesn't continue all the way to Christmas. This year I believe the last day it was held was Dec. 22.

Not to hijack my own thread but what do you all think about a split stay between Disney & Universal? We've never been to Universal so I'm not sure if my boys are old enough. They are not into thrill rides yet. They like rides like Star Tours & Test Track at Disney.

Universal does have a lot of thrill rides, but they'll probably enjoy attractions like Amazing Adventures of Spider Man, Suess Landing, and Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure, as well as the Despicable Me and The Simpsons rides (both motion simulators similar to Star Tours), Men in Black Alien Attack (a shooting game like Buzz Lightyear), and ET Adventure at Universal Studios. They also have some entertaining shows at Universal Studios. I'd say if you aren't doing the big thrill rides, you could easily cover all of Universal/IoA in 1-2 days.

We are looking at November 30-December 5. We definitely prefer low crowds. I've heard that was a good time to go. Not sure though?

That week will be medium busy as you'll have thanksgiving crowds. Not crazy like Christmas, which is the worst. Disney offers discounts to us Florida residents but blacks out the busiest days, when the park is jammed anyway...

*The following blockout dates for the Florida Resident 3-Day Ticket and 4-Day Ticket apply: April 12 – April 25, 2014; June 7 – August 14, 2014; December 18 – January 2, 2015; March 28 – April 10, 2015; June 6 – August 13, 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We went to disney world in November 2 weeks before thanksgiving. It was perfect!!! Weather was nice and crowds were low. The longest wait time was 15 minutes for a ride. Christmas decorations were out and we attended the Christmas party at magic kingdom. It was awesome!!! I highly recommend disney world at that time of year.

Early-mid Sept, mid-late Jan, and early Nov are the best times... When everyone is in school.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm a Mom of 3 boys, now men (ages 25, 21 and 14), and I would say that 2 cruises that close together MIGHT not make them as special as they should be! If it were me, I'd go to Disney in Dec or if you have more than 4 days, include Universal or SeaWorld. You could save $$ by moving off Disney property for a couple of your last nights near the other parks.

We did 3 trips to Disney when the boys were young and unlike others posting here, did not exhaust ourselves each day. We choose to stay on-site and would take a nice long break back at the hotel pool in the middle of the day and rest. If we didn't ride every attraction on the list...who cares? It was more important to not be rushed and stressed out! We had wonderful trips to WDW and the boys all loved it...but were happy to move on to cruises, the Caribbean, California, Yellowstone, Alaska and Europe for vacations when they got older.

Happy planning!

Lynne

Your kids are such a perfect age for Disney World. The first week of December is such a PERFECT time for Disney World. Be careful when people say December is the worst time, because I bet they are talking about later in December. The first week the weather is sunny (although you may wake to find it rained overnight) and in the 80's. The crowds are low. Usually later in the day, they let you just stay in your seat if you want to ride again...yes it's that uncrowded. The prices are reduced (too bad not the park prices) and that time of year usually has specials like free dining plans when staying at a Disney resort, even the value ones. We usually get a minivan or SUV rental for $200 for the week, and the airfare is usually the lowest of the year. The Christmas atmosphere just makes it all more fun.

We tried Disney World in August once and wouldn't do it again for free. Standing in hours long lines in the high 90s degrees and humidity was unbearable. In fact, when my kids got older and I didn't want them to miss school is why I tried Disney in August...yuck! It is why I ended up looking for a vacation that better handled the crowds and hotness that a Summer vacation brings. I found cruising.

My kids (19, 16, 13) still enjoy Disney World and our yearly vacations are either there or a cruise. We all don't like Disney World in Summer and cruises during the school year. Their worst cruise was in November because there were hardly any other kids on board. My daughter actually had 3 camp counselors to herself most times. She loved her 3 big sisters but it was still not as fun as having a lot of kids her own age to play with.

Just some more to consider...enjoy your trip whatever you decide.

We did 3 trips to Disney when the boys were young and unlike others posting here, did not exhaust ourselves each day.

So much this! On a 8 day vacation, we usually only go to parks 3 or 4 of the days. It is exhausting and makes kids and adults stressed, cranky, tired, and overstimulated running the parks every day. We take a day in between to go out to Clearwater or Cocoa Beach, or swim at the resort and go to the dinner show, or do a half day of shopping and dinner at a nice place, or just sleep in for half a day and do something easy that night. So many people drag their little ones when the gates open until the fireworks at night, then try the same thing the next day. You can identify them as the ones with the crying kids and screaming adults, "WHY are you crying in middle of Disney World? Do you know how much I paid to get in here??"

Theme park or cruise, relax! It's vacation!

Not to hijack my own thread but what do you all think about a split stay between Disney & Universal? We've never been to Universal so I'm not sure if my boys are old enough. They are not into thrill rides yet. They like rides like Star Tours & Test Track at Disney.

You don't have to split your stay. Even if you stay on Disney property, Universal is just 5 miles up the highway...maybe 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic. I usually recommend Disney for younger and Universal for teens, but both are just great for whatever age. If anything, Universal probably has more of those Star Tours and Test Track type rides than Disney. Universal tickets cost just as much per day, but you can get nice discounts on tickets whereas Disney tickets have little to no discounts.