First Cruise Sleeping and Packing Questions

caleighjanet

We've sailed with a balcony cabin on Enchantment twice. You'll be able to get ready with both of you in the room. Unless both of you are severely anorexic, you'll only have room for one of you to be in the bathroom at a time, but we've had three in one of their cabins and survived beautifully. One showers, then moves to the room where there is a dresser, mirror and chair. That person does the rest of the getting ready at the dresser while the other one showers and does their thing in the bathroom. By the time the third one was ready to shower, the first one was sitting on the balcony having a drink. We mix and match outfits using a couple of colors (blacks/beige) and a few colors for the tops that can go with each. Keep in mind, you'll probably purchase a t-shirt or two also. Don't go crazy with shoes. I carry a pair of shoes that can go with a nice pair of slack and a sparkly top for formal night and that can still be used with a pair of slacks or capris for a more casual look. I've given up the stilettos. I carry a nice pair of dressy flats. Easier to walk on the deck, stairs (which are everywhere) and I'm comfy. There are lots of areas where the floors can be slick from a spill or suntan lotion or just the fact that there is LOTS of tile on a ship.

I've given up the stilettos. I carry a nice pair of dressy flats. Easier to walk on the deck, stairs (which are everywhere) and I'm comfy. There are lots of areas where the floors can be slick from a spill or suntan lotion or just the fact that there is LOTS of tile on a ship.

I can see this being one of my problems. I love my stilettos. Actually 90% of my dress shoes are some sort of high heel. Thanks for the advice though, I don't want to break my ankle or leg on vacay lol. I'll have to search for a cute pair of flats this week that will match my dresses. I already grabbed some really nice sandals so I've got that covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the enchantment definintly has slick open deck space around the pools, especially later in the afternoon before dinner after ice from the bar has been melting and water dribbling around to low spots

there is a gentle sloping of the decking there too so it would be best to leave the high heels off if going up on deck

but at dinner and at the shows we see people wearing them, but a twisted ankle or broken one is a downer

my wife has suffered for years with long term knee problems caused by a broken leg and ankle while wearing not exactly high heels 30 some years ago! she was walking on some uneven ground and took a stumble that dislocated her ankle before shattering her leg as she tried to stay up!

the ship is always a movin too!

Another suggestion as far as the Windjammer, we would go and get our plate of food and then bring it back to the pool deck table that we lived at, in the smoking area, for our cruise. They do come out on the pool deck to pick up the plates from time to time.

Sent from my ME302KL using Forums mobile app

hi Debbie,

that's what we did, I enjoy a cigar early after chowing down for breakfast, Id say the only reservation I had about the whole "enchantment experience" that was less than what I'd expect is that they didn't have a lot of staff dedicated to clean up out on the pool deck

plenty of bartenders, plenty of guys back and forth taking food to the buffet but not a lot of staffers on clean up

it didn't ruin our cruise, and I sort of like those heavy ashtrays but they did stink

anyway, I'd like to cruise that ship again as long as it stays right there in cape C

hi Debbie,

Id say the only reservation I had about the whole "enchantment experience" that was less than what I'd expect is that they didn't have a lot of staff dedicated to clean up out on the pool deck plenty of bartenders, plenty of guys back and forth taking food to the buffet but not a lot of staffers on clean up - it didn't ruin our cruise, and I sort of like those heavy ashtrays but they did stink

And often overflowed from my experience. I will submit to all the non-smoking rules now on RCI, and smoke in only the few areas I`m now allowed.

This does not make me an untidy pig, however. Consigning the smokers to a few small corrals and then rarely emptying the ashtrays is heartless. Is this an unstated message from the cruise line that smokers should experience shame? Do they similarly feel excessive gamblers and drinkers should be faced with their shame?

Anyway, I did not purchase a vacation to try to enjoy a legal cigarette in one of the only places on board I can, to be confronted with a filthy, overflowing, smelly ashtray.

zounds like wassup had a similar take?

often when people bring up a topic, they reference "on such and such cruise line they do it this way (which is infinitly better) then the discussion turns into a rant about what's wrong with the ship or line you are on at the time

so that's why I didn't mention other lines in the discussion, but I wondered why they didn't empty those huge ashtrays more often, and sometimes they had the fire going in them, AND also in that smoking area the tables weren't bussed very well, BUT we noticed the bussing issues in other pool deck areas as well so I wouldn't pin it to just smokers

and yea one cruise line we sail on uses just plain ole plastic ashtrays but they are pretty good at emptying them since they are the open type

other cruise lines we have sailed on use the "topped" small plastic ashtrays where you can put out the cigarette or cigar and you lift the top and everything falls underneath

anyway, hitting a jimmy buffett concert tomorrow night in charlotte, THE WORLD WILL BE OUR TOILET, AND ASHTRAY! and trash dump....for a few hours.....

but we digress

I can see this being one of my problems. I love my stilettos. Actually 90% of my dress shoes are some sort of high heel. Thanks for the advice though, I don't want to break my ankle or leg on vacay lol. I'll have to search for a cute pair of flats this week that will match my dresses. I already grabbed some really nice sandals so I've got that covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are going to be on the ship for only 4 days. You only need at most 2 pair of shoes. One for casual day and one for nicer night,

DON

spoken like a true man!

I got one pair of shoes! if you don't count a pair of flip flops and deck\pool shoes you can wear in the water

my wife, at least 6 real pairs of shoes, a set of flip flops and no telling how many she has snuck in!!!!! for a five day cruise, a five day cruise!

I have shared a cabin with my sister my last 2 cruises and she sounds like an injured bear when she sleeps. I found that foam earplugs(available at Lowes or Home Depot) work wonders at drowning her out. They are light and comfortable.

You just described my sister! :)

More than just planning- schedule your clothes. My wife actually schedules everything she will wear (using the itinerary). And even with that, she always tells me that she brought too much.

For the most part, if you brought too little, the shops on board will be able to fill you in. So don't worry too much about that. Almost every trip, my wife buys a new dress.. :D (for fun)

+1 on have fun!!!

I do the same thing with scheduling clothes - the DH and I usually travel with our 3 boys. I print a blank calendar for each of us with the itinerary written in and while we are packing, we write in exactly what we need for the day based on what we are doing and put it in the top of the suitcase. We don't over pack, but we can always swap around outfits if we change our mind. The boys usually wear a souvenir T-shirt on debarkation day, so one less thing to pack.

With regard to your space issue, we have even done 2 of our cruises with all 5 of us in one stateroom (that was a little crowded, but manageable). We just rotate in and out of the bathroom. You won't have a problem and no need to stress - you are on vacation!:)

• 3 weeks later...
My wife has the same complaint about my snoring. I use Breathe Rite spray and it is a big help. I found the strips would often fall off.

My wiffe also has a "Sound Machine" that produces background noise to drown me out.

My wife solves the problem by kicking me in the side :)

If this hasn't already been mentioned...to all of those who are snorers.

PLEASE GET A sleep study done! you might have undiagnosed sleep apnea.

Yes, talk to your doctor and get to a sleep clinic. My husband used to snore (I thought the neighbours would complain he was so loud) and then he went to a sleep clinic and he has sleep apnea. So now he has a CPAP machine, and he doesn't snore! And, he feels better too.