Silver Cloud 1516 (Lisbon to London) Sailing Cancelled

Dover Duo

Just received word from our travel agent that Voyage 1516, the May 29, 2015 sailing from Lisbon to Tower Bridge, which had been Wait List Only, has been cancelled. Very disappointing, since it was family trip for which we had three cabins booked since the week that 2015 reservations opened up. Does anyone have any details?

Sounds like a charter to me. It's difficult to fault Silversea for opting for the charter if they can sell an entire ship with the stroke of a pen on a contract. I infer from your message that the contract had been pending for some time. Thus, their not taking any firm reservations but instead giving people positions on a wait list *if* the cruise took place.

Are you saying that you had a confirmed booking on this cruise when you booked it shortly after 2015 cruises were announced? In that case, Silversea is doubtless offering you some compensation. Over the years, I have been booked on two Silversea cruises that were later cancelled, and I thought that the compensation offered was quite reasonable -- even generous.

Yes, we're now on board the Cloud and found out for this cruise, the cloud is chartered...alas. I checked with Chistiane, Cloud's cruise consultant ten days ago for another couple who had booked this cruise for their 50th anniversary.

Unfortunately Booking early with Silversea is now becoming too much of a Lottery due to much later WaitListing and then Cancellation due to a Charter. We too have had our early May 2015 Back to Back Cloud Cruise cancelled. Initially the 2nd Segment which resulted in us not wanting to just take the 1st. - I now see that the 1st is also cancelled.

Whilst I am pleased that we are not being forced to sail with a Part Charter, due to past problems, it is regrettable that Guests who want to Book early, probably to celebrate a Special Occasion, are being inconvenienced. However I do clearly see the economic advantage from the Company perspective.

There is no easy answer to this - we have moved to The Wind and received acceptable compensation but it still niggles that we are unable to sail on our favourite ship, The Cloud.

The compensation being offered is what I assume to be Silversea's standard -- an additional 10% on any future sailing prior to 12/31/15 (except World or Expedition sailings), applied after any applicable combination, on-board or Venetian Society savings (so, in reality, much less than 10% of the posted fares). I say standard, because it is the same compensation we were offered two years ago when an on-board booking on the Wind was cancelled, although that was at least for dry-dock work.

This booking was also made on-board, with Cristiane, for a 60th birthday celebration with other family members. It was a unique itinerary, with a stop at Honfleur on D-Day and a Tower Bridge arrival.

We're still Silversea fans, and understand why it is to Silversea's advantage to sell the entire ship "with the stroke of a pen,' but can't help feeling sorely abused at having such a wonderful experience sold out from underneath us.

I don't know when it became Wait List Only, but it must have only been in the past month or so (it wasn't there the last time I checked the itinerary).

It is highly unlikely that they were fully booked when passengers seeking to book were wait-listed.

Charters are normally taken on option so that the line agrees contractually to vacate the slot to current cruise bookings if the charter firms up. Otherwise nothing progresses. That will mean that once a charter option is taken up by an intended charterer normally with a holding deposit, the cruise line will prefer to take all future bookings from that point as wait-listed rather than firm. That approach has two advantages. It causes least disruption if the charter progresses to firm, and gives the false.impression of high occupancy.