Bug Spray

Tennant

Is bug spray needed in May? We will be doing some hiking in the woods so I'm guessing yes. Any recommendations or is standard bug spray that you would use at home OK? Not sure if we needed to buy heavy duty stuff or if I can use the lighter stuff I usually buy for the summer in Chicago.

Thanks!

We have been twice in May (getting ready for a 3rd visit) and haven't had any problems...However it can depend on where you'll be going...Consider (just in case) buying the "OFF" brand individual wrapped towelettes...you can purchase a box of them at WalMart..these are much more convenient to take along with you when you travel.

I would suggest 100% DEET. We were up in Denali last June at the summer solstice and the mosquitos were HORRID! You know the OFF commercial where a swarm of them head toward some person who is supposedly protected by invisible "bubble" - yeah - the mosquitoes are just like that in the Denali area, but the OFF wipes didn't do a darn thing to repel them (at least from the people we saw using them). We used 100% DEET and sprayed it over everything - clothes, hair, even put some on our hands and then wiped it on our faces. I can say, we didn't get bit by a single mosquito!

We were slapping at mosquitoes tonight while the kids were outside finding Easter eggs... So there'll be bugs.

I use Ben's 100 Max. http://www.rei.com/product/784606/bens-100-max-formula-insect-repellent-95-percent-deet-125-fl-oz

It might be overkill, but I hate the bugs.

Do you think a bottle that size would be enough for 2 people spending about 4 days in the Seward/Anchorage/Denali area in July?

Do you think a bottle that size would be enough for 2 people spending about 4 days in the Seward/Anchorage/Denali area in July?

It should be... It's fairly potent stuff so you don't have to spray it on thick. Just a couple of squirts and rub it in.

Are the mosquitos only a problem in the ports/on land, or while we're actually sailing too?

TIA Samantha

You’re unlikely to be bothered on the ship, in town or anytime it’s breezy. We don’t apply bug dope unless we’re camping or hiking, usually. I do admit that there are times I’d just rather accept the threat of a bite or two rather than slathering up with bug dope.

• 2 weeks later...
Is Ben's ok for nylon /synthetic clothes? In the old days some bug sprays would ruin the fishing shirts that I don't want to ruin.

TIA

sightcrr

I think they have changed formulations or maybe it depends on the brand?

I would check a small area of clothing first but in the end, when we went to New Zealand and wanted protection from the sandflies, I tell you I was fully prepared to sacrifice my clothing to get rid of the sandflies. They were lethal. I would do the same for swarms of mosquitos. :)

I personally choose to steer clear of Deet:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/05/best-way-to-stop-bug-bites/index.htm

But products with 95 percent or more deet have been linked with serious side effects, including seizures, slurred speech, and coma. It can also cause eye irritation and allergic reactions. Our experts recommend using no more than 30 percent deet, ever. If you’re, say, on an overnight camping trip and need long-term bug protection, reapply a product with 15 percent deet (such as Off FamilyCare Smooth & Dry spray) and use it sparingly. Each application will protect you from mosquito and tick bites for at least 8 hours.

The US organisation Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lists DEET, picaridin and lemon eucalyptus oil as effective insect repellents.

In more than 50 years’ use there have been fewer than 50 cases of significant reactions to DEET, and these are usually associated with swallowing the repellent or with long-term heavy or whole-body use. But some people could experience skin problems, especially if they use it in high concentrations or in large quantities for several days. DEET may damage synthetic fibres and plastics.

An alternative (which we used against sandflies that are more agressive than most mosquitoes is Picaridin. A new semi-natural deterent. It doesn't damage clothing.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/insect-repellents/types-of-repellent