Hawaii Experience? Which Luau & Why?

silvercrikhix

I find all the commercial luaus pretty schlocky with mediocre food.

The Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu probably has the best show. The only commercial luau I go to on Oahu is the Hale Koa luau for many reasons, two of which are it is in Waikiki so I can walk to it and leave if/when I want and it is inexpensive, relatively speaking.

On Maui the Old Lahaina Luau is considered the best (Feast at Lele from the same people is more dinner show, less luau).

On Kauai The Smith Family Luau is the oldest and most respected. Not sure if that makes it the best, but it is what it is.

If you can check the date you are going and can find a church or community luau, that is where I would go.

I find all the commercial luaus pretty schlocky with mediocre food.

The Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu probably has the best show. The only commercial luau I go to on Oahu is the Hale Koa luau for many reasons, two of which are it is in Waikiki so I can walk to it and leave if/when I want and it is inexpensive, relatively speaking.

On Maui the Old Lahaina Luau is considered the best (Feast at Lele from the same people is more dinner show, less luau).

On Kauai The Smith Family Luau is the oldest and most respected. Not sure if that makes it the best, but it is what it is.

If you can check the date you are going and can find a church or community luau, that is where I would go.

Thank you for your reply.

Schlocky & mediocre meal is what I was kind of wondering about too!

We would like to experience a luau, for the dancing/hula portion and at least moderately good food.

Anyone else have experience(s) they could share?

We have been to the shows mentioned by scottca075 and a few others and the PCC is hands down the best. However, it is an all day experience if you really want to fully see all that the PCC has to offer. Also note that the PCC is owned by the Mormon Church so no drinking.

My second choice for a more traditional experience (by our standards) is the OLL, but it too has a downside; no fire dancing. The OLL's show tries to stay traditional Hawaiian, which means no fire dancing (it is Somoan). Overall though an excellent 3 hour evening.

Smith's would be my #3. Everything is fine, just not exceptional. Unlike the OLL, it is not on the waterfront (neither is the PCC).

Not much IMO on the Big Island; nothing that really stands out anyway. However, I am sure there are some. Many of the big hotels will have one.

If you have the time and the money, I would recommend going to the PCC one day (means staying on Ohau at least one night) and then also go to OLL. Both very good, but totally different experiences. Check out all their websites and decide from there. I know, it is not easy. It mainly comes down to your likes and dislikes, the time you have available, and where you are when you have it.

We have done the Old Lahaina Luau and really enjoyed it so we are going back this coming September.

As for the island of Hawaii, the Royal Kona Resort has a nice luau. Or I should say it was nice in 2003 when we went. :o

To be fair it does still have good reviews on Tripadvisor.

There is the Imu presentation and the show does have a fire dance. The location is great as you get the sun setting early on behind the stage.

Edited by PCWalton1

The articles I've read by professional travel writers generally rate the OLL as the top luau. It's only Hawaiian entertainment & thus doesn't have fire dancers but for me it easily beats other luaus. Feast at Lele is a sitdown dinner show on the beach depicting 4 Polynesian cultures (Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa & New Zealand food & entertainment) & it does have fire dancers.

Both are very popular & they can book up months in advance so don't hesitate if booking either one. ;)

We have been to the shows mentioned by scottca075 and a few others and the PCC is hands down the best. However, it is an all day experience if you really want to fully see all that the PCC has to offer. Also note that the PCC is owned by the Mormon Church so no drinking.

My second choice for a more traditional experience (by our standards) is the OLL, but it too has a downside; no fire dancing. The OLL's show tries to stay traditional Hawaiian, which means no fire dancing (it is Somoan). Overall though an excellent 3 hour evening.

Smith's would be my #3. Everything is fine, just not exceptional. Unlike the OLL, it is not on the waterfront (neither is the PCC).

Not much IMO on the Big Island; nothing that really stands out anyway. However, I am sure there are some. Many of the big hotels will have one.

If you have the time and the money, I would recommend going to the PCC one day (means staying on Ohau at least one night) and then also go to OLL. Both very good, but totally different experiences. Check out all their websites and decide from there. I know, it is not easy. It mainly comes down to your likes and dislikes, the time you have available, and where you are when you have it.

TY sptout. Is the PCC luau the same as Ha or are they two different things?

TY sptout. Is the PCC luau the same as Ha or are they two different things?

"Ha" is the name of the evening show that is held in an open air (but covered) theatre that does not have the capability of serving food. It is the main event of the day (comment based on the last show that we saw a few years ago that preceded "Ha" but no reason to expect that it would not be great). The PCC has had a variety of ways of feeding all the visitors over the years. The first time I went there they just had a buffet restaurant in a separate building. Now they have different options/packages that have different dining & costs. The PCC's luau is one of the options. I have no experience with this specifically, but as I understand it, it is kind of like other smaller luaus with the exception that after finishing eating you relocate to the main show theatre for the evening show (Ha). Remember that the PCC is a very large place with many visitors so they have to have multiple dining options to be able to handle all the visitors.

The last time we visited we bought what was then called the "Super Ambassador" package, which included an order off-a-menu dinner in a small separate room, a dedicated all day guide for just the two of us, front row dead center seats for the show, and other treats. Great package, but you paid for it.

I believe that they have other dining options available that are between the two that I have described. You will need to confirm this on their website since I know that some things have changed since we last visited.

If all else fails (cost wise) there is a McDonalds right beside the PCC's parking lot.

All of this kind of explains why I said go to the PCC and another more standard luau elsewhere, very different experiences, but worth it if you can swing it.

Edited by sptrout

We had narrowed it down to Lahaina and Smith's, but due to time constraints and transportation issues, we weren't able to do either. We ended up going to the Chief's Luau in Sealife Park near Waikiki. It included seeing the turtles and sharks at the park, as well as hula instruction, ti leaf headband making lessons, tattoos, etc. We watched them unearth the pig. It was very intimate (I think there were less than 100 people there) and it felt like we were special guests of the Chief, not just part of a huge crowd. The buffet line was not very long and we could get seconds. (The pig was awesome!!) A couple of drinks were included (and they weren't watered down). There was fire dancing and other polynesian dances. We had such a good time, the Chief was hilarious and we felt it was money well spent. I think we were there about 4 hours. I would highly recommend this one.

We had narrowed it down to Lahaina and Smith's, but due to time constraints and transportation issues, we weren't able to do either. We ended up going to the Chief's Luau in Sealife Park near Waikiki. It included seeing the turtles and sharks at the park, as well as hula instruction, ti leaf headband making lessons, tattoos, etc. We watched them unearth the pig. It was very intimate (I think there were less than 100 people there) and it felt like we were special guests of the Chief, not just part of a huge crowd. The buffet line was not very long and we could get seconds. (The pig was awesome!!) A couple of drinks were included (and they weren't watered down). There was fire dancing and other polynesian dances. We had such a good time, the Chief was hilarious and we felt it was money well spent. I think we were there about 4 hours. I would highly recommend this one.

Thanks for the information! How did you get to/from the ship?

Edited by lrm

We did this pre-cruise, but they picked us up from a nearby hotel. They offer pickups from various locations (for a fee, but it was worth it to us). Their website might list the various pickup locations. Maybe they go to the pier? Sorry, I don't know. It was great if you can get there though. :)

I was also considering doing this one...great reviews on TripAdvisor...can you tell me if it's necessary to pay the extra to have better seats? If there is only about 100 people can you still see what's going on no matter where you sit?

Donna

We did pay extra for the royal seats because we didn't know what to expect. You're correct that it was intimate enough that you could see very well from anywhere you were seated. The buffet line wasn't very long either. The only benefit to the royal seats was if you wanted to be called up on stage. The Chief took a man from each of the royal seats and brought him on stage and there were some ritual things they did and some dancing things. But that part was really funny. My husband was chosen and he's a huge ham so he loved it. The picture that they show on their website is exactly what it looked like except the buffet was under tents because it was a bit drizzly off and on the day we were there.

We did this pre-cruise, but they picked us up from a nearby hotel. They offer pickups from various locations (for a fee, but it was worth it to us). Their website might list the various pickup locations. Maybe they go to the pier? Sorry, I don't know. It was great if you can get there though. :)

From the reviews, I thought this would be great------until I read that they are closed on Tuesday (when we are in port). Maybe next time......

Thanks for the update. Glad you enjoyed the Chief's luau. For me a luau isn't as much about the Kalua pig, but do they have real Hawaiian dishes like lau lau, lomi lomi salmon, poi, squid luau and modern Hawaiian dishes like poke, chicken long rice, etc.

As to the Samoan Fire Knife Dance, it isn't really Samoan. The knife dance is traditional Samoan and probably 50 years ago a Samoan knife dancer was touring with a vaudeville company where he met a fire eater in San Francisco. The knife dancer thought fire would spice up his act and it sure did. So just like Chop Suey and topless dancing, the Samoan Knife Fire Dance really comes from San Francisco :)

We did pay extra for the royal seats because we didn't know what to expect. You're correct that it was intimate enough that you could see very well from anywhere you were seated. The buffet line wasn't very long either. The only benefit to the royal seats was if you wanted to be called up on stage. The Chief took a man from each of the royal seats and brought him on stage and there were some ritual things they did and some dancing things. But that part was really funny. My husband was chosen and he's a huge ham so he loved it. The picture that they show on their website is exactly what it looked like except the buffet was under tents because it was a bit drizzly off and on the day we were there.

Thanks so much for your feedback...I will definitely just book the standard package then. Ummm no I think I would rather sit and laugh at others...unless I've had a few champagnes no way would you get me up on stage :D

Thanks so much for your feedback...I will definitely just book the standard package then. Ummm no I think I would rather sit and laugh at others...unless I've had a few champagnes no way would you get me up on stage :D

Ditto...LOL

Great info, AmberCascades!

We also went to Chief's Luau last year. What a fantastic time we had. We did not spend the extra and I wouldn't bother as all seats are good and everyone treated very well. At the end the dancers go out among the guests and a gorgeous girl came to our table and my dh got a hug. I think it was the highlight of the trip for him. I have the picture taken at the beginning of the night with the chief in it with our group hanging right about my monitor to look at every day. We will be going back to Hawaii this fall and you can be sure we will be going back to Chiefs. :):)