Game Changer

Va. Plumber

I believe the approval of powdered alcohol was reversed yesterday, or supposedly the original approval was issued in error. The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, which oversees such products, withdrew its approval. See article:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/22/approval-powdered-alcohol-was-error/

Of course, the company is appealing the ruling and/or resubmitting its petition for approval. So, there's always a chance that approval will be forthcoming sometime in the near future. But not just yet.

This is a bit misleading.

The label approval process is regulated federally. So what you're allowed to say on the label, ie, ingredients, ABV % stuff like that

I would imagine it 'd be hard to put something like ABV% when there's no volume of water =)

However the alcohol products themselves are controlled at the state level.

I'd seriously doubt this would pass muster at the state level.

This is a bit misleading.

The label approval process is regulated federally. So what you're allowed to say on the label, ie, ingredients, ABV % stuff like that

I would imagine it 'd be hard to put something like ABV% when there's no volume of water =)

However the alcohol products themselves are controlled at the state level.

I'd seriously doubt this would pass muster at the state level.

If its a tax revenue, states will most likely allow it. :)

Probably not as bad as some of the stuff we drank in school

I shudder to remember that stuff.

Anyway, while the Gawker network isn't for everyone, I firmly believe they know their alcohol. So when I was reading about the back-peddling of approval at Gizmodo, I came across this article:

How to make powdered booze at home

For those who do not care for the Gawker network, the actual article was published online for the Popular Science magazine, so the link is safe.

If anyone tries it, you really have to come back here and let us (me...) know how it tastes.

So would this interest any one other than someone who wanted to smuggle it on board the ship? Personally it sounds gross to me. Like another poster posted reminds me of Tang compared to freshly squeezed OJ.

Sure does sound gross, but I'll bet there is a market for powdered alcohol.

Companies who make rum runners will lose revenue right along with the cruise lines. Dog trainers had better start working now to find just the right dogs to sniff out the new powdered contraband.

Sure does sound gross, but I'll bet there is a market for powdered alcohol.

Companies who make rum runners will lose revenue right along with the cruise lines. Dog trainers had better start working now to find just the right dogs to sniff out the new powdered contraband.

I am sure it will be a big hit at high school events. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

It's fascinating just how quickly information moves nowadays.

This was acutally done in the 70s by general mills and was abandoned because of both legal and lack of interest.

Be curious if it survives this time around.

on a practical level it does make sense. most alcohol 80-90% water weight. Get rid of the water and it's cheaper to ship!