Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

I'll be staying at the Renassance 2 days per cruise in November 2015. Since I am traveling solo, is that area safe for walking alone? Also what would be some fun activities in the area.

Thanks

It's a low crime rate area. Take Suntrolley or the 40 bus to beach or to Galleria Mall. Take the Water Taxi around and stop on Las Olas to wander downtown for a couple of hours.

• 1 month later...

We are planning to go for a pre-cruise dinner to Bubba Gumps at S Fort Lauderdale Boulevard from the Hyatt Place at SE 10th street.

Which would be the best way to get there for a party of 22 with no own or rented transportation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are planning to go for a pre-cruise dinner to Bubba Gumps at S Fort Lauderdale Boulevard from the Hyatt Place at SE 10th street.

Which would be the best way to get there for a party of 22 with no own or rented transportation?

Easiest from hotel to bubba gumps is via a taxi. Taxi will cost around $10-12 each way. Maybe get a few taxi's and split the final cost of all by 22 people? (like $5 /6 per person roundtrip)

Cheapest method if you plan on heading to the beach / restaurant area around bubba gumps before 6:30pm would be the sun trolley on 17th street at $1 per person.

http://www.suntrolley.com/las-olas-link-beach-link/

Easiest from hotel to bubba gumps is via a taxi. Taxi will cost around $10-12 each way. Maybe get a few taxi's and split the final cost of all by 22 people? (like $5 /6 per person roundtrip)

Cheapest method if you plan on heading to the beach / restaurant area around bubba gumps before 6:30pm would be the sun trolley on 17th street at $1 per person.

http://www.suntrolley.com/las-olas-link-beach-link/

There is a stop at the Harbor Shops?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a stop at the Harbor Shops?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Sun Trolley is just like hailing a cab. As long as you are standing along any of the Sun Trolley’s seven routes, just wave to the driver signaling that you would like to board. When you’re ready to get off, just let the driver know where along the route you would like to be dropped off.

Look at the map - Pink route goes right by Bubba Gumps

http://www.suntrolley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BeachandLasOlasLink.jpg

You will also see on map Harbor shops on the pink route. Might just have to walk a block up the street :)

Keep note they only run to 6:30pm so you can get there that way and then take a few taxis back at the end of night

Edited by jb456

You can call Yellow Cab at 954-777-7777 and request a few taxi vans. It should cost less than $10 per taxi, so no more than SunTrolley.

You can call Yellow Cab at 954-777-7777 and request a few taxi vans. It should cost less than $10 per taxi, so no more than SunTrolley.

I have booked a reservation with Yellow Cab online for that day. Online booking is a reliable method of booking or it is better call for a taxi?

After dinner we are going to take a limo for our group (22, that includes 4 kids under 6 years old).

What are your recommendations to go in a limo around Fort Lauderdale, maybe Miami for my group with kids?

After dinner we are going to take a limo for our group (22, that includes 4 kids under 6 years old).

What are your recommendations to go in a limo around Fort Lauderdale, maybe Miami for my group with kids?

In Ft Lauderdale, see the beachfront where you'll be anyway, Las Olas Blvd, SE 2nd St downtown, and Lauderdale by the Sea (LBTS). LBTS is very small but family friendly and has lots of dessert shops (ice cream, candy, yogurt, donuts). Miami is a larger area to see, and South Beach is fun, but I don't know of any appropriate family areas at night.

There are a few companies that have stretch Hummer limos that may be more comfortable than the traditional kind that you have to crawl around in. I've never hired one, so you'll have to do a little research. For a group of your size we once hired a luxury bus charter to go to a concert but I don't remember which company we used.

Edited by royalcruz

Looking to book a hotel for pre-cruise one night stay for early August. Flying into FLL - is the Springhill Suites a good choice? Looking for something clean, good free breakfast, close to some light shopping, and dinner choices for night before cruise. I believe they have free shuttles from airport to hotel, and from hotel to cruise port - but just trying to confirm everything since we've not cruised out of Port Everglades before.

Thanks in advance!

Looking to book a hotel for pre-cruise one night stay for early August. Flying into FLL - is the Springhill Suites a good choice? Looking for something clean, good free breakfast, close to some light shopping, and dinner choices for night before cruise. I believe they have free shuttles from airport to hotel, and from hotel to cruise port - but just trying to confirm everything since we've not cruised out of Port Everglades before.

Thanks in advance!

I think Springhill is a good choice for what you want, but check recent reviews on Tripadvisor before booking.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked at Pier 66 next April but now are wondering how convenient it is to get out and tour. It looks like its right on the sun trolley route but no longer has a water taxi stop. Also, how far would we need to go for wine and any last minute things that may come up? Does anyone know anything about the Riverside Hotel?

Two of us are flying into Fort Lauderdale at the end of February 2016 for 2 nights pre-cruise. Our cruise goes out of port of Miami. Looking for suggestions for hotels. We are not planning on renting a car and trying to decide if we should stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami...want a hotel with free breakfast, preferably near a beach within walking distance of stores and restaurants...also don't want to pay a lot for transfers to port or from airport....suggestions anyone ( I have read a lot of the ideas on cruise critic but just getting more confused!) Thanks!!!

Two of us are flying into Fort Lauderdale at the end of February 2016 for 2 nights pre-cruise. Our cruise goes out of port of Miami. Looking for suggestions for hotels. We are not planning on renting a car and trying to decide if we should stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami...want a hotel with free breakfast, preferably near a beach within walking distance of stores and restaurants...also don't want to pay a lot for transfers to port or from airport....suggestions anyone ( I have read a lot of the ideas on cruise critic but just getting more confused!) Thanks!!!

Are you going on the February 21 eclipse cruise out of Miami , we are and we are staying three days pre-cruise at Hollywood Beach. Found a couple of shuttle companies that will take us to Miami that Sunday. If Interested where we are staying , let me know thanks.

We are booked at Pier 66 next April but now are wondering how convenient it is to get out and tour. It looks like its right on the sun trolley route but no longer has a water taxi stop. Also, how far would we need to go for wine and any last minute things that may come up? Does anyone know anything about the Riverside Hotel?

Pier 66 has a convenience store across the street, and a Walgreens 2 blocks away that sells everything you need, but you have to walk several blocks to get to other stores. It's about a 4 block walk to the water taxi. Riverside is in a nicer location as far as restaurants and it is in a very nice area to walk around; there is a CVS and water taxi stop a couple of blocks away, but not other food/drug/wine stores.

I think you are expecting too much if you want all of these criteria. Best Western Oceanside has almost everything, but not close to stores. Alhambra Resort actually has everything, but they are negotiating a property sale.

Are you going on the February 21 eclipse cruise out of Miami , we are and we are staying three days pre-cruise at Hollywood Beach. Found a couple of shuttle companies that will take us to Miami that Sunday. If Interested where we are staying , let me know thanks.

We are flying in on February 26 and going on NCL getaway on the 28th

Pier 66 has a convenience store across the street, and a Walgreens 2 blocks away that sells everything you need, but you have to walk several blocks to get to other stores. It's about a 4 block walk to the water taxi. Riverside is in a nicer location as far as restaurants and it is in a very nice area to walk around; there is a CVS and water taxi stop a couple of blocks away, but not other food/drug/wine stores.

Thanks so much for the info! From what I can see, they are both on the Sun Trolley route so that would be handy for getting around as well. Will keep our reservation as is for now but keep the Riverside as a possible back-up plan.

http://www.suntrolley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BeachandLasOlasLink.jpg

You will also see on map Harbor shops on the pink route. Might just have to walk a block up the street

You can call Yellow Cab at 954-777-7777954-777-7777 and request a few taxi vans. It should cost less than $10 per taxi, so no more than SunTrolley.

Thank you for providing both links - we are staying at the Hilton FLL Marina with 2 other couples and this information is valuable. Last time we were there, we took taxis, but the Sun Trolley is a great way to get from our hotel to the Harbor Shops (one member has knee issues, so walking all the way would be uncomfortable). If we decide to stay later than 6:30, I will have Yellow Cab in my phone and won't have to bother anyone to have them call a taxi for us. Greatly appreciate everyone's input!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

We have a group of 6 arriving from Celebrity Infinity on 12/5/15 @7:00 am and would like to tour in Fort Lauderdale before going to FLL airport around 4:00 pm for 5:55 pm flight. We would like to rent a vehicle to go to Billie Swamp Safari (6 hours tour) but we needed a place to store our luggage instead inside the vehicle while we tour. So any suggestion?

Bob

We have a group of 6 arriving from Celebrity Infinity on 12/5/15 @7:00 am and would like to tour in Fort Lauderdale before going to FLL airport around 4:00 pm for 5:55 pm flight. We would like to rent a vehicle to go to Billie Swamp Safari (6 hours tour) but we needed a place to store our luggage instead inside the vehicle while we tour. So any suggestion?

Bob

Do you have too much luggage to store in the trunk of your rental car?

Thank you for providing both links - we are staying at the Hilton FLL Marina with 2 other couples and this information is valuable. Last time we were there, we took taxis, but the Sun Trolley is a great way to get from our hotel to the Harbor Shops (one member has knee issues, so walking all the way would be uncomfortable). If we decide to stay later than 6:30, I will have Yellow Cab in my phone and won't have to bother anyone to have them call a taxi for us. Greatly appreciate everyone's input!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Your friend with the knee problem might be better off using taxis than Sun Trolley...you have to walk 2-3 blocks from the hotel to 17th St to catch a ride, and the hotel itself is a large property to walk.

Do you have too much luggage to store in the trunk of your rental car?

Our original plan for 6 is to rent a minivan which don't have trunk. Now we got 8 so we will rent 2 large car so we can store our luggage in the trunk.

Thanks,

Bob :D