Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

*Would you suggest getting to the ship later rather than earlier to avoid some of the traffic congestion?

I have a shuttle quote of $110 for airport to hotel and from ship to airport. I was planning to just take a taxi to the ship after we check out from hotel. Do you think all taxis would be less than that?

I think RC also has transfer service available?? From the ship...

Use taxis and the price should be less than half the shuttle quote (airport to hotel about $30 and ship to airport about $15 - those prices are with tip). You can look up the taxi fare calculator: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Fort-Lauderdale-FL. Transfers - especially with more than one passenger since they charge per passenger - are usually much more expensive.

Use taxis and the price should be less than half the shuttle quote (airport to hotel about $30 and ship to airport about $15 - those prices are with tip). You can look up the taxi fare calculator: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Fort-Lauderdale-FL. Transfers - especially with more than one passenger since they charge per passenger - are usually much more expensive.

Thank you capriccio!

I will just use taxis then. It's just the two of us. Are there any companies to avoid? Some cities have independent taxis that are slightly questionable. And I assume taxis are readily available at airport and cruise port (can I use the porters to assist?) and from the hotel I probably just call?

Thank you for all of this great information!!! It's just about 40 degrees today, so thinking of warm FLL Florida is so much nicer...

*Would you suggest getting to the ship later rather than earlier to avoid some of the traffic congestion?

I have a shuttle quote of $110 for airport to hotel and from ship to airport. I was planning to just take a taxi to the ship after we check out from hotel. Do you think all taxis would be less than that?

I think RC also has transfer service available?? From the ship...

It's hard to predict the traffic congestion in the port. I was in the port this past Sunday when there were at least 6 ships in, and there was NO congestion at 11:30. Other times, it has been really bad. The traffic TO the port is lightest between 10 and noon during the week, but on the weekends it's not bad.

I like getting to the ship between 11 and 12, as they usually start boarding so you don't have to stand around. Closer to 11 is probably better.

The shuttle quote that you got is higher than a taxi even in the heaviest traffic, $25 to $55 at most per ride, per car.

RC can arrange transfer with a shuttle service, which is great when the airport is far away. If you are going from PE to FLL it's only about 3 miles and about $15 per taxi-load, so it doesn't make sense to use a shuttle.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you capriccio!

I will just use taxis then. It's just the two of us. Are there any companies to avoid? Some cities have independent taxis that are slightly questionable. And I assume taxis are readily available at airport and cruise port (can I use the porters to assist?) and from the hotel I probably just call?

Thank you for all of this great information!!! It's just about 40 degrees today, so thinking of warm FLL Florida is so much nicer...

Taxis are readily available at the port and airport - most are Yellow Cab. You should have no problem getting a porter at Port Everglades - just remember to tip them. On weekend mornings, cabs are frequently lined up outside the hotels but if there isn't one just ask the front desk to call one for you.

It's sunny with wispy clouds here and about 82 going to the mid-80s today. A cold front is coming this weekend - the high will only be 77 on Sunday and 73 :eek: on Monday.

We are first timers to FLL as well and have just booked Galt Villas Inn on North Ocean Blvd for $150/night. While I agree it's not your Hilton or any other top hotels or even a budget motel like Super 8 (looks like its an old hotel), it does have very good reviews on TripAdvisor and since you'll will most likely be bar hopping and probably just going to sleep it should be sufficient. Im picky when it comes to cleanliness and this hotel fit our needs with budget/cleanliness. Our trip is in January so will update once we're back.

I booked the Galt Villas for our 3 night stay next week before boarding the Oasis. Just my husband and I, we were looking for location, budget and cleanliness. We have rented a car, so this location seemed ideal. I have been planning our vacations for 13 years and always go with Trip Advisor reviews. It hasn't failed me yet. :cool:

I booked the Galt Villas for our 3 night stay next week before boarding the Oasis. Just my husband and I, we were looking for location, budget and cleanliness. We have rented a car, so this location seemed ideal. I have been planning our vacations for 13 years and always go with Trip Advisor reviews. It hasn't failed me yet. :cool:

Let me know how the accommodation was after your trip!

Firsttimecruiser, I know you are trying to be helpful, but the bars in the Galt Villas area mostly attract a middle aged and older crowd and it's no where near the water taxi. The only ones I would recommend are Bokampers Sports Bar, or maybe Blue Jean Blues if you are at least 50. The restaurants in that area are good though. It's also at least a $35 ride from the airport/to the port.

Sorry, I completely missed the fact that they would be in a taxi. We are hiring a rental car so completely missed this point. What restaurants in that area would you recommend to us?

~Firsttime_cruiser2015

Sorry, I completely missed the fact that they would be in a taxi. We are hiring a rental car so completely missed this point. What restaurants in that area would you recommend to us?

~Firsttime_cruiser2015

Some good Galt Mile area restaurants are Greek Islands, Bokampers (waterfront huge sports bar/grill), Nick's (neighborhood Italian with lounge upstairs), La Dolce Vita, East Side Deli (breakfast/lunch). Lucca can be hit or miss. Pizza Rustica has great takeout. Martorano is popular but very noisy. There are a couple of new Italian restaurants on 33rd St and 32nd St I haven't yet tried. Aruba about a mile north is good and oceanfront, and there is a very nice waterfront Chart House about a quarter of a mile away. Since you have a car, if the weather is nice, you should also try Coconuts 5 miles south.

Edited by royalcruz

Let me know how the accommodation was after your trip!

I'll let you know! We'll be there Wednesday evening!

Some good Galt Mile area restaurants are Greek Islands, Bokampers (waterfront huge sports bar/grill), Nick's (neighborhood Italian with lounge upstairs), La Dolce Vita, East Side Deli (breakfast/lunch). Lucca can be hit or miss. Pizza Rustica has great takeout. Martorano is popular but very noisy. There are a couple of new Italian restaurants on 33rd St and 32nd St I haven't yet tried. Aruba about a mile north is good and oceanfront, and there is a very nice waterfront Chart House about a quarter of a mile away. Since you have a car, if the weather is nice, you should also try Coconuts 5 miles south.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this.😃 I'm looking for a waterfront Steak/Seafood restaurant to celebrate my husbands birthday. It can be anywhere really, as we'll have a car. Price isn't an issue, but I want a great view.

Thanks for posting this.�� I'm looking for a waterfront Steak/Seafood restaurant to celebrate my husbands birthday. It can be anywhere really, as we'll have a car. Price isn't an issue, but I want a great view.

Are you going out to dinner or lunch? I was going to recommend Sea Watch (http://www.seawatchontheocean.com/#_=_) but once darkness falls, you aren't going to have great views of the ocean. It does have lovely views during the day. Aruba's has the same issue. For a dinner maybe something along the intra-coastal like the Chart House would be better (at least it is lit by the nearby buildings and passing yachts).

Edited by capriccio

Are you going out to dinner or lunch? I was going to recommend Sea Watch (http://www.seawatchontheocean.com/#_=_) but once darkness falls, you aren't going to have great views of the ocean. It does have lovely views during the day. Aruba's has the same issue. For a dinner maybe something along the intra-coastal like the Chart House would be better (at least it is lit by the nearby buildings and passing yachts).

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I would choose Chart House. Steak 954 is a nice oceanfront (with cars in between) place, and Grill 66 is on a nice marina. We are getting a cold front so I won't be sitting outside at night this week! It was in the 60s today with the sun shining. :eek:

It will warm up this weekend. :)

Edited by royalcruz

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I would choose Chart House. Steak 954 is a nice oceanfront (with cars in between) place, and Grill 66 is on a nice marina. We are getting a cold front so I won't be sitting outside at night this week! It was in the 60s today with the sun shining. :eek:

It will warm up this weekend. :)

Lol, We're from Colorado.... 60 is a heatwave!

We will be returning from our cruise on Jan 2 in the morning. Our flight out isn't it not ill 830 pm. What can we plan to do?any suggestions
My daughter and I had a similar situation a couple years ago. We only had carry-on luggage, so we self-embarked; took a taxi to the airport, and picked up a rental car that I had arranged for the day.

Drove about 30 miles (35 minutes) north to Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens. It was quite lovely, even on an overcast day. Admission was $15. If the day had been bright and sunny, we might have gone to the Hollywood Beach and Broadwalk. (Yes, it is a Broadwalk, made of bricks - not a Boardwalk). Having the rental car gave us a safe place to store our luggage in the trunk - which might be a good idea for you, wherever you plan to spend your day.

Lol, We're from Colorado.... 60 is a heatwave!

It's 'only' 61 this morning and the female TV newscasters and meteorologists are dressed in long sleeves and boots! If it was in the 50s the scarves and gloves would come out of storage :D

It's 'only' 61 this morning and the female TV newscasters and meteorologists are dressed in long sleeves and boots! If it was in the 50s the scarves and gloves would come out of storage :D

[emoji3] I took this photo of these boys swimming in the Arkansas River, the middle of October. It was about 65 degrees that day. But I totally get that your cold is humid and ours is dry. That makes a big difference. ef220409883d5b2d74e15911fd1a488f.jpg

Cruisers often ask where to get a mani/pedi by the port. My friend has been going to this nail tech for a while and loves her!

Toi Spa in Southport Shopping Center on SE 17th St (across from Embassy Suites). They offer over 20 different spa pedicures, as that is their specialty. Ask for Amanda there and call in advance for appts. 954.990.6687

We'll be landing just before 8pm on a Tuesday night at FLL then catching a hotel shuttle to the Comfort Suites on SW 19th in Dania Beach, which I believe is close to the Cambria Suites there. By the time we are registered and ready to get something to eat, it will probably be close to 10 pm. A hamburger and a drink might be just enough, but we're not sure what's close - maybe just see if the bar/restaurant at Cambria is still serving food then? Any suggestions that might be close and still serving food? Thanks!

We'll be landing just before 8pm on a Tuesday night at FLL then catching a hotel shuttle to the Comfort Suites on SW 19th in Dania Beach, which I believe is close to the Cambria Suites there. By the time we are registered and ready to get something to eat, it will probably be close to 10 pm. A hamburger and a drink might be just enough, but we're not sure what's close - maybe just see if the bar/restaurant at Cambria is still serving food then? Any suggestions that might be close and still serving food? Thanks!

That is late for that area, especially during the week. The hotel should be able to recommend pizza delivery. There is a TGIFridays and Hollywood Ale House in Oakwood Plaza; check their kitchen hours.

Cruisers often ask where to get a mani/pedi by the port. My friend has been going to this nail tech for a while and loves her!

Toi Spa in Southport Shopping Center on SE 17th St (across from Embassy Suites). They offer over 20 different spa pedicures, as that is their specialty. Ask for Amanda there and call in advance for appts. 954.990.6687

Perfect timing for this info. Thanks.

That is late for that area, especially during the week. The hotel should be able to recommend pizza delivery. There is a TGIFridays and Hollywood Ale House in Oakwood Plaza; check their kitchen hours.

Looks like the Ale House has late hours and would suit us fine. Thank you!

Help, please! I don't think we've ever cruised out of FLL, so I'm a little lost.

We sail the Navigator in late February, sail out on a Sunday. We are flying in early the day before, and wondering where to stay and what to do for our Saturday!

My initial thoughts are to fly into FLL, and possibly stay at Hollywood Beach Marriott (beachfront, right? Is it too cold in late Feb for a beach day?) OR Gallery One. We won't have a car, so will be relying on taxis or Uber. Would love your thoughts on either of these hotels (or better suggestions) and if it's too chilly for a beach day, any suggestions? And also any suggestions for a close place for dinner?

I know I've thrown a lot of questions out here, and am grateful for the help.

Help, please! I don't think we've ever cruised out of FLL, so I'm a little lost.

We sail the Navigator in late February, sail out on a Sunday. We are flying in early the day before, and wondering where to stay and what to do for our Saturday!

My initial thoughts are to fly into FLL, and possibly stay at Hollywood Beach Marriott (beachfront, right? Is it too cold in late Feb for a beach day?) OR Gallery One. We won't have a car, so will be relying on taxis or Uber. Would love your thoughts on either of these hotels (or better suggestions) and if it's too chilly for a beach day, any suggestions? And also any suggestions for a close place for dinner?

I know I've thrown a lot of questions out here, and am grateful for the help.

Yes, the Marriott is on the beach, with a wide public sidewalk called the Broadwalk between the hotel grounds and the sand. There is a restaurant at the hotel, Latitudes. I am not a fan of any of the restaurants in that area, so sorry but I don't have any recommendations. The most popular very casual restaurant is Le Tub, about a mile south. It might be beach weather in late February, but it is hard to predict. If it isn't rainy, it might at least be a pleasant day to sit on the beach or at the pool in summer clothing. Today it was chilly, 62 degrees in the middle of the afternoon.

Gallery One is about 4 blocks from the beach, and it is next to a very nice indoor shopping mall with great chain restaurants: P F Changs, Truluck, Capital Grill, Seasons 52. Texas Brazilian Steakhouse is across the street, as is a nice Starbucks. The hotel has a Water Taxi stop and a pool. It's a great location for all weather.