It's official. Freedom to Galveston. Conquest to Fort Lauderdale. Magic stays in Gal.

NCL will do just fine. While Carnival continues to compete only on price, and the other lines focus on experience, those looking for cheap will get what they want, while those looking for experience will do fine as well.

Those that don't know the difference will think they are getting a bargain.

I read this twice and still don't know what it means....

Good points, but for some timelines to have a look at. NCL up until Bayport has never challenged the cruise market in Galveston. The ships they brought here made the Celebration look 5 star. Both of those floating bathtubs went to scrap once they left here. They had a makeshift terminal in La Porte. The Big Red Boat tried a few sailings from the same terminal.

Royal brought the Rhapsody here for a long string if successful 7-night cruises and Carnival didn't respond with a like caliber ship. Royal even brought the Splendour to make 5 night runs for part of several years with only the Ecstasy and Elation as competition.

Mix in Celebrity for a few sailings from Galveston and the market seemed saturated.

Only when hurricane Katrina ravished NOLA did the Conquest come here. Some might say we stole her and I'd not argue. What the Conquest did was bring a better caliber ship than the Celebration, and two Fantasy class ships like the Ecstasy and Elation, sailing 4-5 and 7 day trips respectively.

Royal bailed from Galveston for bigger revenues overseas. Hurricane Ike didn't help. Carnival loaned the Port of Galveston a wheelbarrow full of money and the terminal was back up, improved and ready to go in record time. Hello Carnival Magic.

Royal does well here, we've sailed them a dozen times, most from Galveston. Prior to the Magic they had a superior product and charged your for it. The Magic was a game changer. Royal has responded.

Galveston and the infrastructure was initially slow after Ike, but it has picked up speed in the past 24 months. More hotels than we ever thought have sprung up, and the corridor from Hobby Airport to the causeway is growing like mad.

I'm not an economist, but my observation is Carnival is counting on many first time and return to cruising passengers to make their way to the island and step aboard. Then they can sell them on cruising and get them to Florida or other ports of departure.

The second set of cruisers are perhaps like my wife and I. We loved the Ecstasy, the Triumph and the Magic. I can get a run in, shower, pet the Golden Retriever and be aboard the ship for an early lunch. I have a few million fellow passengers that can do the same with less than a days drive.

I'm not sure about NCL, their reviews here and elsewhere are not what I expected. Carnival is predictable for every cruise.

See you aboard.

Can't argue with anything said here. Carnival and Royal are making money in Galveston and Galveston is being helped by with with increased tourism dollars. So its a win win. Where is NCL? not sure why they haven't tried to get in on it. They could probably get Houston to give them a great deal on using the Houston Cruise Terminal (where NCL used to dock).

It take a bit longer for us to get to Galveston, but we can still leave home in the morning and be boarding before noon.

I read this twice and still don't know what it means....

Seriously? I think it's spot on. I struggle to decide if I'm good with Carnival being just about bargain and just making my own experience....or trying something else and spending more. I'm super annoyed with my March 2015 cruise being changed twice...drastically and Carnival being laze faire about it. Yes, yes they have the right to do whatever...but I have the right to change product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conquest doesn't have a Serenity area? Is there an adult pool then? Are we moving from a ship with Serenity to one without any adult only area on deck?

Conquest doesn't have any pools. It's mostly due to the fact that you have to row most of the way. Don't have much time for swimming; when you get done with your rowing shift, you are pretty tired and likely to just want to sleep.

Can't argue with anything said here. Carnival and Royal are making money in Galveston and Galveston is being helped by with with increased tourism dollars. So its a win win. Where is NCL? not sure why they haven't tried to get in on it. They could probably get Houston to give them a great deal on using the Houston Cruise Terminal (where NCL used to dock).

NCL will start sailing from Houston this fall for the winter season. They'll be here at approximately the same times as Princess for the next two years, I think.

I'm disappointed in the switch from Freedom to Conquest. But we did book when there were rumors going around that Freedom might be moving to Galveston, and Conquest was one of the ships being rumored to replace it (if I remember right). We just sailed Conquest a couple of months ago, and it wasn't a bad ship. I did miss Serenity since it's not on Conquest, and I was looking forward to the new shows being introduced on Freedom.

What annoys me is that we didn't get the email notice from Carnival. A coworker emailed me that her ship got changed, so we checked our email, nothing. Even checked the spam and junk folders in case it went there. Nothing. This isn't the first time Carnival has dropped the ball and not notified us of a change. The same thing happened when our Legend cruise was canceled a year and a half ago. And yes, we do have it set up to receive emails from Carnival. I did check our account on Carnival, and it shows up as us being on the Conquest.

I'm also a bit confused. The articles I read about this change said that Freedom wasn't actually leaving Ft. Lauderdale for its repositioning cruise until Feb. 2. That's the day we were scheduled to get off of Freedom, I believe. But Conquest is taking over from Freedom in mid-January. What is the Freedom doing between mid-January and Feb. 2?

I'm not opposed to cruising out of Galveston--but there are no good itineraries that can't also be done from Florida, and it's usually cheaper to fly to Florida, so I don't see us flying to Texas for a cruise with Carnival.

I'm irritated that I did not so much as get an email from Carnival telling me about the switch. If I wasn't on these boards then I would have no idea. I logged in on the website and sure enough the name of the ship says Conquest in small print. Almost like they are trying to be sneaky. Let's be honest, a very small percentage of cruisers are probably on these boards or keep up on Carnival news.

For me, two of the things I really wanted on my ship (Serenity and Tandoori Grill) are not on the Conquest. We discovered the Tandoori on the Splendor and it is the BOMB!!

I called Carnival and they said they will do a price protection for any other sailing for the same amount of days. That's cool, I think I will probably go that route. Carnival could have at least given everybody the courtesy of a call or email.

I'm disappointed in the switch from Freedom to Conquest. But we did book when there were rumors going around that Freedom might be moving to Galveston, and Conquest was one of the ships being rumored to replace it (if I remember right). We just sailed Conquest a couple of months ago, and it wasn't a bad ship. I did miss Serenity since it's not on Conquest, and I was looking forward to the new shows being introduced on Freedom.

I'm also a bit confused. The articles I read about this change said that Freedom wasn't actually leaving Ft. Lauderdale for its repositioning cruise until Feb. 2. That's the day we were scheduled to get off of Freedom, I believe. But Conquest is taking over from Freedom in mid-January. What is the Freedom doing between mid-January and Feb. 2? QUOTE]

Just checked CCL and Freedom is doing a 7-day (1/18-1/25) - GT, SJ, St. Maarten. Then an 8-day (1/25-2/2) - GT, SJ, St. Kitts, St. Maarten.

We're doing a B2B (1/18-2/1) and I thought of changing to this except it's almost all duplicates. The only different port in 2nd cruise is St. Kitts. We've been to all of these ports several times except for only once to St. Kitts.

Seriously? I think it's spot on. I struggle to decide if I'm good with Carnival being just about bargain and just making my own experience....or trying something else and spending more. I'm super annoyed with my March 2015 cruise being changed twice...drastically and Carnival being laze faire about it. Yes, yes they have the right to do whatever...but I have the right to change product.

Well, I agree you can certainly decide where you want to decide to spend your cruise dollars. My point was: If the poster (and you agree)was saying that Carnival can only compete on price...then fine. I disagree. If you think the Carnival "experience" is only for the cheap crowd. I disagree. If you want to move to another line because a cruise 11 months out was changed, do it. How in the world that turns into laze faire by Carnival is beyond me but its your perception that counts to you. Sometimes stuff happens. It's a year out, pick another cruise or another cruise line.

BTW, your comment on Carnival being just about bargain and just making my own experience fits into my not understanding what you are trying to say to my quote on the post you questioned me on. What does "making your own experience mean"?

I'm irritated that I did not so much as get an email from Carnival telling me about the switch. If I wasn't on these boards then I would have no idea. I logged in on the website and sure enough the name of the ship says Conquest in small print. Almost like they are trying to be sneaky. Let's be honest, a very small percentage of cruisers are probably on these boards or keep up on Carnival news.

For me, two of the things I really wanted on my ship (Serenity and Tandoori Grill) are not on the Conquest. We discovered the Tandoori on the Splendor and it is the BOMB!!

I called Carnival and they said they will do a price protection for any other sailing for the same amount of days. That's cool, I think I will probably go that route. Carnival could have at least given everybody the courtesy of a call or email.

I feel your pain we are booked on the Miracle that now has an altered route. WE never got a letter about it and I ended up finding out about it here on CC. We also had a B2B booked for last fall on the Legend that was sailing in Europe and both cruises were cancelled. Never got a letter about that one either...read about it here on CC and that really had me upset.

Well, I agree you can certainly decide where you want to decide to spend your cruise dollars. My point was: If the poster (and you agree)was saying that Carnival can only compete on price...then fine. I disagree. If you think the Carnival "experience" is only for the cheap crowd. I disagree. If you want to move to another line because a cruise 11 months out was changed, do it. How in the world that turns into laze faire by Carnival is beyond me but its your perception that counts to you. Sometimes stuff happens. It's a year out, pick another cruise or another cruise line.

BTW, your comment on Carnival being just about bargain and just making my own experience fits into my not understanding what you are trying to say to my quote on the post you questioned me on. What does "making your own experience mean"?

Well, it's been changed twice. First we had to change from NOLA to Miami and now a different ship. I was told by Carnival that if I cancelled I'd lose my deposit and I also would not get the rooms we wanted. I've never had a bad cruise on Carnival...but this is horrible customer service and now I guess I'll decide if I'm ok being held hostage or if I'll lose the money.

Well, it's been changed twice. First we had to change from NOLA to Miami and now a different ship. I was told by Carnival that if I cancelled I'd lose my deposit and I also would not get the rooms we wanted. I've never had a bad cruise on Carnival...but this is horrible customer service and now I guess I'll decide if I'm ok being held hostage or if I'll lose the money.

I understand your frustrations. Why did you have to change from New Orleans to Miami?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I understand your frustrations. Why did you have to change from New Orleans to Miami?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were doing western exotic on the Dream and it changed to Key West and Nassau. Ummm, big difference! So we came to Miami on the Conquest for the itinerary we wanted. Just got my new cabin assignment on Splendor....I was an L cabin; now I'm midship. Grrrr

We were booked on the 1/18/2015 on the Conquest with another family next to us in lido deck balconies. Got the letter then the next day got the new cabin assignments that were not side by side and not on the same deck. Called by PVP and he got us upgraded to Spa Balcony cabins side by side. Although we did choose the Conquest over Splendor originally due to the 2.0 upgrades we can live without them since we will still be on a ship in the Carribean in Jan. when it is really cold and snowing at home. Also they switched the itinerary to Half Moon Cay instead of Nassau. I am perfectly fine with that as well since we have never been to Half Moon Cay and it looks like a great beach. Like a I said before as long as I am on Ship next Jan. 18th all is good.

Edited by rjschaack16

...Carnival Freedom will kick off its new schedule from Galveston with a special six-day Caribbean voyage to Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize; and Cozumel departing Feb. 15, 2015.
...haven't seen this cruise listed on Carnival's site. We are interested in most any cruise that includes Costa Maya. That's us in the picture below at Costa Maya in Dec 2011... Edited by forwardcabin

I was on Conquest 4/26/15, and now have to find a new cruise altogether (that's the cutoff date when Splendor is going to change from the Conquest's 7-day sailings).

I was also in 9201, so will be difficult to impossible to find a similar cabin. Bummer, this is the Honeymoon cruise so was very excited.

Rates are being locked for similar accommodations on similar sailings, also giving $50 OBC per person.

Nobody should have airline reservations since that's over a year out and I don't know any airlines that book that early, but document change fees are being covered up to $200 each with a refundable OBC.

If you book with Carnival they should give you a balcony room. I had room 9200 on Conquest, they put us into a balcony on Splendor. I think the balcony room is not as nice as the room I had, but it is at least something.

Edited by monkey5wa

Well I finally got all of our rooms figured out on the Splendor. Had to cancel everything they put us in and start over....our group was spread out all over the ship. We retained one of our L shaped rooms but not both :( No OBC that I'm aware of......

Why would you lose your deposit if your cruise isn't until March 2015?

I am guessing you are booked ES?

If so you shouldn't lose more than $50pp. Of course the rest of your deposit would be held for a future cruise.

If you are so adament about not going on this ship i would definitely change.

I have seen others have switched ships and gotten price protection for the new ship.

Maybe time to call CCL again and see if there is a different answer.

Good Luck

Bill

We had a 6k, room 9199, and they moved us to a 6c, on the 2nd deck! We booked specifically for the room. Needless to say we cancelled. They did refund our deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That's terrible!! If they don't have your room you should go up a category and not down. That is just terrible Customer Service plain and simple. They are choosing to mess with your vacation ( mine as well ) and not even giving any compensation. I'm really disappointed in Carnival. :mad:

If you book with Carnival they should give you a balcony room. I had room 9200 on Conquest, they put us into a balcony on Splendor. I think the balcony room is not as nice as the room I had, but it is at least something.

I could've gotten a balcony room, but it would've been same price and I agree not as nice. Instead I got 9196, a Scenic Ocean View, for $300 less. That was what was initially worked out and put on hold at least. My PVP is on vacation so nothing will be finalized until she's back.

Edited by whtvrrob

I could've gotten a balcony room, but it would've been same price and I agree not as nice. Instead I got 9196, a Scenic Ocean View, for $300 less. That was what was initially worked out and put on hold at least. My PVP is on vacation so nothing will be finalized until she's back.

They didn't charge us more for the balcony. Anyways, I hope it works out with the Scenic ocean view room and you enjoy your cruise.

They didn't charge us more for the balcony. Anyways, I hope it works out with the Scenic ocean view room and you enjoy your cruise.

Balcony would've been maybe $50 more, but I went from ~$1750 for 6K to ~$1450 for 6J. Still a bummer but saving $300 plus $50pp OBC helps.

Balcony would've been maybe $50 more, but I went from ~$1750 for 6K to ~$1450 for 6J. Still a bummer but saving $300 plus $50pp OBC helps.

Yeah, helps to lessen the disappointment a bit. I would take the savings too. Have a great cruise