Interracial Adoption & Cruising

jckelly

We are an interracial family- my husband and I are white & adopted 3 AA siblings. This will be our first time cruising with our children. We live in a diverse area & still get some stares. SO, I was wondering if there were any other interracial families that have cruised and if you had anything to share about your experience with getting through security, natives feelings/treatment towards your family etc. We will be cruising in 16 days on the Fascination into Nassau & HMC. We have their birth certificates with our names as parents & I'm bringing a copy of their adoption decree just in case. I'm used to stares & questions however would like to be prepared to avoid any issues we can with documentation or if there will be any issues with security or in the Bahamas. Thanks!

Edited by jckelly

Then you shouldn't have any problems. The natives only notice your "green". The other passengers are most likely to comment on the children's behavior and your response to their behavior. There is always other families with members of all hues especially out of the Florida ports.

I wouldn't waste a second worried about what people think of my family. Just enjoy your family cruise and ignore the ignorance.

But it does remind me of my brother's family. My Caucasian brother was married to a Mexican woman. They lived in an upscale area of Orange County CA.

When a stranger would come to the door and my SIL answered, they would always ask to speak to the lady of the house...assuming she was the maid.

People also always insisted their children must be part Japanese.

We always just laughed it off and let the people wallow in their ignorance.

Then you shouldn't have any problems. The natives only notice your "green". The other passengers are most likely to comment on the children's behavior and your response to their behavior. There is always other families with members of all hues especially out of the Florida ports.

Oh I'm used to comments from others. Usually about my daughter's hair (big & super curly) or how we "have our hands full" since we have a 2, 3, and 6 year old. They'll comment on their (good) behavior and usually say something about how cute they are since we notice they've been staring ;-) I get it, we stand out, so we are used to people looking or commenting. Just wanted to make sure there is no additional paperwork or hassle getting on & off and in ports. Thanks!

We have cruised from Galveston and Miami with our 3 year old son multiple times without a question asked. We are both white and he is bi-racial and his skin tone is dark. He had his passport 3 weeks after the adoption was finalized when he was 7 months. Carnival or Immigration have never asked a question. He looks nothing like his passport picture now and they just pass us through. Hopefully he will be Platinum by his 4th birthday in August. Good luck and happy cruising.

I seriously doubt that Carnival or US CBP staff will question you as long as you have the correct documentation. You may get stares from some of the other guests, but I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun!

Edited by gtalum

Hi! My husband and I are caucasian and our two sons were adopted from Guatemala. They both have US passports and Certificates of citizenship. We've taken several cruises and have never had any issues with security or anything.

In addition to their passports, I always travel with copies of their birth certificates and COCs. Have never needed them.

ENJOY your cruise!!!!

:D

Thanks everyone! Again I'm not worried about other passengers. We are used to stares & comments (both polite & rude). I just wanted to make sure there were no issues with security or customs, etc. Thanks again. We're excited the adoption is now final & we can take them on one of our favorite vacations :-)

Edited by jckelly

Thanks everyone! Again I'm not worried about other passengers. We are used to stares & comments (both polite & rude). I just wanted to make sure there was no issues with security or customs, etc. Thanks again. We're excited the adoption is now final & we can take them on one of our favorite vacations :-)

The staff, both Carnival and US CBP, are only concerned with documentation. They won't be an issue for you.

Kudos to you for adopting and sharing your love with children that need it!!! We have several families at our church that have adopted and are now an inter-racial family. This is not so far-out there. Those that judge are not worth your time.

You should not have any issues, as others have said, as long as you have proper identification.

Have Fun!!

I agree with gtalum - as long as you have all the required documents, Carnival doesn't care. Same with security in Nassau - they just want to make sure you belong on the ship. There isn't really any security on HMC since it is a private island. They just scan your Sign and Sail card as you get on and off the ship.

Some passengers might look just out of curiosity (or because your kids really are cute :)). But a cruise ship is just a big mix of people you'd meet anywhere. You'll see all sizes, all ages, all family configurations.

FYI - it's better to say "locals", not "natives". ;)

I agree with gtalum - as long as you have all the required documents, Carnival doesn't care. Same with security in Nassau - they just want to make sure you belong on the ship. There isn't really any security on HMC since it is a private island. They just scan your Sign and Sail card as you get on and off the ship.

Some passengers might look just out of curiosity (or because your kids really are cute :)). But a cruise ship is just a big mix of people you'd meet anywhere. You'll see all sizes, all ages, all family configurations.

FYI - it's better to say "locals", not "natives". ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to say "locals". :)

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to say "locals". :)

Have a wonderful cruise with your family!

My brother is adopted (Korean) and I don't remember my parents having any problems with paperwork while traveling. I was born in Korea so when we first started cruising, I made sure to bring my Certificate of Citizenship along with my birth certificate. Now I have a passport and it's a lot simpler. A lot of immigration officers comment on my place of birth when they look at my passport since I'm causasian. It's never an issue, I think they are just curious because it's unusual.

Hi! My husband and I are caucasian and our two sons were adopted from Guatemala. They both have US passports and Certificates of citizenship. We've taken several cruises and have never had any issues with security or anything.

In addition to their passports, I always travel with copies of their birth certificates and COCs. Have never needed them.

ENJOY your cruise!!!!

:D

If they have passports, they are never going to be asked for any other docs. That's why you got passports

I adopted my son from South America, and I am single. He is very tan and I am pink. About half the time we have returned to Miami, we get pulled aside for questions. We travel with U.S. passports, and I always bring my son's C of C, social security card, passport card and a copy of his birth certificate. These have come in handy some of the times when for some reason they want to look beyond the passport. As much as I am glad that they are watching for child smuggling, I would think they would trust their own documents.

The last trip a few weeks ago we were pulled by the same customs guy who had pulled us (and interviewed us separately) a few trips ago. This time, he was asking, "Where is his mother?" and what do I mean that he doesn't have one. It was irritating.

Other times we breeze through. I would be prepared in any event.

This is so common that I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Enjoy your time onboard.

Oh how I wish this was the case. I've been asked for "proof" he was mine when I granted permission to get a sample of spicy cheese at our local Costco ;)

if they have birth certificates, why would they need?

My son's state birth certificate is stamped 'NOT FOR PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP'. It's usable only to prove his age.

We've been on more than a half dozen cruises and never needed anything other than his US passport. We've never been questioned or even been given a second glance by immigration officials.

I suppose we're taking a risk by not traveling with anything that proves that we're his parents, but we're doing the same thing with our (biological) daughter.

As you can probably see by my photo, I'm white, married soemone who is black, and have two mixed kids.

My kids have been cruising since birth. Never had a race issue, but if we did, don't know who would be first to knock somebody out, me, my DH, or my DSs.:D:eek:

But seriously, are you worried about other passengers, crew, ports?? Don't forget, if you are sailing to the caribbean, EVERYONE is mixed, all shades, it is a total non-issue. Also, many of the crew are in mixed relationships with mixed kids and they will be thrilled to see you and your family, complete with your beautiful black children.

As for the possibility of racist passengers, well that can happen anywhere, what are you gonna do, stay home all your life??

Hae a great trip, I assure you it won't be an issue.:)