OK, I'm Stupid. Is FTTF Really Worth It?

dljones

ABSOLUTELY! I will always do FTTF if available. I enjoy getting on the ship without the masses and going directly to my cabin- having a chance to unwind before heading to lunch or just hit the deck for a quick cocktail before the crowd arrives. You can unpack if you want, or do nothing! But it's less stressful to me.

We bought it on our last cruise and also have for our June cruise. Keep in mind when going through customs, that's where the "fun" ends. There is no FTTF line. We did not have any tender ports on our last cruise but it was worth it to put our carryon bags away and go get lunch.

We bought it on our last cruise and also have for our June cruise. Keep in mind when going through customs, that's where the "fun" ends. There is no FTTF line. We did not have any tender ports on our last cruise but it was worth it to put our carryon bags away and go get lunch.

Customs is never fun. And your cruise is all over. :/ 7 days is about my limit though. I don't know if I could do b2b.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm new to Carnival after several Royal Caribbean cruises. So I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of Carnival and CC is such a great resource for that.

I just checked out the FTTF for my cruise and there were only three left so I grabbed one. Reading all of these comments makes me feel like I really made a good decision.

I do have a few questions. Does anyone know exactly what the FTTF benefit is regarding the dining? It says "priority main dining room and specialty restaurant reservations." What exactly does this mean? Does this mean I get a preference on table location, times, size? Also, aren't all specialty restaurant reservations based on a first come, first serve basis? If so, that would seem to imply that no one can be given preference.

Thanks in advance. Any guidance is much appreciated.

I am debating whether to do FTTF or not. My cruise is not until November, but I know that at some point it will sellout.

I also cannot stand for long periods of time, nor can carry heavy items for long periods of time. I will be travelling solo, so the 50.00 will be for me and me alone, but I am beginning to think I might do this.

I usually arrive at the terminal early, about 10.30 to 11am. And have always been on board by noon, but now since I have this issue with my leg, Im thinking that to board as early as poss for me FTTF would be good, just to drop off my carryon in the room, so I dont have to wander around till 1.30 with it.

There will not be any tender ports, so the only benefit for me will be perhaps less of a checkin line, (less leg pain), slightly earlier boarding, and access to room perhaps an hour or two earlier than normal. So have to give this some more thought before I bite the biscuit. There is a lot that I can do with that 50.00.

Still thinking about it.

also faster line at guest services. That might be something to consider. if you have to go to guest services, sometimes you have to wait a LONG time.

Excellent point since the wait varies and sometimes you need something quick. I am sure happy DD said we needed to get the pass based on different CC comments.

Trying FTTF for the 1st time out of PC end of the May on the Sunshine.

The thought of not having to stand a long time in the terminal, ability to stash our stuff in cabin and get settled earlier is well worth the expense which equates to basically two rounds of drinks for us.

Any suggestions on what time would be optimum to arrive @ the port? we'll be parking in the garage there. I've read varying times mentioned starting @ 9 am. seems a bit early if boarding is cleared @ 11 am, but perhaps the process takes longer there than I've experienced in the past:confused:

When it's time to leave, nice not to have to self-disembark in order to get the jump on the last day of fun in Orlando before we have to catch a late flight home. It's my understanding that after the diamond/platinum we would be able to pick our departure time...hoping before 8 am, is that typically an option as long as ship has been cleared by customs?

TIA:)

Edited by keishashadow

We've been out of Canaveral using FTTF. We usually arrive around 10 or 10:30. We didn't have to wait long. Main reason we had to wait at all was a slow wedding party arrival and they get to board first.

Love that Canaveral has a separate line away from the general boarding for FTTF too.

We're sailing from there in 9 days with FTTF and cannot wait.

Hope you enjoy your first trip using it!

I am debating whether to do FTTF or not. My cruise is not until November, but I know that at some point it will sellout.

Still thinking about it.

You could buy it now and cancel if you change your mind. I had it booked for a May 10 cruise that had to be moved to a different date. I went to the manage my cruise section and selected cancel this excursion (or something like that). My money was refunded to my credit card.

Just to avoid the nasty comments I admit upfront I'm stupid. :p

Now to the question, is FTTF really worth it? What does it get you? Do I buy one ticket for the cabin or one ticket for each passenger?

It took us about 10 minutes from start to finish, security, check in and boarding with the FTTF and we went straight to our room to drop everything off. Even without the tendering it's worth it to us. :o

Both times we've cruised since FTTF, we were happy with our choice not to get it. Once, we arrived at the port very early (9 a.m.) and boarded at 11:10 a.m., ten minutes after FTTF. The second time, we had to travel several hours and arrived after noon. We boarded as soon as we made it through security and check-in. It's not an issue for us to keep our carry-on backpacks for an hour or two, since we find a good place to camp out and take turns sitting with them and getting food, swimming, etc.

For tenders, it depends on the port. The only tender port I've experienced where it would be really useful is Belize, and that's only if you're not taking a Carnival excursion. I have not seen waits for tenders when the ride is short, like Grand Cayman.

Then again, we're the type of cruisers who pack our family into an inside cabin and put nothing on our sign and sail, so YMMV.

I do have a few questions. Does anyone know exactly what the FTTF benefit is regarding the dining? It says "priority main dining room and specialty restaurant reservations." What exactly does this mean? Does this mean I get a preference on table location, times, size? Also, aren't all specialty restaurant reservations based on a first come, first serve basis? If so, that would seem to imply that no one can be given preference.

What it means is that if possible your change in dining (ie going from late to early) would take preference over someone requesting the same without FTTF. Someone with Platinum status would trump you and someone with Diamond status would trump everyone, in fact the Diamond is guaranteed dining requests. The same would go for Specialty dining :D

This thread is great at explaining the FTTF program.

We just booked our June 7 cruise on the Sunshine and all that was left was Any Time Dining. If we purchased FTTF, would we have priority to get switched to a regular dining time?

We just booked our June 7 cruise on the Sunshine and all that was left was Any Time Dining. If we purchased FTTF, would we have priority to get switched to a regular dining time?

You could be wait listed, but you won't get it if it's already filled.

You would go above anyone on the wait list that did not have FTTF...

I have always said that the Priority Embarkation is the best perk in the world when:

1) you arrive behind 5 buses from the airport

2) there is a boarding delay where everyone is there to board at once.

Some ports are better than others...

for example, IF you are sailing from Charleston and parking your car at the terminal, the FTTF will be of little benefit for embarkation because you will not arrive in the terminal until about 1pm (waiting for the warehouse to open to park your car)>..

HOWEVER, the DEBARK will be worth it if you are doing the self assist, because you get to go right after the Diamond/Plats.

The Fantasy crew did an amazing job with the debark last week where priority was concerned!

We've been out of Canaveral using FTTF. We usually arrive around 10 or 10:30. We didn't have to wait long. Main reason we had to wait at all was a slow wedding party arrival and they get to board first.

Love that Canaveral has a separate line away from the general boarding for FTTF too.

We're sailing from there in 9 days with FTTF and cannot wait.

Hope you enjoy your first trip using it!

thank you:) Enjoy your cruise, I can't wait.

we have no tender ports but I can think of no better one than HMC for FFTF to be a big bonus!

Edited by keishashadow