Service Animals on Celebrity Ship?

Illinisue

Still asking (for a girl 11 years old), has anyone encountered a child with a service dog on Celebrity.

Eve

Hi Eve...Roz is our resident expert on Service Dogs and she and Horton are on a cruise this week.

I bet she can answer you next week when she gets back...my guess is that it is up to the parent as to how old the child must be to walk around unattended (not a toddler obviously).

I hope you and your family have a great cruise.

Keith

Still asking (for a girl 11 years old), has anyone encountered a child with a service dog on Celebrity.

Eve

I would assume that the child's service dog can go everywhere the child goes, sans in the pool, as long as the dog is under their control. I've never seen a play area when there was a service dog on any of the cruises I've been on. I would also assume that when the child is with the parents, the dog would accompany them, so it could preform it's tasks. I don't believe that the dog can be left unattended in the cabin, parents would either have to take it with them or make arrangements for its care. Celebrity offers a 4 x 4 area with cypress mulch for the dog to relieve themselves or if leaving from the US, you can request sod in advance of the sailing.

Are children permitted to walk about the ship with a service dog but no adult?

Does a child's service dog sit at the edge of a swimming pool? Does it have a play area onboard the ship? Does it stay in a cabin or play area when the child is with parents?

Eve

Celebrity's policy on service dogs indicate that service dogs can not be left in the cabin unattended and that the staff is not responsible for caring for the dogs. Also, there is no "play area" for service dogs on board. So if a child has a service dog the dog would need to accompany them when they are not in the cabin unless they've arraigned for someone else to take care of the dog during that period.

Here is the info from Celebrity's website: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-service-animals?subtab=true

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the child walking about the ship with their service dog as that would imply that the child and dog were both properly trained. But I think people would have a huge problem if it was not the child's service dog - for example if they were walking around the ship with someone else's service dog.

Edited by Lsimon

Just off the Summit and I saw a elderly lady with her dog so I asked if it was a service dog. She said "Yes, I have a nervous condition and he helps me" So, Celebrity is still allowing comfort dogs onboard.

It might have been a seizure dog that can detect chemical changes in the body prior to a seizure. Not so much for comfort as for safety?

People who are teamed up with service dogs get asked about their partner (and in effect, their disability) just about every time they walk into a public place, more from friendly, interested people than from management. Most come up with a brief explanation, if asked about the dog, and move on.

Then, too, medical issues are private. Somehow the dog's presence leads strangers to inquire about private matters more freely than they would otherwise. So it's understandable if the handler doesn't go into detail.

I'm back from my cruise onboard the Crown Princess. I believe the crew onboard the Crown were some of the best crew members that I've ever encountered since I started cruising in 1985.

Good job Princess!!!! Big Kudos for a job well done!

In order for a dog to have "public access" he/she MUST perform a task for the handler. Dogs in training, emotional support dogs and facility dogs DO NOT HAVE PUBLIC ACCESS rights. They don't have the proper and complete professional training that a Service Dog must have to be in the public.

A minor child MUST be accompanied by an adult when walking or wheeling with their Service Dog. They specifically go to Team Training and learn how to co-partner with their child and the Service Dog. A Service Dog should NOT swim in a public pool onboard a cruise ship unless other specified by the cruise line.

A Service Dog should NEVER be fed from the restaurant table, on public dishes or in public in general. It's not necessary. It may be given water from a paper bowl or from a portable container that the handler carries but NEVER from public dishes.

My Service Dog is fed prior to my entering the restaurant and I try to give him water prior to or after I've left the public venue. It takes excellent planning to walk and/or wheel with a Service Dog.

It's disrespectful to the public to expect that they should accept our dogs on the same level that we do. Our Service Dogs should be as invisible as possible when in the public venue.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Wow, nicely written! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Tom

I'm back from my cruise onboard the Crown Princess. I believe the crew onboard the Crown were some of the best crew members that I've ever encountered since I started cruising in 1985.

In order for a dog to have "public access" he/she MUST perform a task for the handler. Dogs in training, emotional support dogs and facility dogs DO NOT HAVE PUBLIC ACCESS rights. They don't have the proper and complete professional training that a Service Dog must have to be in the public.

A minor child MUST be accompanied by an adult when walking or wheeling with their Service Dog. They specifically go to Team Training and learn how to co-partner with their child and the Service Dog. A Service Dog should NOT swim in a public pool onboard a cruise ship unless other specified by the cruise line.

A Service Dog should NEVER be fed from the restaurant table, on public dishes or in public in general. It's not necessary. It may be given water from a paper bowl or from a portable container that the handler carries but NEVER from public dishes.

My Service Dog is fed prior to my entering the restaurant and I try to give him water prior to or after I've left the public venue. It takes excellent planning to walk and/or wheel with a Service Dog.

It's disrespectful to the public to expect that they should accept our dogs on the same level that we do. Our Service Dogs should be as invisible as possible when in the public venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Service dogs have no rights; it is the person with the disability who has the right to access public places just like everyone else, with the trained service dog as a reasonable accommodation so they are able to have equal access. While the federal laws do not include in-training dogs, some state laws do require access for trainers with in-training dogs.

There is no law requiring a child of any age be accompanied by an adult while using a service dog. Common sense applies, as would any rules from the program or trainer who trained the dog, but there are indeed older children who control their own service dogs. A service dog in the pool is against the health codes (same as public pools on land), so a cruiseline can't allow a service dog in a pool.

I've also contributed to the original law, PL-94-142, which became the Americans With Disabilities Act, so I know the law.

Just an FYI, PL 94-142 is the "Education of All Handicapped Children Act" not the "Americans with Disabilities Act". The ADA is PL 101-336.

Edited by Murray's Pop

Beautifully written and couldn't agree more with your statements. Thank You

BTW Horton Jeffrey is a handsome lad

Edited by johhnnyt