Service Animals on Celebrity Ship?

Illinisue

Because the "sheep" dog doesn't do a "service" to help a human being's physical/mental limitations...big difference...

The quote I was responding to did NOT say "to help a human being's physical/mental limitations". I agree, IF IT DID, there is a big difference. It did NOT and, if as I read, it is the definition of a service dog in the USA, there is a huge problem with the definition.

I fail to see how this definition would exclude such animals as[for just one example] sheep dogs who both provide a service and do work. Still, perhaps, they could be loaned to the kids club on board ...
I have an Old English Sheepdog and she would love to work at the kids club! She could herd those kids all around the ship! Best is, she is cheap, she will work for treats. LOL! Edited by NLH Arizona

I've been on several cruises with 'real' service dogs--mostly for the blind. They were incredibly well behaved and had a relief station set up, a large wooden box with shavings, on the promenade deck. On one ship there were about eight seeing-eye dogs. I enjoyed seeing them.

I've also been on a ship with a questionable service dog; a very cute small dog of the fluffy variety who went everywhere with the owner, but was not restrained and ran all over freely, here and there. It wasn't really much of a nuisance, but obviously not a trained service dog.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer published this article today which is attached as a PDF I hope...

Do you think that the US DOJ would sue on my behalf if i my miniature horse into my room because he makes me feel good. What about my collection of poisonous snakes.

DON

Do you think that the US DOJ would sue on my behalf if i my miniature horse into my room because he makes me feel good. What about my collection of poisonous snakes.

DON

Fair Housing laws don't apply to cruise ships, airplanes, restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

DON

Don - here is a link to the ADA revision covering Service Horses - basically a Service Horse is recognized as a Service Animal with all the protection of a Service Dog, with the exception that the business must be able to accomadate the size of the Service Horse; I don't think there are any such exceptions for Service Dogs.

https://adata.org/factsheet/service-animals

Only Dogs and Miniture Horses are currently recognized by the ADA as Service Animals...I understand an experiment is being undertaken now for Service Dogs to pair with Vets with PTS issues.

to answer your question - I believe a housing establishment could fight the Service Horse question...buy I don't understand why someone would want to.

Snakes - not yet.

Owners of legitimate Service Dogs are currently leading the fight against "fake" service dogs.

Edited by alexspepa

Don - here is a link to the ADA revision covering Service Horses - basically a Service Horse is recognized as a Service Animal with all the protection of a Service Dog, with the exception that the business must be able to accomadate the size of the Service Horse; I don't think there are any such exceptions for Service Dogs.

https://adata.org/factsheet/service-animals

Only Dogs and Miniture Horses are currently recognized by the ADA as Service Animals...I understand an experiment is being undertaken now for Service Dogs to pair with Vets with PTS issues.

to answer your question - I believe a housing establishment could fight the Service Horse question...buy I don't understand why someone would want to.

Snakes - not yet.

Owners of legitimate Service Dogs are currently leading the fight against "fake" service dogs.

I'm pretty sure it is not an experiment pairing service dogs with PTSD Vets. The ADA recognizes PTSD as a disability and the service dogs that help their owners with this disability, should be treated just like any other "true" service dog, according to ADA literature.

I would think that after serving our country to the point of getting PTSD, the least we could do is overlook them having a small dog with them for comfort whether we believe in it or not. Seems fair to me.

Tom

I'm pretty sure it is not an experiment pairing service dogs with PTSD Vets. The ADA recognizes PTSD as a disability and the service dogs that help their owners with this disability, should be treated just like any other "true" service dog, according to ADA literature.

I would think that after serving our country to the point of getting PTSD, the least we could do is overlook them having a small dog with them for comfort whether we believe in it or not. Seems fair to me.

Tom

Although it probably sounds harsh, I don't agree with you unless the dog is trained to the level of a service dog....that is, they sit quietly under the table when the owner is eating (not on a chair or in their lap); they are toilet trained; they never make noise (for a PTSD patient, there would not be need to alert the owner...so no sound), they don't snap at children, etc.

I am extremely supportive of our veterans and I know that some have dogs as their closest friends as a result of PTSD and that makes a tremendous difference in their lives, but there is a difference between a trained service dog and a very friendly pet....large or small doesn't matter.

I can't argue too much with that. If the dog is unruly or unhealthy then, yes, there would be a problem. I don't care if a small dog sits in their lap or not if it helps them cope with "whatever".

Yeah, not snapping at children would be a must.

Tom

Although it probably sounds harsh, I don't agree with you unless the dog is trained to the level of a service dog....that is, they sit quietly under the table when the owner is eating (not on a chair or in their lap); they are toilet trained; they never make noise (for a PTSD patient, there would not be need to alert the owner...so no sound), they don't snap at children, etc.

I am extremely supportive of our veterans and I know that some have dogs as their closest friends as a result of PTSD and that makes a tremendous difference in their lives, but there is a difference between a trained service dog and a very friendly pet....large or small doesn't matter.

Tom

It doesn't matter if it is a small dog or a huge one, no one has to overlook anything, since the ADA recognizes PTSD as a disability and because of that Vets that need the help of a service dog can take them anywhere they want under the law. Edited by NLH Arizona

It doesn't matter if it is a small dog or a huge one, no one has to overlook anything, since the ADA recognizes PTSD as a disability and because of that Vets that need the help of a service dog can take them anywhere they want under the law.

Cool! Of course that doesn't stop people from giving them unseemly looks! 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Summit and I saw a elderly lady with her dog so I asked if it was a service dog. She said "Yes, I have a nervous condition and he helps me" So, Celebrity is still allowing comfort dogs onboard.

Sorry, but her reply tells me NOTHING one way or another... service vs comfort. The dog could be either... Don't think that you can fairly judge unless you have all the facts (is he Certified or not)

Cheers!

I think the experiment is more - can service dogs be trained to perform specific tasks to help people with PTSD. These wonderful animals are trained specifically for each disability, and I believe that this is the first time that they are being tasked with PTSD issues.

I could be wrong - I am sure Roz can answer when she and Horton return from their cruise.

Ptsd.va.gov.

Studies are underway. Certainly dogs are emotional support for ptsd but are so far not service animals.

I was on the april 4 Equinox and while, the dog did not impact my experience, because I never stepped in it, and was not where the dog was, it did not impact my experience.

Let's take this to it's next level, what if everyone taking drugs or over the counter for mood and trauma brought their untrained dog onboard? What if half did? What if there were only 30 untrained dogs onboard.

No one is arguing a dog is not a comfort. Or that those who have legitimate requirements need them. Or that vets are not important and worthy.

At some point, dogs need a level of training to be on a ship in public areas.

The only thing that matters is that the ADA recognizes service dogs for PTSD and these dogs performing a task for the veterans who served their country. A friend's nephew has had a service dog for his PTSD since 2012 and Duke has been a Godsend to this return vet. These dogs are not pets, they perform a service. There are many organizations that train the dogs to perform a service to Vets with PTSD.

From the ADA website:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The only thing that matters is that the ADA recognizes service dogs for PTSD and these dogs performing a task for the veterans who served their country. A friend's nephew has had a service dog for his PTSD since 2012 and Duke has been a Godsend to this return vet. These dogs are not pets, they perform a service. There are many organizations that train the dogs to perform a service to Vets with PTSD.

From the ADA website:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Important point here is the last sentence. The people that cause the problem are the ones that abuse it. I don't think anyone here has a problem with true service dogs. Just those that thinks "muffy" needs to go along. That's the problem and cruise lines should not allow the wanna-be service dogs.

Important point here is the last sentence. The people that cause the problem are the ones that abuse it. I don't think anyone here has a problem with true service dogs. Just those that thinks "muffy" needs to go along. That's the problem and cruise lines should not allow the wanna-be service dogs.

Hear Hear!

Usually it is pretty easy to spot a bogus service dog...a real Service Dog will be well-trained, well-behaved, and will not interact with other people or animals unless "released" to do so by its owner, unless performing its duties requires interaction. A real Service Dog will never eat from the dinner table - in fact if you came late to the table you might never know the dog was even there.

• Like 1

I totally agree and it is getting more and more prevalent in our society today and that is really sad.

Unfortunately, these posers know how to get around the regulations...they know that a cruise line or any other business can't ask them if it is a true service dog. The thing we can do, is report any misbehaving dogs to guest services and if the behavior (sitting on chairs, sitting on tables, being fed from table, pooing or peeing in public areas, etc.), report it to the health department, because a true service dog would not do any of this and this kind of bad behavior is a health risk to us all.

Are children permitted to walk about the ship with a service dog but no adult?

Does a child's service dog sit at the edge of a swimming pool? Does it have a play area onboard the ship? Does it stay in a cabin or play area when the child is with parents?

Eve

Still asking (for a girl 11 years old), has anyone encountered a child with a service dog on Celebrity.

Eve

Edited by EvelynAlexa

Still asking (for a girl 11 years old), has anyone encountered a child with a service dog on Celebrity.

Eve

If they are the trained handler for the dog then there is no age limit in the law. I would hope that no one would try to fake a service dog for an 11 year old.....what a terrible parental example, etc.