Best Time to Book

tennis7

Same answer as when this is asked for all other cruises. Book now. Most cruise lines will give you the new, lower price, if prices should fall, prior to final payment.

The only exception to this is some countries where you are penalized for doing this, as in a canceled cruise losing your deposit.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are looking at a Baltic cruise in May 2015. Prices seem pretty high right now. Any ideas about when the best time to book would be? Thanks!

We've just booked a cruise for May 2015 Baltic, prices mostly go up rather than down as the Baltic sailing season is just about four months. Plan to keep watching the prices, the cruise line usually give you the lower prices if its before final payment. IMO if you think you're getting a price you think the cruise is worth book it, anything lower is a bonus:)

If you are looking for low price, wait until after final payment. HAL prices one category in each type cabin outrageously high. HH in outside, VH in veranda are 2 examples.

Then if ship isn't full (last year & this) they lower the price of the high priced categories (which no one has purchased). That way they don't have to lower prices of categories that people have bought.

For our 5/23 Eurodam cruise a VH veranda went from $5999 to now $1099. Lower than most insides. You can see at cruise fish dot com. Smart marketing.

We unfortunately are visiting daughter elsewhere in Europe & couldn't wait until they dropped the price. Some risk in waiting but reward can be great - 2 for 1 pricing.

If you are looking for low price, wait until after final payment. HAL prices one category in each type cabin outrageously high. HH in outside, VH in veranda are 2 examples.

Then if ship isn't full (last year & this) they lower the price of the high priced categories (which no one has purchased). That way they don't have to lower prices of categories that people have bought.

For our 5/23 Eurodam cruise a VH veranda went from $5999 to now $1099. Lower than most insides. You can see at cruise fish dot com. Smart marketing.

We unfortunately are visiting daughter elsewhere in Europe & couldn't wait until they dropped the price. Some risk in waiting but reward can be great - 2 for 1 pricing.

The problem with this method is expensive last minute airfares can eat up savings by last minute cruise fares. Last minute airfares can also be far less convenient in terms of times and routing. Plus a possible lack of choice in the cabins available.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The problem with this method is expensive last minute airfares can eat up savings by last minute cruise fares. Last minute airfares can also be far less convenient in terms of times and routing. Plus a possible lack of choice in the cabins available.

Yes some risk as I said but I just checked airline prices 3 weeks from now & they are only $30 more than we paid in Feb. Not exactly last minute but little increase from February.

We are looking at a Baltic cruise in May 2015. Prices seem pretty high right now. Any ideas about when the best time to book would be? Thanks!

I booked for May 2015. Prices are high but you have until about next Feb to either cancel or rebook if the prices drop. The prices for 2014( last minute I realize) are all yellow flag specials on the web site - possibly due to the political situation. Depending on sanctions or deployment of NATO countries to the Ukraine area the same may also happen next year - or St. P. may not even be on the route which would make many people cancel before final payment.

I'm also comparing prices and noticed that a number of cruises in 2014, especially from the higher end lines, are half the price or less from their similar itineraries in 2015. Which makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait to book until March/April 2015 to book our cruise for Summer 2015?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Prices for a Baltic Cruise right now are about as low as you will ever see them. Because of the political unrest in that region. Prices for 2015 are basically what they should be and if the unrest continues, they will fall also. If the unrest is settled, expect the price you paid now to become a bargain as the cruise lines will look to make up that lost revenue next year.

Cheers

Len

Prices for a Baltic Cruise right now are about as low as you will ever see them. Because of the political unrest in that region. Prices for 2015 are basically what they should be and if the unrest continues, they will fall also. If the unrest is settled, expect the price you paid now to become a bargain as the cruise lines will look to make up that lost revenue next year.

Cheers

Len

Thanks, that's very helpful advice.

So it would be a good idea to book now and upgrade or cancel near the cruise date, depending on the conditions? Perhaps look if any cruise lines are doing a reduced deposit.

I have booked May 2014 Baltic Cruise on RCCL. I kept an eye the prices for 2013. After final payment the prices went down to almost half. This was the case for Hal, RCCL and CC.

I booked mine with RCCL 43 days before sail date 2 days later there was another price reduction that I was able to get.

Hal’s prices were reduce 60 days out and stayed the same until 30 days out and going.

CC price was reduced for a week 45 days out at very attractive rate (almost half)

Then it was back to normal after one week.

RCCL prices dropped 48 days out stayed the same until 30 days out and going

I found out after I booked that better balcony (D1) prices were reduced to less than what I paid for E3. If it is less you cannot upgrade this is the new game cruise lines play.

I will book my future cruises between 45 to 30 days out. I booked my air with airline miles almost a year in advance, made sure that the dates were in such that I could take two or more similar cruises with my travel dates.

I also found that 45 days out air fairs are not more expensive than booking much more advance.

Booking last minute you get a cabin that you may not like. I am not picky about my cabin location, however at the end I was happy with the cabin location. I don’t think my choice would have been that different if I had picked my cabin a year out.

Good luck

Edited by Sam_127

I have booked May 2014 Baltic Cruise on RCCL. I kept an eye the prices for 2013. After final payment the prices went down to almost half. This was the case for Hal, RCCL and CC.

I booked mine with RCCL 43 days before sail date 2 days later there was another price reduction that I was able to get.

Hal’s prices were reduce 60 days out and stayed the same until 30 days out and going.

CC price was reduced for a week 45 days out at very attractive rate (almost half)

Then it was back to normal after one week.

RCCL prices dropped 48 days out stayed the same until 30 days out and going

I found out after I booked that better balcony (D1) prices were reduced to less than what I paid for E3. If it is less you cannot upgrade this is the new game cruise lines play.

I will book my future cruises between 45 to 30 days out. I booked my air with airline miles almost a year in advance, made sure that the dates were in such that I could take two or more similar cruises with my travel dates.

I also found that 45 days out air fairs are not more expensive than booking much more advance.

Booking last minute you get a cabin that you may not like. I am not picky about my cabin location, however at the end I was happy with the cabin location. I don’t think my choice would have been that different if I had picked my cabin a year out.

Good luck

Obviously you've done very well indeed by holding off your decision.

In our case, and at this point, the price of our cruise has increased within the 90 day period for final payment, and the price of flights would cost us about $600. more. However, flight prices always seem to be in flux.

As many state on this board, if you've found the deal you consider acceptable or attractive then it makes sense to commit. If you wish to see what the future offers, then that may well be a good decision as well. I doubt if there's a simple rule.