Cell service aboard ship departing NYC

AjBren2

Though I do not have the exact answer, I do know the answer will vary widely depending on where on the ship you are. Sitting in an inside cabin will have less signal that being topside. Even the side of the ship will make a difference.

I would think you would have a signal at least past the V bridge for a bit.

Ok. I guess that I have my answer, kinda! So they do not automatically turn on the ships signal as they pull away from the pier and we should be able to keep using land signal as long as we are in range of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

the ships signal will be on.

your mobile phone will be attached to your prover for as long as you can 'see' it.

I guess currently you have automatic network selection? change to just your own network and the signal may well stay longer, or come and go as you move .

Ok. I guess that I have my answer, kinda! So they do not automatically turn on the ships signal as they pull away from the pier and we should be able to keep using land signal as long as we are in range of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you are that worried you could set your phone to just your carrier.

On our B2B I did use the texting, to check on my kids and dogs in the kennel. It was relatively cheap...

From Manhattan Cruise Terminal - signal stregnth varied by carriers: (in addition to those posted above)

CDMA/Verizonwireless - tend to be solid, especially outside cabins & lower decks of mega-ship/closer to land or roadway (12th Avenue)

GSM/AT&T's signal is stronger over T-Mobile - same as above

However, do NOT expect any cellular signal from inside cabins and dropoff in the interior sections of the ship away from oceanview windows/public area as there are dead spots

Signal will begin to fade once the ship passed thru VZ Bridge away from land off the shores of Staten Island & Brooklyn - if on upper decks of bigger ships (i.e. NCL's Breakaway or Carnival Splendor, etc.) the balconies or promenande on lower decks will help squeeze out those dropping signals.

From Cape Liberty / NJ or Brooklyn's Tier - shorter time for land-based signal as it's a shorter run out to sea going pass the VZ Bridge.

Returning to NYC, the signal tend to get picked up a bit early with the ship usually cruising in at a slower speed up the Bay, even before the VZ Bridge is clearly in sight, depending on how close the ship is to nearby shore/land towers (when coming back from Bahamas, Bermuda or Caribbean)

Voice calls are more solid than data as 4G/LTE are on higher frequencies (1700 & 1900 Mhz).

Edited by mking8288

This is all good info :) and yes for one last call to the kiddos:)

As I said earlier, your results vary by carrier - using T-Mo as my primary personal lines, its signal out of NYC is the weakest among the big 3 - and I put mine on 3G/HSPA+ instead of 4G, still plenty fast. Odds are that you will lose mobile data/internet access ("loading" or spinning icons) before losing voice calling ability completely - go to outside/open space (balcony facing land is fine) or AFT section of the ship heading out to sea, or FWD or bow section of ship coming back - to make that one last call and/or upload to FB, etc.

Then, turn OFF at least roaming data if not mobile data completely, depending on your plan/carrier - if not going into Airplane mode. By then, if you are on the Breakaway, you should at least check to make sure that NCL iConceirge has been downloaded and working, registered on the ship's WiFi network to use most of its "free" features.

If you see "MTN" and/or "Welcome to CAS" (Cellular At Sea) usually followed by a SMS text message, and the roaming (triangle) symbol on your mobile device - the ship's satellite tower HAS been switched on & overriding nearby & fainting land cellular signals - careful about huge billing charges onward. SEARCH on CC forum - numerous threads & discussions about the $$$ and what to do / NOT to do, etc.

Edited by mking8288

As I said earlier, your results vary by carrier - using T-Mo as my primary personal lines, its signal out of NYC is the weakest among the big 3 - and I put mine on 3G/HSPA+ instead of 4G, still plenty fast. Odds are that you will lose mobile data/internet access ("loading" or spinning icons) before losing voice calling ability completely - go to outside/open space (balcony facing land is fine) or AFT section of the ship heading out to sea, or FWD or bow section of ship coming back - to make that one last call and/or upload to FB, etc.

Then, turn OFF at least roaming data if not mobile data completely, depending on your plan/carrier - if not going into Airplane mode. By then, if you are on the Breakaway, you should at least check to make sure that NCL iConceirge has been downloaded and working, registered on the ship's WiFi network to use most of its "free" features.

If you see "MTN" and/or "Welcome to CAS" (Cellular At Sea) usually followed by a SMS text message, and the roaming (triangle) symbol on your mobile device - the ship's satellite tower HAS been switched on & overriding nearby & fainting land cellular signals - careful about huge billing charges onward. SEARCH on CC forum - numerous threads & discussions about the $$$ and what to do / NOT to do, etc.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app