Papua New Guinea

Hi, we're off on the Dawn Princess on 31st August this year to Papua New Guinea and South Pacific. We're curious to know what vaccinations have been advised for others on this cruise. We're in the course of having our Hepatitis ones, not sure whether to have the typhoid as we believe they're not 100% effective and also wondering about malaria. Would be interested to hear what others have been advised.

I would definitely have a flu shot (but you might have that anyway).

As a prevention against malaria I suggest using 'bug spray' with a high concentration of DEET. Bushman make excellent products. Long pants and long sleeve shirts could be a good idea when in areas where there could be mosquitoes. You won't encounter them on the ship - it will only when on the shore tours.

Hi, we're off on the Dawn Princess on 31st August this year to Papua New Guinea and South Pacific. We're curious to know what vaccinations have been advised for others on this cruise. We're in the course of having our Hepatitis ones, not sure whether to have the typhoid as we believe they're not 100% effective and also wondering about malaria. Would be interested to hear what others have been advised.

Welcome to Cruise critic. I suggest you check out the smartraveller website http://smartraveller.gov.au/ for the best advice or see a travel doctor.:D

Hi Seaboots.

We did a PNG cruise last November. We had Hep A vacs, also got our tetanus shots up to date and took anti-malaria medication with no ill effects. We did not bother with the typhoid vaccination - our doctor did not press us to have it. Also took Bushman's DEET spray with sunscreen combined, and we were fine.

Enjoy the experience - the people are lovely and most welcoming. :)

• 1 month later...
Hi Seaboots.

We did a PNG cruise last November. We had Hep A vacs, also got our tetanus shots up to date and took anti-malaria medication with no ill effects. We did not bother with the typhoid vaccination - our doctor did not press us to have it. Also took Bushman's DEET spray with sunscreen combined, and we were fine.

Enjoy the experience - the people are lovely and most welcoming. :)

We have just booked the Pacific Dawn for a PNG cruise in February, 2016. We booked because of the itinerary even though we haven't cruised on a P&O Australia ship before.

Would you mind answering some questions. Are we allowed to take on board any wine? Which excursions did you do and would you recommend them? I have read that the food is not as good as on Princess and am wondering if you found this to be true. Also, we are Elite on Princess, does that carry any weight on P&O.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Pacific Dawn when she was the Regal Princess back in 2006. We did South America and Antarctica on her and we did enjoy the ship so hopefully we will have another good experience on her.

Jennie.

Edited by Aussie Gal

We have just booked the Pacific Dawn for a PNG cruise in February, 2016. We booked because of the itinerary even though we haven't cruised on a P&O Australia ship before.

Would you mind answering some questions. Are we allowed to take on board any wine? Which excursions did you do and would you recommend them? I have read that the food is not as good as on Princess and am wondering if you found this to be true. Also, we are Elite on Princess, does that carry any weight on P&O.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Pacific Dawn when she was the Regal Princess back in 2006. We did South America and Antarctica on her and we did enjoy the ship so hopefully we will have another good experience on her.

Jennie.

no wine or alcohol to be taken onboard and elite counts for nothing, the cruising days go towards your princess cruises

you will get an invite to the captains cocktail party and if your in the top 3 cruisers you will get a bottle of champers

rkmw,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I have read that there is no compulsory tipping though you can hand out tips to those who have done a great job. With regard to dining each night how does that work? I notice that there isn't any traditional dining though you have to mark how many you would like at your table. Also are there any formal nights and what sort of prices are the drinks?

Sorry about all the questions but we normally cruise on Princess, HAL, Celebrity etc. and this will be a first for us.

Jennie

rkmw,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I have read that there is no compulsory tipping though you can hand out tips to those who have done a great job. With regard to dining each night how does that work? I notice that there isn't any traditional dining though you have to mark how many you would like at your table. Also are there any formal nights and what sort of prices are the drinks?

Sorry about all the questions but we normally cruise on Princess, HAL, Celebrity etc. and this will be a first for us.

Jennie

with the gratuities on any australian ship they are included in your fare so you dont have to tip anyone unless you want to give extra

they have anytime dining but we eat at the buffet so i cant comment on the dining room and being a non drinker not sure of the prices

with the gratuities on any australian ship they are included in your fare so you dont have to tip anyone unless you want to give extra

they have anytime dining but we eat at the buffet so i cant comment on the dining room and being a non drinker not sure of the prices

We've just been on Pacific Pearl where we quickly found out that you need to book each night as you leave the dining room for the next night. We found our favourite waiter so booked a table in his area each night - early sitting - 5.45, 6.00, 6.15. Late sitting is 8.00, 8.15 if I remember correctly.

Edited by gaechann

So there is actually two sittings and not anytime dining as such which is a pity as we don't eat at 6pm and 8pm is really a bit too late. It is as described Anytime Choice so I assumed that meant come whenever . Thanks for the information at least we will be prepared.

By the way, can you have room service and if so is it a good choice. Also what is the cost of the internet?

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

So there is actually two sittings and not anytime dining as such which is a pity as we don't eat at 6pm and 8pm is really a bit too late. It is as described Anytime Choice so I assumed that meant come whenever . Thanks for the information at least we will be prepared.

By the way, can you have room service and if so is it a good choice. Also what is the cost of the internet?

Jennie

See my edited post. The first night we just turned up about 7.00 then were told by the waiters to book for the next night in the Dining Room so that's how we found out about the 2 sittings.

Of course, if you go to the Buffet it's anytime dining.

Don't know about the internet, we had lots of shore days so didn't need to use it on-board. Similarly, we didn't use room service so can't help you with that either.

Thanks gaechann, I went back and saw the four early sittings. This is a learning curve for us as we haven't been on any of the P&O Australian ships. How did you find the ship and how was the food? I see that you had a great time from your Signature, was it the itinerary, fellow cruisers or everything rolled into one?

Jennie

Thanks gaechann, I went back and saw the four early sittings. This is a learning curve for us as we haven't been on any of the P&O Australian ships. How did you find the ship and how was the food? I see that you had a great time from your Signature, was it the itinerary, fellow cruisers or everything rolled into one?

Jennie

Hello Jennie

We went with no expectations really as we'd read that P&O was a fair step down from our usual RCI cruises but.... we loved the cabin lay-out, the food in the main dining room was usually good, even great at times, the entertainment wasn't up to scratch we thought but the itinerary made up for any short-comings.

We'd certainly sail with P&O again for a special itinerary! We heard from fellow cruisers that the Jewel is a nicer ship and have heard that the Dawn is less so.

Gae

Hi Gae,

We cruised on the Pacific Dawn when she was the Regal Princess and loved our time on her. We had 17 days and sailed around South America and down to Antarctica on her so when I saw the itinerary for Papua New Guinea, we decided to book her. We have booked a suite and we know the layout as friends had one when we were on her in 2006.

Both the Dawn and Jewel were the last two ships being built for Sitmar when Princess took over the line so they are more or less identical. I have read that being on these ships is a 3 star experience so we are expecting a drop in standards after being on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Oceania and Azamara but we do go for the itinerary first of all and this cruise is what we wanted to do. Thanks for all your wonderful information. If you can think of anything else please let me know. As you have cruised on RCI, you will understand my misgivings.

Jennie

Jennie - I'm on Pearl in a fortnight so I'll be sure to scope out the bar prices and room service for you and hopefully remember to report back - if not post me a a reminder :D I too have only sailed RC but have friends that rave about P&O and am going with an open mind on this upcoming trip as a try "before I buy" on a longer itinerary. (namely that PNG cruise as you know ;))

Also Gae - thanks for the explanation of the dining situation - I had no idea and now I've learnt something to save the first night embarrassment :o The other interesting thing I noted is that I've read lots of complaints around these parts about the Jewel and was under the impression that she was the most hated of the 3 and that the Dawn was the most favoured. Nothing like personal opinions to confuse the uninitiated! :rolleyes:

madelk,

I will try and remember to post a reminder to you on this Board unless someone else in the meantime knows the prices. I will be interested in hearing your comments when you return anyway as being "a first timer" to P&O it will be interesting to hear if you found the Pearl to be very different from RCI or perhaps just a few minor things that didn't worry you at all.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

We spent a couple of hours each afternoon in The Dome, the lounge / bar on the top deck. Great for people watching, sipping on cocktails, helping the captain to steer the ship! Saw lots of dolphins from there on sea days!

Gae,

Thanks for that info. Anything you can think of is gratefully received. Did you find the food much different to when you were on RCI? We were on the Ocean Princess in March and we had fabulous food. I don't mind if it is plain food but I hate tough and flavourless meat and overcooked vegetables.

Jennie

Gae,

Thanks for that info. Anything you can think of is gratefully received. Did you find the food much different to when you were on RCI? We were on the Ocean Princess in March and we had fabulous food. I don't mind if it is plain food but I hate tough and flavourless meat and overcooked vegetables.

Jennie

We thoroughly enjoyed the Main Dining Room though the venue was MUCH smaller than what we've been used to! The trick is to try to make friends with one of your waiters who will look after you from then on we've always found.

We would look at a couple of choices then ask him which was best that day! Each time, except once when we didn't ask, just assumed, we were more than happy. The meals are small-medium sized and you also need to ask for a plate of vegetables on the side if, like me, you like them with your main meal.

We rarely had sweets - no room after entrée then the main course. My friend LOVED their Cream Brûlée so really that's all she ordered. I would sometimes have the cheese platter which was a bit hit and miss - some nights lots of different cheeses, savoury biscuits & fruit, other times not so much!

The times we had to eat in the Buffet we always tried to get there early and found that there was plenty of variety to choose from, just no atmosphere there, & no spoiling from our favourite waiter either! LOL!

Gae,

Thanks for that. I am not usually a dessert girl. I usually like a very small entrée, ie. prawn cocktail, then the main course though I do love my vegetables. It certainly sounds as though one doesn't go hungry.

What about room service. Can you order the same menu as the dining room at night or is it just hamburgers and hot dogs etc? We don't like eating in the buffet so that is one area that we won't be frequenting very often as we like to have breakfast in the dining room each day.

At lunchtime was there much to choose from in the Buffet? We like to just make our own sandwiches as we do at home. We always try not to put on too much weight when we are away from home though it is hard not to do so.

Jennie

Hello Jennie

We went with no expectations really as we'd read that P&O was a fair step down from our usual RCI cruises but.... we loved the cabin lay-out, the food in the main dining room was usually good, even great at times, the entertainment wasn't up to scratch we thought but the itinerary made up for any short-comings.

We'd certainly sail with P&O again for a special itinerary! We heard from fellow cruisers that the Jewel is a nicer ship and have heard that the Dawn is less so.

Gae

Everyone has their own opinion of cruises so it makes sense that they told you they liked the Jewel better, in my opinion the Pearl is a much nicer ship than the Jewel. Heard they revamped the Jewel recently and added "the dome" as a bigger space, it used to be the ex teen club stuck in a corner and really little :p

If I were to rank the P&O ships

1-Pearl

2-Dawn

3- Jewel

Pacific Jewel is probably my least favourite cruise ship I have been on, still an amazing cruise and I would go on it again in a heartbeat just doesn't have the magic that the others do!

Everyone has their own opinion of cruises so it makes sense that they told you they liked the Jewel better, in my opinion the Pearl is a much nicer ship than the Jewel. Heard they revamped the Jewel recently and added "the dome" as a bigger space, it used to be the ex teen club stuck in a corner and really little :p

If I were to rank the P&O ships

1-Pearl

2-Dawn

3- Jewel

Pacific Jewel is probably my least favourite cruise ship I have been on, still an amazing cruise and I would go on it again in a heartbeat just doesn't have the magic that the others do!

Thanks for that. We are looking forward to trying something new and also we love the itinerary, which is brilliant. I am sure we will have a great time. How can one not enjoy being at sea, being waited on hand and foot and seeing a most interesting country.

Jennie

• 2 months later...